Stream drops to audio after a short time (1 Viewer)

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    My broadband upload speed is supposedly unlimited

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Are you sure? What broadband technology are you using? ASDL, SDSL, Cable? You may have unlimited broadband traffic but you will likely have defined upload & download connection speeds.

For example I am on ASDL and get 448kbps upload and 6124kbps download speed, I use a wireless-G router which gives 54mbps (54000kbps) speed.

So when I stream over wifi the iPiMP video stream (which by default is about 320kbps) can easily be handled by the 54000kbps wifi. However when I stream over 3G the 320kbps stream is much closer to my ASDL upload speed of 448kbps - and when you add on the inherent overhead of TCP networking, other services etc. then the upload bandwidth cannot support all this and the 320kbps media stream. In that case the video is dropped and the audio continues as that requires smaller bandwidth (64kbps) which can be supported over the upload bandwidth - this his the nature of the adaptive streaming used by iPiMP.

I intend to make some changes in the next version to encode multiple video streams, at different bitrates (bandwidth) into the transcoding including a low bitrate which will hopefully stream over low upload speeds.

You are also at the mercy of your carrier, location etc. for the 3G download speed. It's not an exact science unfortunately, and everyone has different setups.

I have cable broadband, and from what i have gathered my upload speed limit is 512kbps and download is 20mbps ...
    I wasn't aware that the video would dropout...
    Wouldn't it make more sense to have the video pause until it caught up again ( like youtube or something ) ??

I think that my problem is my 3G provider, because even if i use WiFi the stream is still going via the internet. I am not streaming directly on my network as my iPhone connects to the internet via WiFi, so therefore my upload speed is good enough.. problem is that my 3G cannot download quick enough.

cheers

eriberg

March 17, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just registered to say thanks for your great work on this software. With the latest tweaks I've been able to reliably stream ATSC HDTV to my iphone 3gs. I've not gotten WinTV Extend or Orb to work reliably, so your software along with Mediaportal will make streaming tv to the backyard possible again. So thanks again.

If anyone is troubleshooting this, I've had better luck with a framerate of 18 fps (adding -r 18 to config.xml) which keeps the stream from stuttering.

:D

richiesebo

Portal Member
    July 15, 2007
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    On my Galaxy-S and PC there is NO audio, video keeps on buffering then plays for couple seconds. I'm testing via wifi on my LAN. Also trying different setting on config.xml as most suggest and some get it right.

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006
    I've got this same issue. If I stream to my android phone/ipod touch 1g I only get audio... when I check with VLC it plays video for a while then drops to audio. Looked at the audio stream and its wrapped in a transport stream for some reason?

While video is playing it stops every few seconds and reloads the stream as though its moving to the next item on the playlist. Personally it looks like a smooth streaming issue to me. The flash and silverlight streams work fine, although saying that presumably they use the same stream?

I've found the proposed fix by the way earlier in the thread. I'll try this tonight and fingers crossed it will work!

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006
    I've got this same issue. If I stream to my android phone/ipod touch 1g I only get audio... when I check with VLC it plays video for a while then drops to audio. Looked at the audio stream and its wrapped in a transport stream for some reason?

While video is playing it stops every few seconds and reloads the stream as though its moving to the next item on the playlist. Personally it looks like a smooth streaming issue to me. The flash and silverlight streams work fine, although saying that presumably they use the same stream?

I've found the proposed fix by the way earlier in the thread. I'll try this tonight and fingers crossed it will work!

The fix didn't work. Also, it looks like you've already updated the presets on the version for 1.2beta which I'm using anyway. I still have the same issue. Which logs do you require for this? I'm fairly sure this used to work when I used iPimp a couple of years back.

Cobra_dk

September 11, 2011
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi guys,

I have the exact same problem. That the Video stops after a few seconds and then after a few seconds only the audio comes back.

My setup is:
    WLan: 11.n
    CPU use: 32-43%
    Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
    Mediaportal TV server 1.2 Beta
    iPimp 5.2 beta
    DVB-C TV-Tuner: MyGear USB dvb-t c tuner (chipset eMPIA 2885) with the newest drivers
    Drivers used: http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/drivers/IC_drivers/2010VIDEO/BDA_UAC_WHQL_082010_Setup.rar

Tested on both an iPad 2 and iPhone 4 with IOS 4.3.3

The reason why I now have installed the beta versions is because I had the same issue with the video drops after a few seconds on the Mediaportal 1.1.3 and iPimp 4.x versions.

I have tried to add both -r 18 and -23 in the config.xml however that did not make any difference, the issue is still there. Not sure though if I have added -r the correct place. I have added it all three places after keyint -50.

As a remark, I'm able to stream flawless via. XMBC with PVR on both my win 7 64-bit laptop and on my iPad 2 also with XBMC.

Any ideas on how I can solve this issue?

Regards,
    Cobra_dk

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey cheezey,
    Are we any closer to a solution to this problem ? Still can't
    stream any video for more than about 7 - 10 seconds before
    getting the dreaded black screen.
    I'm running v5.2 on MP 1.2.1 final.

Cheers

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hey guys,
    Finally had a chance to test again on the road using 3G, but this issue persists.
    Video drops out after about 5 seconds but audio continues.
    This after making the changes suggested earlier by cheezey .

I found the 3G issue, it is not something easily fixed..

i did some research and because my provider uses DPI (deep packet inspection) they have concluded that videos (like youtube) are most of the time not fully watched, so there networkmanagement tool , lets it download in parts.. that doesnt matter for youtube , but our livestreaming is affected because of this "management"..

i contacted vodafone, and the solution will be one of the following:
    1) wait untill 1-jan 2012 as the "net neutrality law" will be effective, and so there not allowed to "shape" traffic anymore
    2) switch to a business contract as they dont shape traffic on that either (costs factor 4 more then now).
    3) dont use live streaming :(

I dont know how or if this shaping is in effect also in other countries but for people in the netherlands it is..

p.s. if you experience video drop out on your WIFI connection , log into your router and disable QOS or similar.. :D

MarioLaul

Portal Member
    September 24, 2012
    Home Country
    Estonia Estonia
    Hi, what should I do. used in the iPad 1-s, and if the Safari browser open iPiMP page, and then click the "Play" button, video image for about 6 seconds or20 seconds and then the picture disappears, but voice that there is a . As if the stream is still playing on, without images.

I do not know any more about the test, I put it after the skip-b 256k -r 25 but it is of no use still same problem.

I need help

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom