StreamMP skin on MP2? (1 Viewer)

smarty12345

Portal Pro
November 23, 2011
United Kingdom
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Pivoting between the two worlds of MP1 and MP2 I realized though that a lot of the criticism that people express stems from difficulties to abandon long-trained MP1 habits. After having used MP 2.1 now for a week, I can say that I don't have problems to use it - once you realize that the full screen video picture is restored with the red button ;).

For me, this is one of my main issues, I do not use a remote and have no interest in doing so. I use a keyboard with integrated mouse that all my family including tots know how to use. MP2 seems to be designed with the idea of remotes as the main control and keyboard users have to tough it out. I find the navigation of MP2 by keyboard headache inducing with multiple clicks, cycling round and round, having to hold shift for certain things etc. There is no way my family would use it.
On top of that the wiki is mostly techy stuff on binding keys to remote buttons and almost nothing on keyboard useage.
I keep trying every new verison of MP2. But so far, its still a no for me. And I actually quite like the current skins for MP2. (though I do prefer StreamedMP on MP1)

FrankBert

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2007
    May I ask, which of you is using a remote control like me, and which is using a keyboard and mouse to control MP?
    I believe this is a fundamental usability difference.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    May I ask, which of you is using a remote control like me, and which is using a keyboard and mouse to control MP?
    I believe this is a fundamental usability difference.
    I'm using remote in living room and here BV with Win10 theme works perfectly. In bed room I use mouse only and here the WMC skin is perfect. But I see, that most skins go into the direction being more mouse friendly. There is still some improvement potential though.

FrankBert

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2007
    Well, unfortunately even with the new implementation of the remote control functionality in MP2.2.1, the user interface still has completely unlogical operation using a MCE remote control.

Here a test watching TV in full screen mode:

- Press the Info button on the remote - press Info again does not close the info but instead opens the player configuration - why?
    - Press EPG opens Program-EPG - press back does not close the EPG but instead opens another EPG window - why?
    - Back button does not close EPG but jumps back to the main screen - why this?
    - Now in the main screen the TV runs in background - pressing the TV button does not jump back to full screen TV but shows EPG - strange
    - I didn't find a way to jump back to full screen with the remote

Depending the skin you use - sometimes things work as expexted, some not - but always different and never fully logical using a remote control.
    All this perfectly worked with StreamedMP and MP1.

I would be happy if someone could explain how the behavoir can be changed - I would be happy to invest some time to set it up correctly.

Besides that I do wonder that there are only 3 skins available (with some themes) - is it so complicated to generate themt?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Press the Info button on the remote - press Info again does not close the info but instead opens the player configuration - why?
    Because you did not configure the behavior in the settings.

Press EPG opens Program-EPG - press back does not close the EPG but instead opens another EPG window - why?
    This has to do with the work states, see also MP2-704. Press EPG a second time to close - or use the red button.

I didn't find a way to jump back to full screen with the remote
    Press 'Red' or select 'Full screen' in the context menu

s it so complicated to generate themt?
    Yes. Ask any skinner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread