SUGGESTION BOX: Additions for the Rename database system (1 Viewer)

fredco

Portal Pro
November 13, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Custom is possible, but not preferable. I'd rather wait until it's added to the default. And although I would love to take some work out of your hands and do the additions myself I'm a little worried that inconsistencies might slip in when not reviewed by the master first. I think it's always better when the final review before adding to the default is done by one person who applies the "rules" in the same manner. I think I understand your mode of operation quite well, but sometimes I am not completely sure. Anyway, below is F to J:

<rename id="tt2030345" title="Anubis III: ...en de Terugkeer van Sibuna" />

<rename id="tt2322441" title="Fifty Shades I: ...of Grey" />
<rename id="tt4465564" title="Fifty Shades II: Darker" />
<rename id="tt4477536" title="Fifty Shades III: Freed" />
<rename id="tt0356634" title="Garfield I" />
<rename id="tt0455499" title="Garfield II: A Tail of Two Kitties" />
<rename id="tt5308322" title="Happy Death Day I" />
<rename id="tt8155288" title="Happy Death Day II: 2U" />

Next is K to O.

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    You're going through A-Z quick, so I'll wait till you're done and add them in a single update.

PS: Fifty Shades is already in the system, but it's one of the rare ones where I didn't add Roman Numerals, but do control the sort-by-order. Underlying reason for that is to keep the SMS-filtering active as much as possible. It does not make it easy to understand with all the little inconsistencies, but we all have different preferences and the "custom" method is always there to allow the default to be overwritten.

fredco

Portal Pro
    November 13, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Here is K to S:

<rename id="tt0058331" title="Mary Poppins I" />
    <rename id="tt5028340" title="Mary Poppins II: Returns" />
    <rename id="tt1229238" title="Mission: Impossible IV: Ghost Protocol" />
    <rename id="tt2381249" title="Mission: Impossible V: Rogue Nation" />
    <rename id="tt4912910" title="Mission: Impossible VI: Fallout" />
    <rename id="tt2302755" title="Olympus Has Fallen I" />
    <rename id="tt3300542" title="Olympus Has Fallen II: London Has Fallen" />
    <rename id="tt6189022" title="Olympus Has Fallen III: Angel Has Fallen" />
    <rename id="tt0032910" title="Pinocchio (Cartoon)" />
    <rename id="tt1386697" title="Suicide Squad I" />
    <rename id="tt6334354" title="Suicide Squad II" />

With this a few things are open for debate:

1. Mission: Impossible. I changed the movies that have a subtitle. I changed the "-" into ":". I know, a VERY small adjustment, but it makes it more consistent with renaming rules. Thing against this is the double use of ":" in one title.
    2. Olympus Has Fallen. Although I understand your approach, it seems a little odd to see London and Angel sorted in the otherwise alphabetical list suddenly around the "O". It makes searching for them a lot harder, if you aren't aware of the thinking behind it.
    3. Suicide Squad. The new movie is called: THE Suicide Squad and nowhere I can find an alternative title with a 2 in it. Maybe it isn't meant to be a successor? I don't know the movies that well.
    4. In scanning my library I also came across the Star Wars series. Although it has already been done I wonder why "Han Solo" and "Rogue one" don't have a Roman numeral. I know virtually nothing about this franchise, so I cannot judge about this. Just saying...

Next up is T to Z.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    With this a few things are open for debate:

4. In scanning my library I also came across the Star Wars series. Although it has already been done I wonder why "Han Solo" and "Rogue one" don't have a Roman numeral. I know virtually nothing about this franchise, so I cannot judge about this. Just saying...

Fair point on the others, so I might redo default. But for Star Wars, the Han Solo and Rogue One are stand-alone movies that had a shot at becoming their own series at a time. They are either somewhat of an origin stories such as with Han Solo, or they fill a gap in the story line of the main series. Nobody that wants to watch the "Star Wars" series will want to interrupt the two trilogies sequential order as they will have a hard time already deciding to watch it in 1-6 chronological order, or in theatrical release order of 4-6 first, followed by the 1-3 prequel.

And massive amount of other spin-offs are planned by Disney.

PS: Massive gasp you don't know the Star Wars franchise, and otherwise perfect time to start (y)

fredco

Portal Pro
    November 13, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yes, I know about my omission on Star Wars! This should really be corrected especially because me and my family are all VERY big fans of Walt Disney World (FL) which we visit every year. Except the last two years thanks to Covid.
    But we follow the news within WDW closely and read about the completely new Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge area, which we will certainly visit as soon as we are being allowed to fly to the USA. Then we need our knowledge on Star Wars. What order exactly do you recommend viewing? We will then start asap...

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I'm Theatrical order all the way, but it has been my intention to eventually watch them again in chronological order. This also preserves the big cinematic climax, but you've probably already seen memes and other info that makes you fully aware on the "shocking reveal".

Even though the prequels were conceptually already part of Lucas' plan, there are still some flaws with it. At the same time no matter how many times it gets remastered you're still watching a movie from 1977 if you begin with the original "first" one. The behind the scene documentaries are amazing though how they used tiny amounts of explosives on the highly detailed models to simulate X-wings getting blown up and where ILM (Industrial Light & Magic) started.

You can't really go wrong either way. If you watch it 1-6 order you will get some more understanding in the character development and reasoning behind their choices, but "Star Wars (1977)" -- 4th one in series can easily be watched first, because the famous sliding opening credits tell you all you need to know.

And screw the remakes, Han shot first (y)

So, I'm still going to recommend theatrical order and do 4-6 first, then 1-3, and then 7-9 (even if you won't be surprised).

Then watch Han Solo, and Rogue One to gain insight on the events between 3rd and 4th.

Full chronological order (including TV-series):
    • Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
    • Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)
    • Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008-2020)
    • Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
    • Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
    • Star Wars Rebels (2014-2018)
    • Rogue One (2016)
    • Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
    • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)
    • The Mandalorian (2019-present)
    • Star Wars: Resistance (2018-2020)
    • Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)
    • Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)
    • Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
    Movies are in bold.

fredco

Portal Pro
    November 13, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Great! Thanks for your elaborate answer! I will certainly follow your advice and view them in theatrical order. And we will make sure it happens before our highly anticipated next visit to WDW...

Users who are viewing this thread