Trak.tv on MP2 (1 Viewer)

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Lehmden is right, currently the syncing from Trakt.tv to MP2 is not implemented. But, I wanted to add this feature anyway.

There are use cases, even using only MP2 clients, where this feature is useful. For instance, you're watched an episode from your TV Show not at home (i.e. at friend's place). You can then set the watched status on the Trakt website or in an mobile app with your smartphone. It would be very nice if MP2 can receive this status, so that you don't have to do it manually with your remote in MP2.
    You can also watch a movie on your tablet where you don't have an MP2 client. You can view this movie with a different app which is also connected to your Trakt.tv account. Then again, it would be good if the status gets transferred to your MP2 client.

ltfearme has done an excellent job implementing all the API features from Trakt.tv in his plugin. The ported MP2 version contains it already. To make it "visible" in MP2 it's just a matter of a lot of GUI work (in case of the screens) and finding the right place in the MP2 media library (in case of the watched status). It would be silly to not utilize all the hard work ltfearme put in this plugin.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    finding the right place in the MP2 media library
    And this will be an issue longer than you probably might expect. Atm the playcount is "recycled" for the watched status and it's cleared (set to zero) if you set something as unwatched. Easy to achieve, no doubt about this. But this definitely will brake with the MIA rework as a virtual media item (aka a Movie with tt number but not the video file that holds a movie) can not be played at all. The watched status has to be assigned to the movie, not to the specific video file, if this ever should make sense. And exactly this is technically impossible now. For situations like this the MIA rework was first targeted.
    Everything you've implement for this today must be completely redone in some month. The "one way solution" that is now used should be independent of the MIA rework, so it's nice and safe to do this now. And this also is the reason why the "old" trakt plugin only was a "one way solution" too... Everything that "writes" into MP2 media library is bound to be lost soon.
    It would be silly to not utilize all the hard work
    Of course it should be used, if it's there already. But as told, I don't think it's worth the work to port it today. It should be done after the MIA rework the better.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Cool down, Lehmden :) I didn't say I will do this right now. I simply wanted to say that the feature is useful, even in a MP2 world.
    You probably know, that I already asked in the internal thread about syncing the watched progress. And you probably noticed the discussion about getting from ML the audio channels number. I know, it all depends on the MIA-Rework.

I only wanted to say, that there are plans to get it implemented, as it's a useful function.

eRJe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2009
    Den Helder
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I too would like to see this option. Currently I use PLEX to stream content while I'm away from home. TRAKT would be the perfect way to keep everything in sync.

RoadBlock2000

Portal Member
    September 9, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    With the v2.1 Pre Release I though I'd give MP2 another look. Having scanned my library I was looking how I could get the watched flags synced up and found this thread. I would like to add my vote for a full two-way sync with Trakt.tv and hope the Developers can give it some consideration.

Many Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread