TV Server scheduling EVERYTHING to record (1 Viewer)

Neil McIlwraith

Portal Member
May 8, 2016
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all - urgent help needed please! :(

I've got a very critical issue occurring on my main MP client. I first noticed it when I was getting an error on the client stating Live TV was stopping as there were no available tuners due to recording. As I wasn't recording anything I go to check the guide and every channel and every program in the guide is scheduled to record!!

It took a very long time to remove each of them from the TV Server Configuration Schedule tab, but it keeps happening again and again but without any major indicator or reason why. It seems to be occurring when I browse the guide, where somehow the channels I browse through are all selected to record for the whole guide timeline for that channel and any other channel on that same digital frequency?

I've attached a client log and screenshot from the TV Server schedule tab in the hope that someone can help shed some light. Sorry for the log size, I had to run the MP WatchDog for a day before the issue occurred (as this is quite random/sporadic). There's no other issues with MP other than this one.

I love MP but unless this can be fixed I'll be forced to ditch it as it's too disruptive to keep having to delete the schedules every few days (losing all Live TV in the meantime) not to mention the havoc it creates with my server hard drive with the huge amount of recorded files it's creating.

My setup:

MP version 1.14 (all clients/server)
Client - Intel NUC - Windows 10 - 8 GB RAM
Server - HP Proliant - Windows 10 Pro - 16 GB RAM
Server TV Tuner(s) - Blackgold DVB-T2 (UK Freeview)
Client Remote - Logitech Harmony Ultimate/Hub

Thanks in advance for any assistance! Please let me know if you need more info.

2016-05-17_19-45-59.jpg[DOUBLEPOST=1463514492][/DOUBLEPOST]Attaching the most recent TV Server logs in case it helps also.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

I can't see any indication of how these schedules were created in your log files. I can only guess that you have the record button/key jammed on your keyboard/remote for one of your systems. I can't think of any other way that MediaPortal/TV Server itself would do this.

Neil McIlwraith

Portal Member
    May 8, 2016
    Home Country
    Hi - many thanks for the update. That's really strange then. I did wonder if it could be some signal that the Logitech Harmony is sending out, but what confused me is how EVERYTHING on a channel is being recorded, not just the current show that I browse through in the guide. For example, in that above screenshot of the scheduler you can see that every program on that channel is scheduled to record (for the next 1 or 2 days that the guide has data for). Is that even a command that MP would have in the key mapping?

Alternately I don't really use the recording/DVR functionality - is there any way of disabling the scheduler altogether until I get chance to diagnose this further (e.g. Timeshifting only)? I tried setting the max tuners to 1 in the recording settings to try and help control this a little but it still seems to try and use every single tuner in recording all these schedules.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I had also taken a look into your logs yesterday and could not see any reason for shows geting scheduled.

but it still seems to try and use every single tuner in recording all these schedules.
    Right, AFAIK that's the desired behavior since you want cards to be used as much as possible before being kicked. You change the User Priorities though by incrasing hte user value to some higher number or rather reducing the scheduler value from currently 100 to say 10. This way you are at least not kicked when you are watching TV.

With respect to identifying the root cause: Can you just let the TVServer run for som time without having any client active? Normally you should then not get any show scheduled, which would allow to narrow down things a little bit.

Neil McIlwraith

Portal Member
    May 8, 2016
    Home Country
    Thanks for the quick response - the TV Server actually runs 24/7 (with no activity/clients attached for the majority of the day) and the issue only presents when I'm using one specific client. So I'm fairly confident that when the TV Server is 'idle' there's no issue (when left it can go for days with no schedules being auto-created).

As an update, since I've posted the original issue, I've updated to the latest pre-release for the client. I'll also look to change some settings in the Harmony remote and remove a 'Remote Control Android App' (remotemouse.net) I'm also using on the client to see if there's any improvement there. I'll probably do a clean install of the MP client whilst I'm at it.

Will post updates if/when I get further issues. Thanks again.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As an update, since I've posted the original issue, I've updated to the latest pre-release for the client.
    I am not sure what you mean when you refer to "pre-release". You are actually using 1.14.0, which is the most recent MP version. The way you describe the symptoms in your post here clearly points to this particular client, yet I doubt that this is in any way doue to an incorrect install of MediaPortal. Fresh installation of MP very rarely cures issues.

You seem to be on the right track to pin-point the root cause by looking at the remote control elements.

Neil McIlwraith

Portal Member
    May 8, 2016
    Home Country
    I am not sure what you mean when you refer to "pre-release". You are actually using 1.14.0, which is the most recent MP version. T

Ah - my mistake, I assumed the pre-release was the latest build but hadn't notice it was the same as the general release version! Thanks for confirming.

Neil McIlwraith

Portal Member
    May 8, 2016
    Home Country
    Quick update. I uninstalled the Android soft-remote and changed the Logitech remote 'repeat' setting to trigger each media center command once rather than twice, but... No difference unfortunately, the entire guide has been scheduled twice in the last two days.

What's confusing me is what possible command could schedule everything (including future programs) to record with BOTH Once and Always options just by browsing the guide?[DOUBLEPOST=1463945862][/DOUBLEPOST]Is there a way to disable the schedule altogether and just use live TV timeshifting? I'm getting desperate! :(

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can you post the logs from the "twice in the last two days"?

Neil McIlwraith

Portal Member
    May 8, 2016
    Home Country
    Unfortunately I wasn't running the client in Watchdog mode, but I've attached the below TV Server Log from the last 2 days, it just happened again now (from 11:25 in log) so you can see the recent scheduler activity (and subsequent frantic deletion from myself!) such as :

[2016-05-23 11:26:52,803] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [DEBUG] - IsTimeToRecordEveryTimeOnThisChannel: This is ITVBe+1, 22/05/2016 06:00:00
    [2016-05-23 11:26:53,773] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - Scheduler: Time to record ITVBe+1 11:26-04:00 This is ITVBe+1
    [2016-05-23 11:26:53,775] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - Controller: find free card for channel ITVBe+1
    [2016-05-23 11:26:53,775] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - Controller: find card for channel ITVBe+1
    [2016-05-23 11:26:53,779] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - Controller: got 1 tuning details for ITVBe+1
    [2016-05-23 11:26:53,781] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - Controller: channel #1 DVBT:tv: ITVBe+1 Freq:506000 ONID:9018 TSID:12294 SID:15864 PMT:0x1B5 FTA:True LCN:58 BandWidth:8

Which is example of schedules created without any input from myself. Thanks for any support & please let me know if there's any other logs/workarounds I can try.

Attachments

• TVService 20160523.zip
      202.7 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom