TV Server Setup -> TV Channels, All Channels Tab, Channel Column (1 Viewer)

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    What exactly are the numbers displayed under the subject column? Specific detail would be helpful. This is for clear QAM channels.
    Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The content of the column is the channel name.

The content of the channel name itself depends on various things including but not limited to:
    • scan results
    • your cable provider
    • which version of MediaPortal you're using
    If you'd like a more specific answer then please give specific examples.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Hi MM,
    I meant to ask about the channel NUMBER column -- sorry. Example, 19 for KVOA HD on the attached image.
    Specifically, would these numbers be the ones defined here: http://eaglecomtronics.com/Cable_Television_Channel_-_Frequency_Chart.pdf ?
    (I suspect not, since I see 2 view-able HD channels assigned to one 6MHz channel number)
    MP version is in System Specs under my user name at left, isn't it?

Cal

(I suspecttv server.JPG

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Cal

MP version is in System Specs under my user name at left, isn't it?
    Yes, however I wasn't sure that the details there were correct (people often forget to update them), especially considering that they say you're using MP 1.2.3.

Are you really still using MP 1.2.3?

Specifically, would these numbers be the ones defined here
    Almost certainly not... but then MP 1.2.3 is so old that it's hard to remember much about its nitty gritty details.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Are you really still using MP 1.2.3?
    Yes -- because it still works. I've looked and even installed MP2 a couple of times (on a separate W7 disk), and have the latest version to try. But so far, it hasn't worked right for basic record/playback TV, and I don't really like the way it looks (ie, the available skins -- I want SIMPLE!!!!!)

Almost certainly not...
    OK -- but a little hard to believe that 'someone' would just make up different numbers, when cable TV frequencies and associated channel numbers are well defined and readily available. Seems to me that I saw the actual tuned frequencies somewhere ---
    (on the other hand, I have seen a few things that didn't actually exist, and vice versa)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes -- because it still works. I've looked and even installed MP2 a couple of times (on a separate W7 disk), and have the latest version to try. But so far, it hasn't worked right for basic record/playback TV, and I don't really like the way it looks (ie, the available skins -- I want SIMPLE!!!!!)
    That's fine and entirely up to you. Use whatever version you prefer. I'd note:
    1. Personally I don't use MP2 either.
    2. There are lots of newer versions of MP1.
    3. If you choose to use an older version of MediaPortal such as 1.2.3 then it becomes increasingly difficult to answer questions such as the one you've asked.
    OK -- but a little hard to believe that 'someone' would just make up different numbers, when cable TV frequencies and associated channel numbers are well defined and readily available. Seems to me that I saw the actual tuned frequencies somewhere ---
    (on the other hand, I have seen a few things that didn't actually exist, and vice versa)
    Respectfully, I think you're mixing up physical channel numbers with logical/virtual channel numbers.

Yes, there are well defined US cable frequency plans with associated physical channel numbers. TV Server has the frequency and physical channel numbers stored in the tuning detail associated with each channel.

However, what you're looking at (ie. the channel number column) is meant to store the logical/virtual channel number. Those are the numbers that you use to select a channel with a remote control. Logical/virtual channel numbers are provider-specific and - unfortunately - usually not available for clear QAM.

TV Server wouldn't "make up" physical channel numbers... but it would auto-generate default logical/virtual channel numbers in the case that they weren't acquirable via channel scan.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    No argument about mixing things up. That's why I asked.
    Those are the numbers that you use to select a channel with a remote control.
    However, I really don't understand what you mean be this -- maybe because I don't have MP setup to respond to remote control channel input.
    The TV remote input for the first channel in my list is 4.2, and how can a 'channel number' select a channel when 2 or more channels have the same number? And since the frequencies/physical channel numbers are available, why not use them?
    This doesn't matter in the slightest anyway, so don't worry about it. Frequencies are what I'm after, and I'll get then from the tuning detail. Would be nice if they were readily available in a list like 'All Channels' above.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    maybe because I don't have MP setup to respond to remote control channel input.
    MP works the same way if you punch in numbers on a keyboard.

how can a 'channel number' select a channel when 2 or more channels have the same number?
    Don't quote me on this, but I think 1.2.3 goes through the channel group and selects the first channel with the matching number.

Yes, logical/virtual channel numbers are intended to be unique, but I don't think TV Server has ever enforced that. Obviously in your case there are some numbers that are not unique... and the idea would be that you would fix that, if you cared about using a remote to select channels.

And since the frequencies/physical channel numbers are available, why not use them?
    Because there are usually multiple channels broadcast on/within each frequency or physical channel.

Frequencies are what I'm after, and I'll get then from the tuning detail.
    If you had told me this initially I could have possibly been more helpful.

If I wanted quick access to the frequency for each channel in a list I'd use the "import/export" section of TV Server Configuration to export my TV channels, then examine/edit/format the resulting export file in a text editor (notepad, word etc.).

Would be nice if they were readily available in a list like 'All Channels' above.
    Sorry, that's not possible because a given TV Server channel can be comprised of more than one "provider channel".

For example, say that in addition to Comcast cable, you also had satellite TV or ATSC OTA. TV Server enables you to merge the common channels (ie. CBS from Comcast can be merged with CBS from the other provider/source, NBC from Comcast can be merged with... etc. etc. etc.), which enables more flexibility when it comes to recording. Obviously the two providers/sources aren't going to have every channel on the same frequency.

Can't be more helpful than that unless you tell me what you're actually trying to achieve. :)

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    MM, I would say that I have to disagree with you about what the channel numbers represent, except for one (as in 1) little thing. (and the fact that you know what you're talking about and I don't)
    From TV Server Setup -> TV Channels, All Channels Tab, Select channel and Edit, select channel again and edit > Tuning Detail, the channel numbers displayed (which you stated above are the physical channel numbers) are identical to the ones in the All Channels list above, and frequencies displayed 'exactly' correlate to the EIA channel designations -- except that the channel numbers are off by 1. For KVOA HD above, the frequency is 145.25 MHz, which is channel 18 instead of 19.
    I have checked multiple channels, and this situation is true in every case.

Happy co-incidence? Highly doubtful. Slight MP error? Possible. Default to physical (plus error) if nothing else is available? Seems reasonable to me. Or it just is. I recognize that the channel numbers could/would be different for other parts of the world, different feeds, and combined sources. The clear QAM tuning numbers are also in the tuning detail -- 4.2, 13.2, 4.1, 23.1, etc.
    Instead or re-discussing the possibilities, I'll just say that I'm happy to see the that my channel numbers are directly related to source frequency (and think they should be).

My provider is Orbitel, not Comcast, a little half-whatever organization in southern Az. Let's just say that their cable 'setup' is a damn mess: multiple versions of the same channel on different frequencies (often changed without telling anyone), and 2 different TVs can use the same QAM tuning numbers and get different channels!!!!! (that last part MIGHT be fixed now, maybe) Courtesy of MP and Hauppauge, I can 'see', but not tune, the whole cable.

Now that you've chastised me for not upgrading, I have some question about that. Here, or different thread?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Cal,

I'd like to strongly emphasize once again that v1.2.3 is so old that I don't remember the nitty gritty details of how it works. The one thing I can say with certainty is that the "channel number" column that you've been looking at does contain what TV Server considers to be the logical/virtual channel number. The fact that those numbers [almost] match physical channel numbers in your specific clear-QAM-Orbitel case is almost certainly a function of how v1.2.3 chooses default logical/virtual channel numbers when they're not otherwise available.

I'm not chastising you for not upgrading. Quite the opposite. As I said previously: use whichever version of MP suits you best. I only ask that you adjust your expectations in relation to support (fixes, accurate answers to questions etc. etc. etc.) according to the age of the version of MP you choose to use. The older the version, the less likely you are to get fixes, and the more likely you are to get spurious answers (...if any at all).

Users who are viewing this thread