[solved] TV service (EPG grabbing while idle) prevents Windows Standby (2 Viewers)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As long as EPG runs, Windows Standby mode is prevented.
    I think that you will need to provide more information if you want to solve this problem. Start by telling us:
    • What version of Windows you are using.
    • What version of MP you are using.
    • What CPU your HTPC has (this indicates the age of your system).
    • Whether you have a "single seat" setup, or use multiple MP clients.
    • Post screen shots of the following "TV Server Config" panels: "DVB EPG", "TV EPG Grabber", "Radio EPG Grabber".
    Although I currently use the timeshift grabber once per day (see this post), I have in the past used the idle grabber. Often it would cause the HTPC to continue running for a period of time after finishing watching or recording, but the HTPC would sleep or hibernate after that period of time had passed (around 15 minutes in my case). The behaviour is dependent on the settings in "TV Server Config".

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

horned_reaper

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 7, 2011
    Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    • What version of Windows you are using: Windows 10 Pro 21H1
    • What version of MP you are using: MediaPortal 1.29 Pre-Release
    • What CPU your HTPC has (this indicates the age of your system): AMD Athlon II X4 620e
    • Whether you have a "single seat" setup, or use multiple MP clients: "Single seat" setup (HTPC)
    • Post screen shots of the following "TV Server Config" panels: "DVB EPG", "TV EPG Grabber", "Radio EPG Grabber": see attchments
    The setting Do not put the computer to sleep while grabbing EPG option is not selected but it doesn't take effect:
    1630184705016.png

Attachments

• TV.png
      TV.png
      218.1 KB
    • TV2.png
      TV2.png
      294.8 KB
    • TV3.png
      TV3.png
      303.4 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Thank you for providing the information requested. (y)

If you have not yet read this post, please read it now. It will provide some background information about how the EPG is organised. Your DVB EPG settings do not look optimal, so I will address those first and leave "PowerScheduler" settings to later (they may not need changing).

Make the changes that I suggest below when you have at least one hour to make the changes and test the outcome; do not make these changes whilst recording or watching TV.

(1) Look through the channels in your EPG and select one of the major channels in your country. For example, in the UK, I would select the "BBC1" channel, as the BBC is our national broadcaster. The channel selected should be a 24-hour channel. Do not choose a part-time channel (unless you have no 24-hour channels).

(2) On the "DVB EPG" panel:
    • Select "Always try to fill holes".
    • Select "Always try to update existing entries".
    • Select "Enable CRC check".
    • Do NOT select "Grab EPG only for channels on same transponder".
    • Do not change timeshift grabber settings (these are not critical).
    • Change idle-grabber "Timeout" to 15 minutes.
    • Change idle-grabber "Refresh every" to 1400 minutes.

(3) On the "TV EPG Grabber" panel:
    • Do NOT select "Store data only for selected channels".
    • Deselect all channels except for the channel selected in (1).
    • Deselect all languages except for your local language.

(4) On the "Radio EPG Grabber" panel:
    • Do NOT select "Store data only for selected channels".
    • Deselect all channels; leave none selected.
    • Deselect all languages except for your local language.

Testing
    On the "Manual Control" panel, expand the list of tuners so that all are visible, and then click the "Refresh DVB EPG" button. Within about 15 seconds you should see one of the tuners change from "idle" to "grabbing EPG". Continue to watch it until it returns to "idle", and measure the time elapsed from start of grabbing to end of grabbing. In the UK this interval would be around 10 minutes. The time that you specify for the idle-grabber "Timeout" needs to be several minutes longer than the grabbing duration observed, as the size of the EPG varies from day to day.

Now start the MP client and display the EPG. Scroll around to look at the EPG for all channels for the current time. All channels should have EPG data. If any do not, count the ones that do have data and the ones that do not, and report back here.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Deselect all channels except for the channel selected in (1).
    That will be good for testing but for a complete EPG you will most likely have to select one channel per provider, not sure how that looks for cable but for DVBT2 for example see the screenshots below.
    prov.jpgprov2.jpg

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    That will be good for testing but for a complete EPG you will most likely have to select one channel per provider,
    Thank you for adding this info. (y)

My experience is with the UK DVB EPG, where each MUX transmits the EPG for its own channels, plus the EPG for all of the channels in all of the other MUXes. So only one channel needs to be selected for grabbing.

I expect (but don't know for certain) that there are countries in the world where each MUX is owned by a different provider, and as a result each MUX transmits only the EPG for its own channels. Hence one channel from each MUX needs to be selected in order to obtain a complete EPG.

I suggested in my previous post grabbing from only one channel, and then reviewing the EPG in the MP client to see if all channels had EPG info (i.e. like the UK), or whether only a subset had EPG info. If the latter is the case, it would be necessary to determine the EPG provision in more detail. This might mean grabbing from one channel in each MUX, or possibly grabbing from one channel from each provider. (If each provider owned more than one MUX, you would not need to grab from one channel in each MUX, merely from one channel from each provider.)

What is definitely a bad idea is grabbing from every channel in every MUX. :eek:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Are you sure that problem is in EPG instead of powerscheduler settings ?
    The grabbing settings definitely look to be far from optimal. Once they are corrected, the settings for "PowerScheduler" can be reviewed if the system is still not sleeping when not in use.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    I expect (but don't know for certain) that there are countries in the world where each MUX is owned by a different provider, and as a result each MUX transmits only the EPG for its own channels. Hence one channel from each MUX needs to be selected in order to obtain a complete EPG.
    Full Agree with that ;)(y)

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    The grabbing settings definitely look to be far from optimal. Once they are corrected, the settings for "PowerScheduler" can be reviewed if the system is still not sleeping when not in use.

Grab is not so Bad. ;)
    But sometimes, powerscheduler IS better than win 10, regarding sleep mode !! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom