Unable to get STB working. (1 Viewer)

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
September 14, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
OK. Fixed Channel 8. I go to "TV Channels", select "Test 5", and then press PREVIEW. By default, I have channel 121 set on the STB so that I can tell when it changes to 5 or 8. I never does. It stays on 121. The LED on the USB-UIRT never flashes.[DOUBLEPOST=1443288575][/DOUBLEPOST]There is the option of "Test Channels" and I do not understand how that works.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay. I think the problem may be your blaster port configuration.

Go into the TV3 Blaster plugin.
    Click "STB Setup".
    Take a screenshot of the tab for the tuner that you're using.
    Close the "External Channel Changing" window.
    Go to the IR Commands tab.
    Take a screenshot.
    Attach the 2 screenshots here.

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    upload_2015-9-26_13-32-58.png
    upload_2015-9-26_13-33-16.png

I did put "0" in Port 1 and tried it again. no help. There is a Port 2. I could try that.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There is the option of "Test Channels" and I do not understand how that works.
    Yes, I can see you've been using that already. Please don't. "Test Channels" won't help you. The problem is the blaster configuration. You can test the blaster in isolation using the "test" function in TV3 Blaster plugin -> STB Setup -> tuner tab -> test section (bottom right corner). If you've learned the remote control commands properly and configured the command port (port 1, port 2 or both) correctly then that test function should work.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you for the screenshots.
    It seems odd to me that all the commands are configured with port "default". I've never seen that before. As mentioned in my previous post, I expected that to be either port 1, port 2, or both. Please check that.

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Yes. That works. I see four pulse: I assume it is "0", "0", "8" "ENTER" .[DOUBLEPOST=1443289564][/DOUBLEPOST]I just did. I put all the commands in Port 1 and that did not fix it. I have "Port 2" and "Port 3" and available options. What you like me to try those and see if one of these works?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm confused. First you said "that works"... then you said "that did not fix it". :confused:
    You can try whatever you like.

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    What I meant was that the pulses work as if it is sending the proper blast codes. In the PREVIEW screen where I can see the video and audio from the tuner card, it will only show the default channel of 121. If I preview Channel 8, it will not show Channel 8; it shows Channel 121.

Using Command "0" as an example, I can set the port in two different locations: here and in the Learn IR Command section.
    upload_2015-9-26_13-47-46.png
    Do you think setting the port in one location is better than another?[DOUBLEPOST=1443290008][/DOUBLEPOST]Ports 1,2,3 all work I the TEST function you mentioned above.[DOUBLEPOST=1443291417][/DOUBLEPOST]Ready for a suggestion.... I put the STB programming in DEFAULT, PORT 1, PORT 2, PORT 3. None of them worked to change the channel. I went into the actual MP program and I see the three test channels I created, but the changing of the channel is not working. The USB-UIRT unit does not pulse and light.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What I meant was that the pulses work as if it is sending the proper blast codes.
    The STB should respond if the blaster is sending the proper codes. Does the STB respond? If not then it seems likely you have not learnt the blast codes properly.

In the PREVIEW screen where I can see the video and audio from the tuner card, it will only show the default channel of 121. If I preview Channel 8, it will not show Channel 8; it shows Channel 121.
    Again, when you preview a channel, the TV3 Blaster plugin should automatically blast the corresponding channel number to the STB. Does the blaster "pulse" when you use preview?

Using Command "0" as an example, I can set the port in two different locations: here and in the Learn IR Command section.
    First, please understand that the "port" is the receiver/blaster selection. My understanding is that your USB-UIRT has one receiver and two blasters; hence the three ports.

Presumably you only have one blaster attached to the STB. Therefore only one of the port values is expected to work correctly. The other values might pulse... but that doesn't mean that the STB is receiving the commands.

While testing, you should be monitoring the USB-UIRT for pulsing and the front panel on the STB (or equivalent) to confirm the STB is receiving the commands.

Now, getting back to what you were saying...
    "Here" (in External Channel Changing) is the critical place that the port must be set correctly... for each command (0, 1, 2, etc.).

The port setting when you learn is just for testing.
    As I said earlier, the learn process is meant to be:
    1. Hold remote very close to USB UIRT receiver.
    2. Click "learn".
    3. Press (and hold???) the remote button until learning is complete.
    4. Chose the port to test the command with.
    5. Click "test". This will send the command to the selected port so that you can see whether the command was learned correctly.
    If you didn't test the commands when you learnt them then you can't know that the commands have been learnt correctly.

Do you think setting the port in one location is better than another?
    They have different purposes, as described above. One (learn) is only for testing during learning; the other is the configured value that will be used by MediaPortal, preview etc.

Ports 1,2,3 all work I the TEST function you mentioned above.
    Let's be clear! When you say "work", you mean "pulse", right? ...but the STB isn't actually receiving/acknowledging the commands, so I would have said they're not actually working.

I can't tell you which port to use. You will have to figure that out by trial and error. This is what the "test" functions are for.

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    I need help. The IRSS plug-in completely stopped working. I had to uninstall and re-install it twice. I will be working on this again tomorrow. Hopefully you will be available. I cannot get the blaster to send the signal necessary. Maybe you might be open to a remote access session?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom