MP2 - Spring'16 Unable to install due to DirectX problem (1 Viewer)

GlamRockCowboy

Portal Pro
October 25, 2015
Fairview, TN (ca. 20 mi. SSW of Nashville)
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
After my old hard drive failed, I bought a new 2TB HD and re-installed everything from the ground up. When I downloaded and TRIED to install the Spring '16 version of MP 2, however, the system repeatedly balked at having to install DirectX 9 (I'm running Windows 10 Home.). I've attached the log file in zip format. HELP!!

Attachments

• MP2-Setup.zip
    2.3 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

In some cases the automated DX9 install fails, especially if you try to install on a remote system.

Please download the full DX9 package and install it manually. A quick Google sarch should give you the rspective Microsoft link. Watch out that you pick the correct version:

Full installer
    Version:9.29.1974
    File Name:directx_Jun2010_redist.exe
    Date Published: 4/18/2011
    File Size:95.6 MB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The log file to look for is DXError.log in your Windows folder and post the error message here.

There can be different reason for DX9 not installing. For exaxmple some Windows file could be corrupted. You can check this by opening an administrative comand window (CMD) where you enter sfc /scannow. This will verify the integrity of your system files and repair them if possible. Restart the PC and try again.

Google throws numerous hits with various solutions that describe the same problem. The error messages might tell us more.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Here is the problem:
    [06/05/16 23:53:09] module: dxupdate(Mar 30 2011), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 1272, function: CabCallback

Failed API: DeleteFile()
    Error: (32) - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    So it appears that DX9 is already installed but the installation may be corrupt.

Not sure what is behind this. Let me think about it - I'll get back to you.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Not sure why the process cannot delete the files and which other process is using it. Now rather than running advanced diagnosis on it, you might just start from scratch again:

Are you able to do a restore and return to your first attempt of installing MP2? If yes, please do so and then try the manual install of DirectX 9 first before launchiong the MP2 installer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom