Upgrade of 1.5 with 1.6 does not upgrade MySQL 5.1 to 5.6 (1 Viewer)

mrspock

Portal Pro
September 14, 2008
Madrid
Home Country
Spain Spain
I am still using MP 1.5, so I was also looking for a solution, and I found two :confused:.
  1. Manual update (for MP 1.6 pre). I think it also works in MP 1.6. But where I get MySQL 5.6? I found the MySQL download site, but I am not sure wich file has to be installed.
  2. Full installer (for MP 1.5). This is to be applied on MP 1.5 and then upgrade to MP 1.6.
Are both procedures equivalent and will make MP 1.6 working in the same way? If this is the case, I will use second one.

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Manual update (for MP 1.6 pre). I think it also works in MP 1.6.
    Yes, it works for 1.6 final.

But where I get MySQL 5.6? I found the MySQL download site, but I am not sure wich file has to be installed.
    It is not hard:
    http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/

Scroll to the bottom of the page.
    Select platform "Microsoft Windows".
    Click the link for x86/32 bit if you're using a 32 bit version of Windows. Otherwise click the x86/64 bit link.

Full installer (for MP 1.5). This is to be applied on MP 1.5 and then upgrade to MP 1.6.
    Are both procedures equivalent and will make MP 1.6 working in the same way? If this is the case, I will use second one.
    I can't tell you if the full installer is equivalent. I would recommend the first option. It is not as hard as you seem to think it is.

mrspock

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2008
    Madrid
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    It is not hard:
    http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/
    Scroll to the bottom of the page.
    Select platform "Microsoft Windows".
    Click the link for x86/32 bit if you're using a 32 bit version of Windows. Otherwise click the x86/64 bit link.

Done... but when installing, I have to choose a setup type, and I am not sure wich one is the best (I don't want to install extra content, to save HD space). Types available are:
    • Developer default
    • Server only
    • Client only
    • Full
    • Custom
    And then, what options I have to select?

Thanks.

Last edited:

mrspock

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2008
    Madrid
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I got it updated, but it was harder than expected. These are the steps I followed (based on manual installation from Manual update):
    1. Upgrade to MP 1.6.
    2. Use the import/export section of TV Server configuration to export all your channels, etc.
    3. Stop the TV service and ensure TV Server configuration is closed. [I also stopped MySQL service]
    4. Uninstall MySQL. [from Windows control panel]
    5. Install MySQL 5.6. Make sure to remember the root username and password that you use for step 9.
      1. Download from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/, Platform Windows, MySQL installer MSI (it is for both 32-64 bits windows)
      2. Run installer
      3. Select type Server only
      4. Keep the following options by default
      5. When asked for the root password, type MediaPortal (case is important)
      6. Restart computer
    6. Right click the TV Server configuration shortcut on your desktop and select "properties".
    7. Change the "target" from ...\SetupTv.exe" to ...SetupTv.exe" /configure-db ... (note that the quotation marks are important).
    8. Double click on the shortcut. You should now see the database connection popup that you would have seen when you first installed. All the fields should be set with your current database connection parameters.
    9. Configure username and password for the new MySQL 5.6 database. Using the root user is easiest. You can use a different user account if you want, but that requires extra configuration in MySQL which is beyond the scope of this post. [Nothing to change, if used MediaPortal password on root]
    10. Click "test" and then "save".
      1. If test fails (mine failed because it was unable to connect to my PC), download MySQL Workbench MSI installer from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/tools/workbench/
      2. Run installer (default options)
      3. Run MySQL Workbench
      4. Double click the grey box "Local Instance MySQL5.6, root..." at the top left corner
      5. Type the MediaPortal password when asked (check to remember it)
      6. Click on Users and privileges (on the left)
      7. Select user root from host ::1
      8. Change ::1 into % in the Limit connections box
      9. Click the apply button at the bottom
      10. Go back to TV server configuration and click "test" again. It worked for me. Click "save"
      11. Restart computer
    11. Right click the TV Server configuration shortcut on your desktop and select "properties".
    12. Remove the configure-db section that you added.
    13. Open TV Server configuration. [confirm to run TV service if asked]
    14. Go to the import/export section.
    15. Import the file exported in step 2.
    But I noticed some configurations missing at TV Server configuration, so I had to manually modify (it would be nice to copy that before updating anything):
    • TV servers deactivated and priorities
    • Recording, start and stop times
    • Recording, folders
    • Timeshift, folders
    • Timeshift, min, max, size
    • PowerScheduler, processes
    Hope this could be useful to somebody. (y)

Last edited:

Iwen

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm curious. Are your database tables now in InnoDB format? I would bet they are still all MyISAM.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm curious. Are your database tables now in InnoDB format? I would bet they are still all MyISAM.
    Yep, I would also bet they will be in MyISAM format because he didn't update to MP 1.6 first as instructed. Also, the "server only" option is possibly not the best choice for MySQL on an HTPC. From memory I think "server-only" means that MySQL will behave as if it is the primary application. That means it will consume all the memory, optimise for lots of connections etc. etc. etc.

mrspock

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2008
    Madrid
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Following the steps at http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._Tool)/Update_to_MySQL_5.6#Useful_information, I do have InnoDB.

Also, the "server only" option is possibly not the best choice for MySQL on an HTPC. From memory I think "server-only" means that MySQL will behave as if it is the primary application. That means it will consume all the memory, optimise for lots of connections etc. etc. etc.

Unfortunately, I could not find any information for the choice. First, I tried type 'Developer default', but I noticed that this installed: MySQL Server, Workbench, Visual Studio Plugin, Connectors, examples, tutorials and documentation. So in the second try, I decided to try just the 'Server' (it says that it should be used where you want a MySQL server but will not be developing applications); in addition, (I think) only MySQL server 5.1 was previously installed in MP 1.5.

With regards to memory and so, after installation it asks for config type:
    • Development machine (default option, and the one used by me): A minimal amount of memory will be used by MySQL
    • Server machine: medium memory usage
    • Dedicated machine: MySQL will make use of all available memory.
    I do not know nothing about different options of MySQL, and maybe, the developers of MP 1.6 installation could explain which is the best option to be installed and configured.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Following the steps at http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._Tool)/Update_to_MySQL_5.6#Useful_information, I do have InnoDB.
    Default will be set as InnoDB for MySQL 5.6. AFAIK the same was true for MySQL 5.1. However, that doesn't mean that the tables themselves will be in InnoDB format. Before MP 1.6, we explicitly set the table format to MyISAM.

CREATE TABLE "Card" (
    "idCard" int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
    "devicePath" varchar(2000) NOT NULL,
    "name" varchar(200) NOT NULL,
    "priority" int(11) NOT NULL,
    "grabEPG" bit(1) NOT NULL,
    "lastEpgGrab" datetime NOT NULL,
    "recordingFolder" varchar(256) NOT NULL,
    "idServer" int(11) NOT NULL,
    "enabled" bit(1) NOT NULL,
    "camType" int(11) NOT NULL,
    "timeshiftingFolder" varchar(256) NOT NULL,
    "recordingFormat" int(11) NOT NULL,
    "decryptLimit" int(11) NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY ("idCard"),
    KEY "FK_Card_Server" ("idServer")
    ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC;

MP 1.6+:
    CREATE TABLE "Card" (
    "idCard" int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
    "devicePath" varchar(2000) NOT NULL,
    "name" varchar(200) NOT NULL,
    "priority" int(11) NOT NULL,
    "grabEPG" bit(1) NOT NULL,
    "lastEpgGrab" datetime NOT NULL,
    "recordingFolder" varchar(255) NOT NULL,
    "idServer" int(11) NOT NULL,
    "enabled" bit(1) NOT NULL,
    "camType" int(11) NOT NULL,
    "timeshiftingFolder" varchar(255) NOT NULL,
    "recordingFormat" int(11) NOT NULL,
    "decryptLimit" int(11) NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY ("idCard"),
    KEY "FK_Card_Server" ("idServer")
    ) ENGINE=INNODB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC;

So, I still think your tables will be MyISAM.

Unfortunately, I could not find any information for the choice. First, I tried type 'Developer default', but I noticed that this installed: MySQL Server, Workbench, Visual Studio Plugin, Connectors, examples, tutorials and documentation. So in the second try, I decided to try just the 'Server' (it says that it should be used where you want a MySQL server but will not be developing applications)...
    Okay. I was thinking of the config type you mentioned below. In any case: I suggest you read the MySQL documentation if you want to customise.
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/windows-installation.html
    Specifically:
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/mysql-installer-gui.html

The screenshots shows that there should be information about the choice on the right hand side (!!!). ;)

With regards to memory and so, after installation it asks for config type:
    • Development machine (default option, and the one used by me): A minimal amount of memory will be used by MySQL
    • Server machine: medium memory usage
    • Dedicated machine: MySQL will make use of all available memory.
    I do not know nothing about different options of MySQL, and maybe, the developers of MP 1.6 installation could explain which is the best option to be installed and configured.
    It is completely personal choice. There is no "best for MP"; it is "best for you". Therefore, again I recommend that if you want to customise, you should read the MySQL documentation.
    The ideal MySQL Server configuration depends on your intended use, as explained in the next window. Choose the description that most closely applies to your machine.

All of this can probably be changed after install by editing the MySQL configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread