Video with subtitles is corrupted with 1.4.0 pre in XP (1 Viewer)

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Update: tests with different decoders, sub engines and videos done. I managed to get subtitles without picture loss with ffdshow sub engine. But it was hard to enable subs with ffdshow. Most of time subtitle menu wasnot present in context menu. So I think it is mp-hc sub engine compatibility bug. @Sebastiii
    Idea: Can I get mpsubs.dll from 1.3.0?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Edalex thanks for investigating and reporting back. (y)

Just a comment regarding the XP support thing...
    Even with MP 1.3 there were certain features which were not tested on or not entirely working on XP. That includes bluray and the MP audio renderer, but also "smaller issues" like this:https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-works-in-window-mode-v-s-full-screen.118914/

In case you didn't already know: the first 1.4 PR build would not even start on XP!

I say this to give you a little wider perspective on the state of XP support. It really would be best to upgrade your OS if possible. XP "support" in MP 1.4 is just a bandage to give people such as yourself more time to upgrade your OS.

PS: keep in mind that I"m also running XP, so I'm possibly in a similar position to you...

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Yeah, I know all of this. Also custom dshowhelper by owlsroot in win7+
    My biggest mistake is that I didn't test scythe win7 only rework when he started it because of business with my little development for mp.
    I also understand that devs and testers are progressive IT guys which are using always using latest technologies including software and OSes and they cant stick to XP. But they maybe forgot that they are probably coding product for ordinary people why could be not on the edge of tchnology progress. I checked and XP is still the second popular OS with big share so I think not only me and you are using XP here. Maybe forum admins could look at users specs and count how many XP users among us?
    Also during my IRC/jabber discussions with members of mp team/friends we checked what soft is win7+ now and the only one big name was photoshop. xbmc, powerdvd and other mediasoft is still XP+. So thas't also why I think it is not the time. Microsoft dropping XP support because they making money on selling win7/win8. You don't. I like XP, I know XP. I like its performance. I know where to find needed stuff in it. It is stable. If mp has bug it will crash to desktop in win7 and it wil stay working in Xp. In win7 I have problems with setting up my internet connections etc. So the only reason for is to upgrade is MP. I like very very much but I'm not ready for OS change. So mp downgrade is more realistic otion for me.
    I hope you can understand my point of view.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Update: tests with different decoders, sub engines and videos done. I managed to get subtitles without picture loss with ffdshow sub engine. But it was hard to enable subs with ffdshow. Most of time subtitle menu wasnot present in context menu. So I think it is mp-hc sub engine compatibility bug. @Sebastiii
    Idea: Can I get mpsubs.dll from 1.3.0?

Yes you can use the one from 1.3.0 and see what happen :)
    Did you try with MPC-HC too (just to confirm it happen or not) because source is quite equal for both.

About XP, there is a long internal discussion etc. and in fact there is so many workaround to fix XP issue about D3D, that why if we want to go to better D3D engine etc. it needed to go to newest OS :)

I/We understand your POV :) and now microsoft will stop support for XP when we look pros/con -> we need to move on :)

Last edited:

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I checked and XP is still the second popular OS with big share so I think not only me and you are using XP here. Maybe forum admins could look at users specs and count how many XP users among us?

We have done this, and it is about 5% if memory serves. This is why we made the decision. Basically, we are holding back MP for 95% of users so we can keep support for the 5%.

The bottom line is that if 1.3 is working well for you, you have no need to update. If you feel a burning urge to always have the latest and greatest version of MP, why don't you feel the same about your OS ? ;)

If mp has bug it will crash to desktop in win7 and it wil stay working in Xp.

Crashes to desktop are very rare. I can't remember the last one outside of testing. The fact that in XP you don't get a crash doesn't mean it will carry on working fine.

In win7 I have problems with setting up my internet connections etc. So the only reason for is to upgrade is MP. I like very very much but I'm not ready for OS change. So mp downgrade is more realistic otion for me.
    I hope you can understand my point of view.

Totally. So, do you see the problem with video with subtitles in 1.3 ?

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Yes you can use the one from 1.3.0 and see what happen
    Thanks. With 1.3.0 dll screen is going black (but no colour squares) on first subtitle appearance. So probably it is about mp code changes. What dlls was involved in dx rework? Maaybe we can update assemblies from them from 1.3.0 and test with 1.4.0?
    Did you try with MPC-HC too (just to confirm it happen or not) because source is quite equal for both.
    I think I can't. I'm using vmr7 windowed in mp-hc :unsure::unsure: since it giving me better results in term of shuttering. And as you know it is not subtitle compliant. Also I'm using our "national" build mpc-be now. Not sure that they are using same code now.
    BTW, new hint: all three of us with same problems also using ati with xp. mm is probably nvidia guy so that's why all could work good for him.
    The bottom line is that if 1.3 is working well for you, you have no need to update. If you feel a burning urge to always have the latest and greatest version of MP, why don't you feel the same about your OS ?
    There was three reasons:
    - Each time I've upgraded mp it is getting better and better and I think it could be the same result.
    - You've advertised new awesome screen changing logic and fully upgraded dx past so I decided to try.
    - I did some plugin development and users asked for proper 1.4.0 support and I've upgraded also for this.
    Crashes to desktop are very rare. I can't remember the last one outside of testing. The fact that in XP you don't get a crash doesn't mean it will carry on working fine.
    It is again about plugin development. I can easily make mp crash to desktop with bad code :D
    So, do you see the problem with video with subtitles in 1.3 ?
    MP 1.3.0 worked good with subs.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What dlls was involved in dx rework? Maaybe we can update assemblies from them from 1.3.0 and test with 1.4.0?
    That probably isn't possible due to interface changes.

mm is probably nvidia guy so that's why all could work good for him.
    No. ATI/AMD.
    I'm not saying it works for me. I have no way to test. Can you provide a sample file (though I'm pretty sure I know the result will be the same)?

- Each time I've upgraded mp it is getting better and better and I think it could be the same result.
    :)

- You've advertised new awesome screen changing logic and fully upgraded dx past so I decided to try.
    Interestingly this change is probably part of the reason for the problems.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hey :)

Good news after long long long hours, i nailed down the culprit, it works now on my XP Laptop :
    Try attached bin:)

Last edited:

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Seb, I have no hex editor. Could you set its version to 1.4.0?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom