Vista MCE Remote Control VRC-1100 (2 Viewers)

mrceolla

Portal Pro
December 11, 2010
(1) Are you trying to use a mouse on other parts of the desktop when MP is windowed?
(2) Are you trying to use a mouse within MP itself?
(3) Is EventGhost still active (it may interfere with AutoHotKey)?
(4) What action are you expecting the INFO button to perform?

1) No, I was just using the remote in full screen mode.
2) No, my goal is remote only.
3) No, it has been uninstalled.
4) I was pressing the info button while in the TV guide expecting a menu to display where I could choose to record the show. This did not happen. Also, when in Recorded TV and with a recorded show selected, I pressed the info button expecting to get a menu where I could delete the recording. This did not happen.

I had to edit part of the AHK script to use the "Program Files (x86)" path for both 32bit and 64bit because the script was choosing the wrong one. I'm on Windows 10 64bit (Minix NGC-1). I wonder if other parts of your AHK script aren't working properly on this OS. Have you used this on Windows 10 yet?

Stephane, which Inteset remote are you using?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Not use their remote actually just their receiver. Though I'm told their remote is good too. Look at my config specs it mentions the exact model in there. It's an internal one though.

To get to my config specs you need to over my name/avatar on the left. From there click the link to the specs.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    1) No, I was just using the remote in full screen mode.
    2) No, my goal is remote only.
    3) No, it has been uninstalled.
    OK, that is fine.

I was pressing the info button while in the TV guide expecting a menu to display where I could choose to record the show.
    This is caused by a change that I made to the XML file (which you can alter using the "Mappings" panel in "MP Config"). The original definition of INFO cycled through three values:

nothing > OSD > Context menu > nothing

I don't like that, and prefer my buttons to be simple on/off toggles. Since the LEFT_MOUSE button does not serve any purpose within MP, I changed the definition so that LEFT_MOUSE displays the Context menu, and RIGHT_MOUSE and INFO display the OSD. So, if you are in the EPG, press the LEFT_MOUSE button to get the Context menu.

when in Recorded TV and with a recorded show selected, I pressed the info button expecting to get a menu where I could delete the recording.
    This is the same deal -- press the LEFT_MOUSE button to get the Context menu. However, I made a further change to the XML file. The RECORD button is defined to display the "Delete" dialogue on all panels that have a delete dialogue. So to delete a recording, either press RECORD, or press LEFT_MOUSE followed by DOWN and then OK. The former requires fewer button presses than the latter.

These changes reflect my preferences, but they are implemented in the XML file which you can change using the "Mappings" panel on the "Sceneo" tab of "Remotes and Input Devices" in "MP Config".

I had to edit part of the AHK script to use the "Program Files (x86)" path for both 32bit and 64bit because the script was choosing the wrong one.
    Yes, this is expected, as the AutoHotKey script does not dynamically select the path to "MediaPortal.exe".

I'm on Windows 10 64bit (Minix NGC-1). I wonder if other parts of your AHK script aren't working properly on this OS. Have you used this on Windows 10 yet?
    I use 32-bit Vista, and have not tested the script on Windows 7, 8, or 10 (although there are probably some other MP users who are using it on 7/8/10). As far as I know, the path to "MediaPortal.exe" is the only dependency on 32-bit versus 64-bit. I am not aware of any other dependencies on the OS.

Not use their remote actually just their receiver. Though I'm told their remote is good too. Look at my config specs it mentions the exact model in there. It's an internal one though.
    Inteset also sell an external USB IR recevier that @mrceolla might like to consider; this one:

http://shop.inteset.com/usb-external-infrared-ir-receiver-only-with-cable

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mrceolla

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2010
    Thank you both. You have both mentioned alternate IR receivers. Am I incorrect in stating that I would also need a different remote along with this receiver? Or would one of these new receivers make this remote suddenly work perfectly?

CyberSimian, can you please give me a little further direction if I wish to change the mappings myself. I have tried to change the mappings for the Info button previously but could not get desired results. You mentioned that default behavior cycles through a few things. Does that need to be programmed specially within the mappings? The logic for your decisions makes sense but I have another machine running MP with the exact same remote and would like to keep remote functionality identical between the two, if possible. EventGhost on Win7 is somehow able to produce the desired behavior with the info button.

Regarding AHK and the path to MP, I understand now. I thought that was some sort of logic block but upon closer review I see that one of the lines is simply commented out.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Am I incorrect in stating that I would also need a different remote along with this receiver? Or would one of these new receivers make this remote suddenly work perfectly?
    The Ortek/Hama remote control works only with the Ortek/Hama IR receiver.

However, when Microsoft created their WMC RC6 remote control and IR receiver, they established a de facto standard that many other remote controls and IR receivers are consistent with. So with WMC RC6, you can use a remote from one manufacturer with an IR receiver from a different manufacturer. The Ortek/Hama is not WMC RC6.

I have tried to change the mappings for the Info button previously but could not get desired results.
    I have just tried this myself, and like you I have found that it has no effect. The entries for the INFO button in "Centarea HID.xml" are identical (apart from button value) with those in "Microsoft MCE.xml", and the latter's INFO button does cycle as expected. :confused: I don't know why this does not work, but I suspect that it has never worked. :eek:

I cannot provide a solution that uses the XML file, but I have been able to modify the AHK file to obtain the desired result. The one disadvantage is that if you want to make other changes, changing the AHK file may prove more of a challenge (if you are not familiar with AutoHotKey) than using "MP Config" to change the XML file.

To avoid having multiple versions, I have included logic so that both behaviours of the INFO button are supported. You need to set the variable "info_button" to the value "TOGGLE" or "CYCLE" (see the INITIALISATION section in the script).

I have also modified the script to query the processor architecture and set the correct path for MediaPortal.exe, dependent on 32-bit or 64-bit (so you don't have to set this manually). Thank you for drawing this deficiency to my attention. :)

The revised files are included below. As before, this is a recommended update for all users of this support package.

Edit (2016-10-25): I have replaced the ZIP file, as the first one had an unintended change to the XML file. Apologies to the one person who had already downloaded it!

Edit (2016-12-09): A new release is now available; see this post:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...te-control-vrc-1100.94301/page-8#post-1203600

Attachments

• Centarea HID 2016-10-25.zip
      13.4 KB
    Last edited:

mrceolla

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2010
    CyberSimian, that is fantastic. I changed to cycle mode and the info buttons works as I would like. So far everything seems great.

Question... With EventGhost, I could program the green Start button to display an EventGhost generated on-screen menu to choose my action. For example, I could choose to go Home or launch another program. Do you know if AutoHotKey supports that sort of thing? If so I'll dig into it further myself. I have a programming background so I should be able to figure it out eventually.

Thanks a ton!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    With EventGhost, I could program the green Start button to display an EventGhost generated on-screen menu to choose my action. For example, I could choose to go Home or launch another program. Do you know if AutoHotKey supports that sort of thing?
    I am a beginner at programming with AutoHotKey; I learnt it specifically to see if I could solve the quirks of the Ortek/Hama. The "Centarea HID.ahk" is my first project using AutoHotKey.

AutoHotKey is a weird programming tool, and seems to have a mixture of syntax. For example, sometimes string constants need to be enclosed in quotes (as most programming languages require), but at other times the quotes should not be used. :confused:

Anyway, the following example displays the Windows file-selection dialogue from which you can select a file. It lists all of the EXE files in "C:\Windows", and then displays what is chosen. If you had 3-4 applications that you wanted to run, you would probably put their startup BAT files in a folder of their own (so the list shows only those files), and then use the AutoHotKey "Run" command to start the application selected. You could incorporate that into the processing of the START button in "Centarea HID.ahk", with one selection being "MP Home", and the remainder being applications to start. You can run the example below to see what it does.

Code:
    ; pickfile.ahk
    FileSelectFile, app, 0, C:\windows, Select the program to start, Applications (*.bat; *.exe)
    If app =
    {
      MsgBox, Selection cancelled.
      Return
    }
    Else
    {
      MsgBox, The following application was selected:`n%app%
      Return
    }

There is a detailed help file for AutoHotKey, although it is more of a reference than a tutorial. Refer to the "GUI" section for information about the facilities available for displaying and processing windows.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    I finally got round to trying out the latest mappings and AutoHotKey script (though I have been using the older .xml for some time). Mostly looks very good, particularly the Green Button though I have edited the .ahk to retain the Browser start function which I prefer. One problem I do have though is the Info button, as std in the .ahk script "toggle" brings up the OSD ut does not toggle it off (I'm sure I read something about timeout settings but can't find it anymore:rolleyes:) and if I select the "Cycle" option the context menu is displayed and toggles on and off but I don't get the OSD. It is probably me doing something wrong in AutoHotKey but would much appreciate it if you could help me get it working.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I have edited the .ahk to retain the Browser start function which I prefer.
    That's fine. Actually, I have been making some further changes, and have come round to the view that the distributed "Centarea HID" should conform more closely to the capabilities of the remote and accepted MP conventions. So I think that I will revert the BROWSER button to its intended meaning. (y)

One problem I do have though is the Info button, as std in the .ahk script "toggle" brings up the OSD but does not toggle it off (I'm sure I read something about timeout settings but can't find it anymore:rolleyes:)
    In "MP Config", you can specify the timeout for the OSD. A value of zero causes the timeout to be infinite. If the timeout is infinite, the INFO button can toggle the OSD on and off. However, if the timeout is not infinite, the INFO button cannot toggle the OSD off -- you have to wait for the timeout to expire. This is the behaviour of MP, and as far as I know this behaviour cannot be changed by the XML or AHK files. The Wiki page is here:

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...al_Configuration/13_GUI/6_On-Screen_Display_*

There is not a clear choice between a finite timeout and an infinite timeout -- there are advantages and disadvantages associated with each. So select whichever is the "least worst" for your use of MP.

if I select the "Cycle" option the context menu is displayed and toggles on and off but I don't get the OSD.
    Only a few panels have an OSD. The ones that come to mind are live TV and video playback, although there may be others. On most panels, INFO acts as a toggle for the Context menu.

I will be posting a new version of the "Centarea HID" support package in the next few days, and this new version will allow you to customise the definition of the INFO button in the XML file, using the usual "Mapping" panel in "MP Config" (I have discovered why this was not working :D).

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK thanks for the fast response. I am using TV for testing and after setting theOSD timeout to zero and the info button to Toggle mode, the OSD is displayed and stays on screen but further presses on info do not toggle it. I had to use back to clear it. In Cycle mode the Context menu is displayed but further info button presses just cause it to toggle, the OSD never appears. I also noticed that in Cycle mode the context menu does not display till the 2nd press on the info button so it looks like something is going on but not working right for me.

I will look forward to trying the new version, because for me it certainly seems something is not right with the info button, but please let me know if there is anything I can try for a fix in the current version.

Please note I am using the Madvr branch of MP1for testing so that might be causing some issues.

UPDATE:-

I can confirm that the info button is working OK on the release version of MP 1.15 on my Desktop PC. It looks like it may be an issue with the Madvr version (there is wip on various OSD issues) or something else specific to my HTPC. I'll do some more testing on it but if I don't find anything will wait and try your new version.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom