[ATI] WARNING: pixelation/corruption on h264 channels. (3 Viewers)

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: WARNING: pixelation/corruption on h264 channels.

But the PQ is still not as good As ati's VA as far as i read.

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

This is a really difficult situation.
    Yesterday I received a GT240 passive and it is a really nice card.
    Good thing is that I have no more flickering of the GUI and MS H.264 codec can be used with German FTA HD channels.
    However PQ esp. on SD is not as good as ATI from what I can say.
    Also yesterday I had a similar problem as with my ATI card. After about one hour of watching ARD HD all of a sudden I had the same pixealtion as with the ATI card and it did not stop by itself. I had to switch channel to get rid of it.

All really anoying.

Cheers.

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    or simply disabe gpu hardware accel. (dxva) on the specific code you use. You can even do so on the win7 codec.

ofcourse this is the poor man's solution.

The very best would be to buy a nvidia card and then be become a "missionary man" - spreading the news to potential buyers and save them the headache of buying a product not living up to its expectations.

In the meantime - anyone knows where I can buy an ATI flag ?
    I want to pour some gasonline on it.. :)

/gibman

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Re: AW: WARNING: pixelation/corruption on h264 channels.

my old timers went from ATI 2400 to a gt220 solution, because of this issue.
    and I remember seeing the PQ becoming worse also.

It was fixed by tampering with the plasma screen's brightness and contrast.
    I had to adjust these down a bit.

If the picture has too much contrast/brightness, then you will se pixelation and crappy PQ in general.

try it out.

/gibman

This is a really difficult situation.
    Yesterday I received a GT240 passive and it is a really nice card.
    Good thing is that I have no more flickering of the GUI and MS H.264 codec can be used with German FTA HD channels.
    However PQ esp. on SD is not as good as ATI from what I can say.
    Also yesterday I had a similar problem as with my ATI card. After about one hour of watching ARD HD all of a sudden I had the same pixealtion as with the ATI card and it did not stop by itself. I had to switch channel to get rid of it.

All really anoying.

Cheers.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Getting off topic a bit, but if contrast / brightness is wrong then it sounds like wrong color space settings are in use (GPU's output color space wont match to TV's input) or a bug in driver revision about the color space conversion. In general all GPU brands should provide equal contrast / brightness levels.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

So we can decide:
    - take ATI with good PQ but DXVA HD Bug
    - take NVIDIA with lower PQ

*gr* not really good. What is about Intel Core iX? :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

- take NVIDIA with lower PQ

Is there some test that really shows up the lower PQ in general with Nvidia's GPUs? It is not enough that someone says in his personal experience such is happening since the are some factors that could affect the results:

• Buggy driver revisions
    • Incorrect driver settings that are used
    • HW incompatibility with GPU and TV (yes it could happen, even Nvidia's release note says that some Philips TVs are incompatible with their GPUs :))
    • Biased opinion

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: WARNING: pixelation/corruption on h264 channels.

Getting off topic a bit, but if contrast / brightness is wrong then it sounds like wrong color space settings are in use (GPU's output color space wont match to TV's input) or a bug in driver revision about the color space conversion. In general all GPU brands should provide equal contrast / brightness levels.

Forgive me for getting more off topic.

Sure my statement about PQ is a biased opinion.
    I made sure that both cards were operating at YcbCr444 which is the best for my Panasonic 50" plasma.
    As I said deblocking works better on the ATI card IMO.
    With NVIDIA denoising also seems to introduce more blur.
    On the other side denoise on ATI introduces some ghosting on some interlaced material which is not shown with the NVIDIA.
    All other PQ enhancement functions are switched off cause IMHO PQ is getting worth with them.
    So both cards have their drawbacks, but for me overall PQ is better with the ATI card.

I will give the new GT240 to my son.
    If you like NVIDIA I can really recommend this card (Sparkle GT240 passive low profile).

Cheers.

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008

Lately I don't had any problems with H264 anymore. Just use the latest Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 filters (combined MPEG 2/VC-1/H264), 720P and 1080i-channels runs fine without pixelation - and also no gui flicker; however the ORF 1 HD-sample shows the pixelation with Cyberlink, the MPC-HC decoder does not have this issue (just a decoder problem?).

The MPC-HC H264 decoder can't be used as TV decoder within Mediaportal, however the MPC Mediaplayer itself plays any recorded TS-files you'll throw at it (it uses the built in decoder).

As of today I really can say that any DVB HTPC software can't compete with a standalone receiver. If there is bad weather and the you'll get a bad signal for more than 20-30 seconds, the playback within Mediaportal hangs and will not continue even if the signal gets better. In those cases the TVService.exe might also crash and you'll have to restart the computer.

Speaking of NVIDIA: I don't get any HDMI sound out of an ION-based system, the system always tell me that the device is not "connected". This problem is known for more than one year and I never found a solution on the web until today (you always find many users like me that point to the problem but there is no solution yet) - and also the support can't help, they say it is an NVIDIA problem. On ATI based systems I really never had any problem with HDMI sound. ATI is still the best for HTPC I think. The pixelation problem seems to be the "last problem" that has to be resolved. Flickering is gone with latest Cyberlink filters and H264-playback with 5.1 level runs also fine now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom