WebMediaPortal Design (3 Viewers)

IchBinsShort

Portal Pro
January 3, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Re: [WebService] General Media Access Webservice

If you want a more detailed assessment of the needed changes i would like to do, read my post in the issue tracker.
https://github.com//MPExtended/issues/130

I like the Google Music Layout, I use it every Day. I think a similar Layout would be great. There are a lot of nice features on this Layout. The small triangle is very cool to open the Popup Menu (send to Playlist, Delete Song etc.) I think this Layout would be very nice for the Music Section.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
February 4, 2009
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
I simply don't agree with the direction you'd like to go.
Then please tell me about what _exactly_ you don't agree? I'm open to most changes as long as there respect most of my guidelines.

It's not as though this draft cannot be easily adapted to follow your concepts either. You're more than welcome to take aspects of it for your design. (I'm using a tremendous amount of css3, so it shouldn't be terribly hard to port over to your layout). Ask for my files, I'm not against giving them to you . (and many of them are contained in the www folder I posted earlier)
I don't think it's useful to work on different versions since i'm more concerned about consistency than specific designs.

Though I think some of these could be accomplished through filtering rather than a bulky navigation system.
Well i really like the advantages of the RESTful approach more than the eye candy js based menus offer.
First it's more cross-platform compatible(especially for tablets) and second i don't think drop-down menus are that intuitive.

I think you have a great concept going for the grand scheme of things, that said I think you should maybe start smaller. We don't need all of mediaportal's features ported over to a web interface right away, we can start with the basics and work our way up. That's just my opinion though.
My problem is i have an idea on how it should look like, but not the skills to realize it(and the technology isn't that good ;) )

Since there were some discussions in the background just let may say that i'm quite happy about your interest in working on WebMP and i like your schematics!

I only see a problem in the "top navigation only" layout since not only tv but also the other media types have specialized requirements for additional navigation.
It might be a personal opinion but i don't need specific LiveTV, Recordings,Schedules menu items at the main navigation, i would rather prefer more specific items for tv shows, other might want specific music items and i think to adress these specific whishes it's useful to add a sub navigation in addition to the top navigation.

Of course this can be done in small steps.

Do you have a specific reason why you don't like a sidebar for navigation?

I specifically like this layout http://imag.malavida.com/mvimgbig/download/google-music-frame-9553-1.jpg (and just in case i only mean the layout! not the coloring or "design) because it allows using the header for navigation between media types like tv shows, television, movies and music but also gives the possibility of RESTful navigation within these types for example to access interprets, or albums in the music view, or all specific television views like live tv, epg or recordings.

Aredon

Portal Member
June 26, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Why don't you make it all like on MP homepage as your style is very similar?

+1
Because mentlegen, that would be really boring :).

I simply don't agree with the direction you'd like to go.
Then please tell me about what _exactly_ you don't agree? I'm open to most changes as long as there respect most of my guidelines.
Well primarily side nav with fluid width. In my opinion fluid width designs are more difficult to work with. Additionally, I'd prefer this project be focused primarily on streaming TV over the internet as there is currently no other open source option for this. You seem to want to make this a full port of MediaPortal's features to a web-based environment, which is fine, I just disagree that its the direction to go right away as it involves a lot more up-front development.
It's not as though this draft cannot be easily adapted to follow your concepts either. You're more than welcome to take aspects of it for your design. (I'm using a tremendous amount of css3, so it shouldn't be terribly hard to port over to your layout). Ask for my files, I'm not against giving them to you . (and many of them are contained in the www folder I posted earlier)
I don't think it's useful to work on different versions since i'm more concerned about consistency than specific designs.
I believe you mean functionality rather than consistency, but point taken.

Though I think some of these could be accomplished through filtering rather than a bulky navigation system.
Well i really like the advantages of the RESTful approach more than the eye candy js based menus offer.
First it's more cross-platform compatible(especially for tablets) and second i don't think drop-down menus are that intuitive.
I could certainly see the use of a side navigation as a subnav, but I would question whether that is more intuitive for tablets as it would force a wider page width (or smaller content area), and thus create smaller text sizes. As far as drop-downs not being intuitive for tablets... it seems fine to me. :) (see attached) If anything the javascript seems to make them a lot easier to use on a tablet, which is something I had not previously considered.

My problem is i have an idea on how it should look like, but not the skills to realize it(and the technology isn't that good ;) )
I understand what you mean, but I must respectfully disagree. The software technology is most certainly there. (HTML5, JQuery, AJAX)

Since there were some discussions in the background just let may say that i'm quite happy about your interest in working on WebMP and i like your schematics!
Danke sir

I only see a problem in the "top navigation only" layout since not only tv but also the other media types have specialized requirements for additional navigation.
It might be a personal opinion but i don't need specific LiveTV, Recordings,Schedules menu items at the main navigation, i would rather prefer more specific items for tv shows, other might want specific music items and i think to adress these specific whishes it's useful to add a sub navigation in addition to the top navigation.
I suppose I don't see the need to make the navigation overly complex at this time. There are plenty of relatively simple ways to avoid having a two-navigation system (main and sub navs). Especially when this initial release won't have very much functionality yet. In summary, I would be of the opinion: "lets cross that bridge when we come to it" with regard to adding complexity to the navigation.

Do you have a specific reason why you don't like a sidebar for navigation?
Mostly just hate them. :) They annoy me to no end on my tablet. (I'm a landscape man)

I specifically like this layout http://imag.malavida.com/mvimgbig/download/google-music-frame-9553-1.jpg (and just in case i only mean the layout! not the coloring or "design) because it allows using the header for navigation between media types like tv shows, television, movies and music but also gives the possibility of RESTful navigation within these types for example to access interprets, or albums in the music view, or all specific television views like live tv, epg or recordings.
That seems like a nice interface for its purpose. I'm not partial to it myself because of the side nav (something that still annoys me about grooveshark). I'm also not a huge fan of all the blank space around the search box.

I also attached my graphic design friend's concept that I'll probably make a push toward if people like it. I'll certainly be using the logo at least. :)

Attachments

• browser_2012-05-01_200857.png
    browser_2012-05-01_200857.png
    101.5 KB
  • 34wrtuetuw54jn7mq2.png
    34wrtuetuw54jn7mq2.png
    461.2 KB

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
February 4, 2009
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Additionally, I'd prefer this project be focused primarily on streaming TV over the internet as there is currently no other open source option for this.
Well this is part of the project yes, but that's not what it is focused on. It should offer all media in a similar manner.
I have no problem with you focusing on tv, but i wouldn't like if the result is that other aspects of WebMP get out of sight.

I could certainly see the use of a side navigation as a subnav, but I would question whether that is more intuitive for tablets as it would force a wider page width (or smaller content area), and thus create smaller text sizes. As far as drop-downs not being intuitive for tablets... it seems fine to me.
May be it's just me, but on my Transformer i hate using drop downs because (although they might look nice) it's way faster to click a link then scroll trough a sidebar. Your screenshot looks good but the itemcount is very limited.

And i don't see the problem with the side bar because based on your screenshot there is enoug blank space on the left and right don't you agree?
Just look at the amazon category drop down, it's a really looooong list and that's neither nice nor intuitive, i think.
(But may be that's just on android tablets, nevertheless it's not nice ;) )

Especially when this initial release won't have very much functionality yet.
Well leaving out things like sorting is mainly caused by a lack of the current(my) design and not because it's not easily done.

I'm also not a huge fan of all the blank space around the search box.
Well as i said it's mainly about how navigation and content area could look like, we obviously had to change the header in order to support more than music ;)

I mean it also doesn't look nice if we have a main navigation full with items. I mention this because based on the latest screenshot there is music and pictures missing.

Aredon

Portal Member
June 26, 2011
Home Country
Well this is part of the project yes, but that's not what it is focused on. It should offer all media in a similar manner.
I have no problem with you focusing on tv, but i wouldn't like if the result is that other aspects of WebMP get out of sight.
Of course not :)

May be it's just me, but on my Transformer i hate using drop downs because (although they might look nice) it's way faster to click a link then scroll trough a sidebar. Your screenshot looks good but the itemcount is very limited.
I can tell you didn't visit that page at all :p. The item count for that particular drop-down is near 30, and ugly/unusable without the javascript. However, I don't think it's necessary to have large item counts for filtering anyway. The only dropdowns necessary are "Sort By" and/or "Group By" (artist, letter, etc). Followed by a text input filter to find specific ones that you're looking for in that group/sort.

And i don't see the problem with the side bar because based on your screenshot there is enoug blank space on the left and right don't you agree?
No, any apparent blank space on the left will be filled with channel icons (55px), channel names (~150+px), and the numbers. Any attempt at a left navigation would either force the content to be smaller, or force a fluid width. Neither of which are particularly desirable to me. Unless you are speaking about the background area, in which case this only exists on a wide screen monitor (because it's a fixed-width page @960px). I'll attach a screenshot of the mobile view, and you can visualize what would happen to the content. (this is the same width as my friend's photoshop concept that I posted earlier.)

Just look at the amazon category drop down, it's a really looooong list and that's neither nice nor intuitive, i think.
(But may be that's just on android tablets, nevertheless it's not nice )
As I mentioned earlier, large category drop downs aren't necessarily the direction we'd need to take. For instance:
- Group By: Season
- Sort By: Name (this possibly better achieved with a javascript sort button to switch between asc/desc)
- Text Filter: B

Prior to entering my text filter a page is shown with all my media grouped by series where possible. After my text filter I see only the ones starting with "B" from this selection.

This would effectively move nearly any functionality a left nav would have to offer, into the main content area. This in turn would allow for better design, more usability on mobile or small-screened devices, and just all around a cleaner user experience. However, that is my opinion, professional though it may be. :rolleyes:

Well leaving out things like sorting is mainly caused by a lack of the current(my) design and not because it's not easily done.
A JQuery sorting option should not be difficult to find or implement, I'll see about finding one. Trying to do it on the back-end would probably be unwise anyway. Most browsing function should be offset to the client here to avoid load on the server. We certainly don't want the web experience to be slow because the server is busy encoding. :)

I mean it also doesn't look nice if we have a main navigation full with items. I mention this because based on the latest screenshot there is music and pictures missing.
I was looking at that this morning, seems to me tv shows should be a filter within a "videos" menu item. Same for movies, and maybe recordings?

Attachments

• browser_2012-06-01_115539.png
    browser_2012-06-01_115539.png
    242.3 KB

Aredon

Portal Member
June 26, 2011
Home Country
Re: AW: WebMediaPortal Design

I like the new design :)

Yeah I like it to, I'll be working on a draft of it today. (I assume you're talking about my design friend's photoshop mockup from the previous post)

It's a bit more complicated so it may take me a little while.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
February 4, 2009
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
I can tell you didn't visit that page at all
You've posted a screenshot not a link, as far as i can see...

Unless you are speaking about the background area, in which case this only exists on a wide screen monitor (because it's a fixed-width page @960px). I'll attach a screenshot of the mobile view, and you can visualize what would happen to the content. (this is the same width as my friend's photoshop concept that I posted earlier.)
Yeah i mean the background. Since most newer Tablets and Screens are way about 1280px width i don't see a problem in using some of this space(which would be wasted with a fixed 960px width).

As I mentioned earlier, large category drop downs aren't necessarily the direction we'd need to take. For instance:
I was more thinking about things like categories, genres...

Trying to do it on the back-end would probably be unwise anyway.
I think this is mainly based on the amount of data. Sorting long movie lists is much faster @ the backend. Of course shorter liste would cause high latency.

I was looking at that this morning, seems to me tv shows should be a filter within a "videos" menu item. Same for movies, and maybe recordings?
That's a common scenario also in XBMC's standard design, but personally i don't like this, and yeah i know that it's mainly the same argumentation for television...

To solve this what do you think about using a simple Setting to switch to different views? May be with this we can implement both strategies, and for me it's okay if we start with your version...

Aredon

Portal Member
June 26, 2011
Home Country
I can tell you didn't visit that page at all
You've posted a screenshot not a link, as far as i can see...
Back several posts to your original comment on drop downs, and you'll find it :).

http://harvesthq.github.com/chosen/
Unless you are speaking about the background area, in which case this only exists on a wide screen monitor (because it's a fixed-width page @960px). I'll attach a screenshot of the mobile view, and you can visualize what would happen to the content. (this is the same width as my friend's photoshop concept that I posted earlier.)
Yeah i mean the background. Since most newer Tablets and Screens are way about 1280px width i don't see a problem in using some of this space(which would be wasted with a fixed 960px width).
This isn't true, mobile browsers display rendered images and do not obey pixel density. They load the page, create an image that approximately holds all the content, and then display that to fit the resolution. This is why there is never side scroll, so 960 stretches to roughly the full 1280, and anything above 1280 gets compressed. Ergo: when you attempt to add more content and use the "extra space" you will effectively shrink the rest of the page. Unless you fit it exactly inside the 1280 resolution, but then you'd have no margin on that page, and you'd also be neglecting devices with smaller resolutions.

This is why many mobile designers attempt to do fluid width. The problem is that fluid width will cause all sorts of problems with floats and images, and just the layout in general. You rapidly lose control of the user experience across platforms. While it is possible to create a resolution responsive design experience, they're a huge pain to work with. I prefer to use fixed width and keep the page looking the same on all platforms.

I was more thinking about things like categories, genres...
This could be added to the group-by dropdown could it not?

I think this is mainly based on the amount of data. Sorting long movie lists is much faster @ the backend. Of course shorter liste would cause high latency.
The sorting itself may be faster, but if you do your sorting on the back end you have to add in page load times. Which means more data fetching and more load. It's easier on the user to sort client side in most cases.

To solve this what do you think about using a simple Setting to switch to different views? May be with this we can implement both strategies, and for me it's okay if we start with your version...
Is that really much different than skins? :D That sounds doable, I can't promise I'll have time to do both (but i'll try). Really the only reason I'm doing this is I don't have any projects that are earning me money while I'm on break. I need my code fix :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom