What do use to mirror you drives? (1 Viewer)

Surfer

Portal Pro
May 20, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
What software do use to Mirror your drives?:D

infy

Portal Member
January 27, 2006
I use rsync.

It might be a bit confusing at first but it can do crazy stuff :)
works with and between os platforms

...ow and it's free

rsync -avr --exclude "\[A.00\]\ Nieuw" --exclude "\[D.00\]\ Familie\ Video8" --exclude "\[D.01\]\ Familie\ VHS" --exclude "\[D.02\]\ Familie\ DVR" --progress --compare-dest=/cygdrive/y/ /cygdrive/c/MediaJunc/Films/ /cygdrive/q/
/

I have locations that I want synced but the connection between the two isn't good enough to copy all the data directly. So what the above line does is: Compare source and destination. And anything that isn't on source is copied to an external hdd :) (it also excludes some other stuff)

(/cygdrive/c/ < means C:\ )

just to show you that anything is possible...

Surfer

Portal Pro
May 20, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
infy,

I hope it's okay to reply to your reply with this question.
Can point me in the correct direction on what I need to study, to learn how to: (know, understand and do) what you wrote below:

rsync -avr --exclude "\[A.00\]\ Nieuw" --exclude "\[D.00\]\ Familie\ Video8" --exclude "\[D.01\]\ Familie\ VHS" --exclude "\[D.02\]\ Familie\ DVR" --progress --compare-dest=/cygdrive/y/ /cygdrive/c/MediaJunc/Films/ /cygdrive/q/

Looking at what is written I get the idea, I just would not be able to do it on my computer. Any thoughts on where and what to study is Greatly Appreciated.

:D

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I'm using a Conceptronic CH3SNAS with two 1TB drives in it in RAID1. I even have a small Debian server running on it on which I can install whatever I like (torrent/usenet client, webserver with PHP/MySQL/PERL, FTP, and so on..... server without any noticable perfomace impact). The device itself is absolutely fantastic and 'only' costs about 125 euro, without the drives. With a gigabit network and Jumbo Frames enabled (option in the CH3SNAS configuration interface) you can get up to 20MB read/write over your LAN.

I can only say positive things about this device. The hardware is great, super easy installation (no screws used), big fanbase, custom firmware, good default firmware, JBOB, RAID0 and RAID1 support . +++++ No need for mirroring with this device :)

infy

Portal Member
January 27, 2006
infy,

I hope it's okay to reply to your reply with this question.
Can point me in the correct direction on what I need to study, to learn how to: (know, understand and do) what you wrote below:

Looking at what is written I get the idea, I just would not be able to do it on my computer. Any thoughts on where and what to study is Greatly Appreciated.

:D

It's your thread. you can ask whatever you want. :)

Redirect < windows version of rsync

rsync < manual for all versions of rsync

simple example:
create a .cmd file
edit in notepad
copy paste:
SETLOCAL
SET CWRSYNCHOME=%PROGRAMFILES%\CWRSYNC
SET CYGWIN=nontsec
SET HOME=%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
SET CWOLDPATH=%PATH%
SET PATH=%CWRSYNCHOME%\BIN;%PATH%

and then add your custom rsync configuration like the simple example below:

rsync -avr /cygdrive/c/source/ /cygdrive/d/destination/

What this would do is compare C:\source and D:\destination and whatever is not at the destination will be copied from source to destination.

if you add -n to the list (rsync -avrn /cygdrive/c/source/ /cygdrive/d/destination/ ) it will do a dry run first.

save the file and run it.

if you want you can schedule it with windows schedule thingy.

feel free to ask more questions! good luck...

Users who are viewing this thread