What new feature do you want most? (1 Viewer)

What new feature do you want most?

• Filtering on the GUI (by genre, year, watched flag, etc.)

Votes: 70 40.0%
  • Localization (i.e. multilingual support)

Votes: 36 20.6%
  • Additional data providers (IMDB, impawards.com, scriptable)

Votes: 66 37.7%
  • Logo support ala TV-Series (mediainfo.dll integration)

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Better movie backdrop (fanart) support (in GUI, menu to select and download ala TV-Series)

Votes: 63 36.0%
  • Something else (post details below)

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

thesystemera

Portal Pro
May 26, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Sorry know this has probably been mentioned plenty of times but are we planning on having views based on Genre...

Just the basics

"Action and Adventure" "Comedy" "Documentary" "Drama" ETC... You could have a tick box like system so for instance I could tick "Science Fiction" and "Thriller"...

I have a lot of films, about 400 on my database and this would be great to make the choosing process that much more easier... Seems like a natural evolution for what is MediaPortal's must have plugin :)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi all :)

I don't know if these have already been suggested...

1) user defined path for "Backdrops" and "Covers" folders (i.e, network drive)
2) option to update movie details by using its (editable) IMDb ID so as to be able to easily retrieve the correct details
(i.e, "Update details based on IMDb ID" option)
3) in the Moving Pictures Configuration window, right-clicking a thumbnail to access an "edit" option (i.e, in Photoshop)
4) no rounding of the IMDb score / ability to use half stars (.5) in skins

Let me know if you want more suggestions. :D

I forgot something...

5) option to retrieve short summary (as well as the "long" one) from IMDb
Possible usage: display the short summary in the thumbnail/list/filmstrip views, display the "long" one in the movie details view.

Item #1 is already possible, you can set the backdrop and coverart folders under the advanced settings screen. The only caveat is this only works moving forward, it will not move existing covers or backdrops. If you manually move all your artwork though, Moving Pictures will rescan and pick up the existing files in the new folder automatically.

Item #2 is also already possible. If you choose to search with a manually entered search string from the importer, if you punch in an IMDb ID, it will auto match to whatever you choose. This option will be much more clear in 0.8, but you can already search by IMDb ID in 0.7. For movies already imported with incorrect details, just send them back to the importer from the movie manager.

As for item #3, adding the option to launch an image editor from the config screen for covers and backdrops, this is an interesting idea. I think this is probably a low priority enhancement so I think it will not get implemented by our core team in the near future, but I would still encourage you to create an enhancement issue on our tracker. Assuming it were implemented cleanly, if someone not regularly developing for Moving Pictures created a patch for this, we would of course integrate it as well. If anyone is thinking of doing this though, be sure to discuss in the issue thread for the enhancement request.

Item #4, better handling of ratings is already scheduled. It is currently slated for 0.8, but it is set as a low priority, so it is possible it will slip to 0.9. Hopefully not though.

Item #5, allowing for both a short and long summary from data providers is also scheduled, although this probably will not get implemented until 0.9 at the earliest.

Thanks for the feedback, we definitely appreciate it. We'd love to hear any other ideas you have, but keep in mind that a lot of planned features are documented in our issue tracker, so you may want to take a peek over there to see if any of your thoughts have already been mentioned. Feel free to add comments there if you feel you have something to add. And please, for any issues you are excited about, the star system on Google Code is a way to let the developers know what you care about. Items with more stars will generally tend to get worked on sooner than items with fewer stars. Staring an issue also means that you will receive email updates as discussion takes place about an issue, and as work progresses.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
Sorry know this has probably been mentioned plenty of times but are we planning on having views based on Genre...

Just the basics

"Action and Adventure" "Comedy" "Documentary" "Drama" ETC... You could have a tick box like system so for instance I could tick "Science Fiction" and "Thriller"...

I have a lot of films, about 400 on my database and this would be great to make the choosing process that much more easier... Seems like a natural evolution for what is MediaPortal's must have plugin :)

This is planned for the next major release, Moving Pictures 0.8. There are a couple of threads floating around (here is one) about it if you are interested in more details about how it will be implemented.

ddlooping

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 23, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Two already possible and two scheduled?!?!! :eek:

That makes me a happy camper, thanks fforde. :)

I promise I'll check the issue tracker from now on. ;)

P.S: I had forgotten about the Advanced Settings. :oops:

Quick question related to the Advanced settings...

When using an external player - KMPlayer in my case - does the "Custom Intro" function still work?

jocke

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I don't know if some of this has already been suggested, but here I go;

1) A way to update score/rating on all movies from one source, or the average score/rating from multiple sources

2) Fetch Cover Art for all movies from selected sources (you're given the option to choose one or more), the cover art you currently have selected, will still be the one that is selected after update

3) A way to choose what language you want titles to be (f.ex: first try to get Spanish title, if none exists, get Portuguese title, if none exists, get English title)

4) A way to search/filter for titles in the Movie Manager - having 700+ titles spread across 7 disks, finding out whether or not I have the title, is kinda pain-in-the-ass

5) A way to re-scan the entire database for locally stored artwork (both cover art and backdrop)

That would be all.

jocke

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    6) "Statistics" in the configuration pane (mainly number of movies in total, but other statistics could be added as well)

7) A small addition to 4)

A way to filter/show movies from the last import (to change cover art etc). This could also be achieved if you could sort the list after date added or some kind of movieid.

edit: 7) would be ultrasweet, especially now that I found out it auto-imports movies when running MP. This means I'll have to manually remember what movies I've added, and then go into configuration to change it later on. Pain in the ass :p

Example
    Code:
    15-May-2009 16:35:54  Info [       MovieImporter]: Auto-approved The Good the Bad and the Ugly 1966.mkv as Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo.

In addition to remember what movies I've added (or check the logs), I'm actually forced to check the log, like in the above example, since it's not listed with movies starting with 'G'.

...oh, and the last two posts may sound like I'm complaining, which I really don't. Or. I might. Anyhow, I do truly L O V E this plugin. Far less work then what I had using MyMovies + MesFilms.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    I don't know if some of this has already been suggested, but here I go;

1) A way to update score/rating on all movies from one source, or the average score/rating from multiple sources
    So basically you are asking for the ability to do a bulk update from an online data source for only one field? This is something we could probably do if there is enough demand. You should create an enhancement request on our issue tracker and we will see about getting it scheduled.

2) Fetch Cover Art for all movies from selected sources (you're given the option to choose one or more), the cover art you currently have selected, will still be the one that is selected after update
    So you want your selected cover to change when you update from online? I am not sure I like the idea of this, and I think the new selection would kind of be arbitrary. Allowing for a bulk update I think would make sense though, again create an enhancement request on our tracker and we will try to get it scheduled. It doesn't sound like it would be too difficult.

3) A way to choose what language you want titles to be (f.ex: first try to get Spanish title, if none exists, get Portuguese title, if none exists, get English title)
    Already planned.

4) A way to search/filter for titles in the Movie Manager - having 700+ titles spread across 7 disks, finding out whether or not I have the title, is kinda pain-in-the-ass
    Already planned.

5) A way to re-scan the entire database for locally stored artwork (both cover art and backdrop)
    I think this is the same thing as #2 above.

6) "Statistics" in the configuration pane (mainly number of movies in total, but other statistics could be added as well)
    This would be a neat idea. We have casually talked about doing this before, but I don't think we have an issue in our tracker for it to get scheduled. I think the most likely implementation would be some extra statistics displayed on the about page unless we did something more fancy with graphs and stuff. Something like this will probably go into 0.8 though.

7) A small addition to 4)

A way to filter/show movies from the last import (to change cover art etc). This could also be achieved if you could sort the list after date added or some kind of movieid.

edit: 7) would be ultrasweet, especially now that I found out it auto-imports movies when running MP. This means I'll have to manually remember what movies I've added, and then go into configuration to change it later on. Pain in the ass :p

As I mentioned above, this is planned. Once the filtering system is implemented for the GUI we will probably be moving components of it to the Movie Manager in the config.

...oh, and the last two posts may sound like I'm complaining, which I really don't. Or. I might. Anyhow, I do truly L O V E this plugin. Far less work then what I had using MyMovies + MesFilms.
    No worries, always glad to get feedback. For the issues you feel strongly about, go create an issue for them on our tracker though, thats how we officially manage and plan our work. Anything not in there is liable to be forgotten.

jocke

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    So basically you are asking for the ability to do a bulk update from an online data source for only one field?
    Yes. It's only the rating that's relevant though, as it is almost the only thing that is changed.

So you want your selected cover to change when you update from online?
    No, that's not what I mean. The first time I ran the import on my movies, I had only the 'Local Data'-scraper active (fetching pre-stored covers). This was to make the import go quicker. Going through the movies afterwards, I had several where I wanted to change the cover, hence I needed to manually click the 'Refresh Cover Art selection from Online Data Sources' on quite a large number of movies. So indeed, It's a 'bulk update'-feature I'm trying to explain. However, the Cover Art that is currently selected on the movies, stays as selected, even if new Cover Art's are scraped.

I think this is the same thing as #2 above.
    Yes, as long as #2 covers both Cover Art and Backdrops, using the already-implemented 'Data Source'-system.

This would be a neat idea. We have casually talked about doing this before, but I don't think we have an issue in our tracker for it to get scheduled.
    Should I make an issue on the tracker regarding this?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom