What new feature do you want most? (1 Viewer)

What new feature do you want most?

• Filtering on the GUI (by genre, year, watched flag, etc.)

Votes: 70 40.0%
  • Localization (i.e. multilingual support)

Votes: 36 20.6%
  • Additional data providers (IMDB, impawards.com, scriptable)

Votes: 66 37.7%
  • Logo support ala TV-Series (mediainfo.dll integration)

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Better movie backdrop (fanart) support (in GUI, menu to select and download ala TV-Series)

Votes: 63 36.0%
  • Something else (post details below)

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I think you misunderstood my post (or I misunderstood your answer ;)). What you describe appears to be working, but is a very awkward way of filling the database. I'd like to be able to fill the database with all my dvds in a quick way. preferably by entering some list of names (i have an ant database, so I guess it should be possible to export such a list to an ascii file), but one by one would be fine as well, since that is much less work for you to code.

Basically, i think the plugin needs a "manual insert". You tell the program that you are adding a movie, fill in it's origin (where DVD, instead of a drive letter would be great, in case it'd ever change), fill in the movie name and let the plugin work its magic.

I realize this is out of your original scope, but since it still only focusses on movies and adds functionality that is also useful inside your scope, i tihnk it still applies. Personally i think dvd support is important, i cannot believe i am the only one with a mixed assortment of hd and dvd movies.

I will add it to the issue tracker.

Oh and :D

Hrmm... I could possibly see a one time import method to pull in data from an Ant database that was previously used with MyFilms to ease the transition for new users. I have thought about setting up something to do a one time import from MyVideos as well, but I think both of these features are a ways off, and very possibly will never happen. It's just that both features would require a lot of work, and I think the number of users that would benefit from it would be relatively small.

As for adding movies that are not linked to a specific piece of media, I am a bit skeptical of this approach. I will give it some thought, but when it comes down to it, the plug-in is really not designed to be a catalog of external media. I think this might be something that eventually gets implemented, but I am afraid it might be pretty low on the priority list unless a lot of people start clamoring for the feature.

Boiler

Portal Pro
July 29, 2007
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
a couple of more ideas/suggestions (i don't know if this has been mentioned before)

1. when a movie has been misidentified and you try reassining a different movie to the file from the movie manager, the year of the movie is not displayed. this makes it hard to select the correct movie.
also, searching with a different name doesn't seem to work in the movie manager tab. you have to go back to the movie importer tab to search with a different name.

2. in movie importer: how about adding the option to show 'previously excluded files'?

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
The single movie importer that launches from the Movie Manager tab is very buggy and needs some work. I went ahead and created an issue mentioning the two problems you pointed out. Really the dialog has some usability issues as well, so we will try to get it taken care of before long.

A list of previously ignored files is coming, hopefully in the next release. We will see if it can be squeezed in though.

Kingmob

Portal Pro
August 27, 2007
Rotterdam
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hrmm... I could possibly see a one time import method to pull in data from an Ant database that was previously used with MyFilms to ease the transition for new users. I have thought about setting up something to do a one time import from MyVideos as well, but I think both of these features are a ways off, and very possibly will never happen. It's just that both features would require a lot of work, and I think the number of users that would benefit from it would be relatively small.

As for adding movies that are not linked to a specific piece of media, I am a bit skeptical of this approach. I will give it some thought, but when it comes down to it, the plug-in is really not designed to be a catalog of external media. I think this might be something that eventually gets implemented, but I am afraid it might be pretty low on the priority list unless a lot of people start clamoring for the feature.

Hmm, too bad. The plugin is open source right? If i ever get the time i'll take a look, i think i should be able to add that feature myself if that is ok?

That you don't feel like coding an import method i can agree too. But the step from manually adding a single movie to importing an ascii file is rather small and then the user can figure out for himself how to get a list of his dvds from whatever source they originally had.

ddlooping

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 23, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello all. :)

First of all thanks for your excellent plugin and the work you put into it.
    icon14.gif

Second, I, like Kingmob, would very much appreciate the ability to add titles that are not linked to files.
    I have about 68 HD-DVDs that I would like to avoid ripping. ;)
    I guess they could be added one by one, using the movie manager form, with the addition of a checkbox indicating they are disks as oppose to files.
    A "please insert the disk" message could appear when choosing to play one of these movies.

e_razor

Portal Member
    July 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hey fforde. First of all, you are in the progress of making the mother of all Movie plugins in my book. I'm a very ferquent user of Mp Tv Series plugin, i'm sure this is said 100's of times in this post (didnt have time to read all threads). If this plugin would "learn" a little from this also great and well written plugin be capable of using mediainfo.dll and logo support + some more views i'd say this is the most usefull and most beautifull plugin for mediaportal yet. I am very satisfied with the plugin even now at this early stage. Keep up the good work! I think i have tested pretty much all plugins of this type and this is the one that shows the most promise by far.
    The backdrop importer is pretty outstanding as it is allready, its real intutive finding the correct movie in at least 75% of the time, wich is huge compared to most plugins i've tested with my rather *cough* huge collection of movies.

In closing i would like to thank you for using your spare time to program this awsome plugin that the community will enjoy for a long time to come.

A little feature that would upgrade the usabilty in the short run would be to enable the plugin to show the path where the movie is located somewhere on the screen while a better feature is beeing developed. Maybe option to turn this on/off.

mojo_lo

Portal Member
    September 1, 2007
    Hello all. :)

First of all thanks for your excellent plugin and the work you put into it.
    icon14.gif

Second, I, like Kingmob, would very much appreciate the ability to add titles that are not linked to files.
    I have about 68 HD-DVDs that I would like to avoid ripping. ;)
    I guess they could be added one by one, using the movie manager form, with the addition of a checkbox indicating they are disks as oppose to files.
    A "please insert the disk" message could appear when choosing to play one of these movies.

There's a thread on this already. Feel free to chime in if you have any other suggestions.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...al-discussion-how-add-many-movies-dvds-49115/

Sounds like this feature would be helpful to more than a few people. :)

vl002001

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    here are 2 things i would like to see:

1. when you move files to different folders, right now it keep the old entry and makes a new one so you see the movie twice. it would be good if it either recognized the move and adjusted the entry, or if that's too hard if it simply erased the old entry and made a new one. just anything so there aren't 2 entries and you have to go into the config and delete one of them

2. this one i think you guys are working on, but it is really really important to somehow be able to sort the list. ideally it would be like the SHARES view in the 'my videos'. that's a great way to sort the movies.

:D
    and great job on the plugin, it's very impressive.

Boiler

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    okay, after using movingpictures now for some time and also trying out a few different skins, i have a few more suggestions/questions (some of those have probably been asked before...). Mostly in concerns fanart:

1. random display of different backdrops/fanart
    for instance, with the streamedmp skin and the tvseries plugin, the user has the possibility to let different backdrops be displayed in, say, 15 sec intervalls. it would be great if this could be impemented in movingpictures, possibily with a further enhancement: general view displays backdrops 1-10 in 15 sec intervall. once you go to the details view of movie, the backdrop change could be triggered, displaying a different backdrop (if available) and then start displaying random images again in the defined intervalls (oh boy, i hope it's clear what i mean...)

2. download fanart from within movingpictures
    again, in the tvseries plugin (using the streamedmp skin), it is possible to download fanart from within the plugin. first a small thumb is shown and the user can then decide which backdrop he wants to download

marvenius

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2008
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    1. random display of different backdrops/fanart
    for instance, with the streamedmp skin and the tvseries plugin, the user has the possibility to let different backdrops be displayed in, say, 15 sec intervalls. it would be great if this could be impemented in movingpictures, possibily with a further enhancement: general view displays backdrops 1-10 in 15 sec intervall. once you go to the details view of movie, the backdrop change could be triggered, displaying a different backdrop (if available) and then start displaying random images again in the defined intervalls (oh boy, i hope it's clear what i mean...)

2. download fanart from within movingpictures
    again, in the tvseries plugin (using the streamedmp skin), it is possible to download fanart from within the plugin. first a small thumb is shown and the user can then decide which backdrop he wants to download
    Well, point 1 is up to the skinner (or modder of). Displaying random fanart with x seconds interval is already possible, but only from within the skin. The plugin doesn't do much more than feed a (1 or more) specific related backdrop/coverart whatever.

2 will be possible and up to the plugin.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom