When ripping DVD's to MP (1 Viewer)

Rich78

Portal Member
November 22, 2005
When ripping DVD's to MP what do most of you do?

Currently I rip to divx to concerve space but this has the obvious problem of loosing the quality of the DVD.

Does the loss of quality matter that much to most people?

Tweek

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    personally i rip the whole DVD with DVDFabDecrypter. Quality is ofcourse important, why settle for less than true DVD-quality when i have access to the disc? Disk space is no real concern (yet) since i use a separate old computer with FreeNAS, i just add disks when i need more space and i reach my files from anywhere, anytime.

//tweek

Manbearpig77

Portal Member
    August 7, 2006
    England
    Im using Fairwizard to convert all my DVDs to DivX 6
    You dont loose that much quality these days with the latest versions of DivX and obviously you can store stacks of stuff on you're machine.
    I'll be getting a projector for my machine so I need the video quality to be quite high.
    This seems to do the trick :p

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ehh.. you can't rip DVDs from within MP, right?

Would be cool, though... 8)

I've only used DVD Shrink ('coz its free)

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Please check the wiki, which explains how to prepare and use MP2. If files are stored as mp4, mkv, avi, ... does not really matter.
    Please check the wiki, which explains how to prepare and use MP2. If files are stored as mp4, mkv, avi, ... does not really matter.
    I am running MP2 on a computer running Windows 10 Pro. When I start MP2 I see a screen displaying square images to the left ...
    Replies
    Views
    The problem with MP 1.32 was that the TV Server component was still 32-bit, even when you installed the 64-bit version of the MP client. MP 1.33 will have 32-bit and 64-bit versions of both the MP client and TV Server. My understanding is that it will not be possible to perform an upgrade install from a 64-bit client + 32-bit TV...
    The problem with MP 1.32 was that the TV Server component was still 32-bit, even when you installed the 64-bit version of the MP...
    This is on a windows 11 latest rev OS: This particular component has been very frustrating. I'm a new potential user, trying to...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi, my answers to your questions: I use MariaDB 10.5 and Mediaportal 1.33 x86 as a user, not an administrator. MP. When I start Mediaportal, no TV service appears to have started. If I start Mediaportal as administrator everything is ok. Starting the TV service separately is only possible as an administrator. If I then start...
    Hi, my answers to your questions: I use MariaDB 10.5 and Mediaportal 1.33 x86 as a user, not an administrator. MP. When I start...
    I updated to 1.33 today and I thought everything went smoothly except on restarting MediaPortal requests me to specify the IP...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi Steve, nice to see you're still around! The question is a bit broad so it's hard to give a solid anwser. In which part is this happening? My videos/MovingPictures/Onlinevideos? And do you use something like subcentral/subtitledownloader? Also log files in full debug mode of such a playback where it picks the old subtitlefile could...
    Hi Steve, nice to see you're still around! The question is a bit broad so it's hard to give a solid anwser. In which part is this...
    It appears that MP somehow caches previously used subtitle files for subsequent use next time the same video is played. My problem...
    Replies
    Views
    Just those I attached. I messed about with task priorities MP/TV-Server/SQL-Server and the issue changed to the skin.. I would do something, but it would be 10's of seconds before the action happened. Doing an Alt-Tab would flush the actions. Too weird lol!! So, with some flak from the family, I had to give in. I just did a...
    Just those I attached. I messed about with task priorities MP/TV-Server/SQL-Server and the issue changed to the skin.. I would do...
    So, this one has me quite stumped. Have tried ) and a few things - driver updates, kicking the box, threatening it with a static...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom