Which CAM for Canal Digitaal? (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Phaedra

Is it possible that you have not selected the correct "band type" (LNB type)? Note that if your LNB type isn't listed then you should use the LNB override frequencies...

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm also using 2 Aston cam's in my FloppyDTV-S2's. By using that card i can decode 2 channels per card on the same transponder as supported bij MediaPortal.

Greetings,

Wouter

Phaedra

Portal Pro
    January 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi Phaedra

Is it possible that you have not selected the correct "band type" (LNB type)? Note that if your LNB type isn't listed then you should use the LNB override frequencies...

I selected the same Band as before, the first in the list (KU Linerar Universal)....

I used to run MP 1.1.3 on that machine, and I had a complete channel list in there, which I exported.
    I then did a complete uninstall, and installed MP 1.2.0.

When I do the channel scan with exactly the same settings as before, I don't get any channel from my provider.
    Apparently, I get channels from another satellite on this LNB (the British channels like BBC etc). This sounds like a dish alignment problem, but that I don't understand : it worked perfectly before the uninstall...

I then tried to import my channel list, succesfully.
    Whenever I select one of my provider channel and try to preview or do manual timeshift, I get the message "channel not mapped to any card".
    I checked the channel mapping over and over again, but I keep getting this message.

Somehow MP doesn't really like me.

I'm also using 2 Aston cam's in my FloppyDTV-S2's. By using that card i can decode 2 channels per card on the same transponder as supported bij MediaPortal.

Greetings,

Wouter

Thanks Wouter, for the reply.

But in my case, I have 4 tuners, and I would like to use 1 CAM (since I only have 1 smartcard).
    Per tuner I would be happy to decode only 1 channel simultaneously, but I would like to share my CAM over the 4 tuners, as the DD setup supports.
    How would I be able to tell if this CAM will support this ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Phaedra

I selected the same Band as before, the first in the list (KU Linerar Universal)....

I used to run MP 1.1.3 on that machine, and I had a complete channel list in there, which I exported.
    I then did a complete uninstall, and installed MP 1.2.0.

When I do the channel scan with exactly the same settings as before, I don't get any channel from my provider.
    Apparently, I get channels from another satellite on this LNB (the British channels like BBC etc). This sounds like a dish alignment problem, but that I don't understand : it worked perfectly before the uninstall...

As I recall you have had *many* problems with either DiSEqC or signal issues, so I would respectfully suggest that it didn't exactly work perfectly. Perhaps you should get your dish alignment checked or test without your DiSEqC switch/switches.

I then tried to import my channel list, succesfully.
    Whenever I select one of my provider channel and try to preview or do manual timeshift, I get the message "channel not mapped to any card".
    I checked the channel mapping over and over again, but I keep getting this message.
    Are the channels encrypted, and have you set up the CAM settings for the tuner?

Somehow MP doesn't really like me.

:D
    Most people do not have the problems you are having unless something is really badly wrong. A dish that is out of alignment or a tuner that is not able to reliably make DiSEqC switches change to the right port would explain many the problems you have encountered. None of that is within the control of MP. Besides, I just saw the new signal problem thread that you started and it seems that DVBDream confirms them. When two programs have problems then it is more likely to be something else (dish, switch, cabling etc.)...

Phaedra

Portal Pro
    January 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I did have my share of problems, and this didn't stop really...

I did an alignment of the disc multiple times, replaced all my diseqc switches, and this resulted in a succesful installation for non-encrypted channels.
    I then bought a subscription and smartcard. I wanted to share this smartcard with multiple tuners, so I first experimented with softcam. This was succesful, I could decrypt all my provider's channels.

All of a sudden, a couple of weeks ago, this setup stopped working for the encrypted channels.
    Since there is no support to be found for this, I decided to spend more money and buy the DD equipent mentioned above.

Thsi lead to the requiremnt of installing MP 1.2.0, with the consequences described above.

I am really trying hard to understand what is going on here, but it isn't easy.
    Is it even possible that my dish got this badly misaligned that I get no signal at all on channels that I could receive perfectly two weeks ago ?

I am a bit reluctant towards dish alignment, because I had an accident the last time I aligned it...fell off the ladder and almost broke my leg. Only just recovered from the limping, leg still hurting badly...

Regarding the channel mapping : is there a link to the CAM issue ?
    I disabled the CAM completely, checked the channel mapping again, but still I get the message that the channel is not mapped to any card.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I did have my share of problems, and this didn't stop really...

I did an alignment of the disc multiple times, replaced all my diseqc switches, and this resulted in a succesful installation for non-encrypted channels.
    I then bought a subscription and smartcard. I wanted to share this smartcard with multiple tuners, so I first experimented with softcam. This was succesful, I could decrypt all my provider's channels.

All of a sudden, a couple of weeks ago, this setup stopped working for the encrypted channels.
    Just to be clear: only the encrypted channels? I guess you know that the smartcard has to be inserted into the regular provider equipment occasionally to keep up with any encryption updates...

Since there is no support to be found for this, I decided to spend more money and buy the DD equipent mentioned above.

Thsi lead to the requiremnt of installing MP 1.2.0, with the consequences described above.
    The provider frequencies are in MHz whereas the MP frequencies in tuning detail files and TV Server configuration are in kHz. Just add three zeroes to the end, so 12187 would be 12187000...

I am really trying hard to understand what is going on here, but it isn't easy.
    Is it even possible that my dish got this badly misaligned that I get no signal at all on channels that I could receive perfectly two weeks ago ?
    We did do some serious changes that could cause channels not to be picked up in a scan, but if you imported channels from 1.1.3 then they should still work. Some logs would help...

I am a bit reluctant towards dish alignment, because I had an accident the last time I aligned it...fell off the ladder and almost broke my leg. Only just recovered from the limping, leg still hurting badly...
    Fair enough - I'm *really* sorry to hear that and I hope you are able to recover fully quickly. :sorry:

Regarding the channel mapping : is there a link to the CAM issue ?
    I disabled the CAM completely, checked the channel mapping again, but still I get the message that the channel is not mapped to any card.
    What I meant is that you can't view encrypted channels unless the CAM is set up. I think you also have to set up the mappings again after an import. Again, logs would be helpful...

Phaedra

Portal Pro
    January 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Ok, thanks for the extra info.
    I just tried a new scan on Astra 19.2. My channel list states freq 12721, so I selected :
    Advanced tuning options
    single transponder
    freq 12721000 symb 22000 FEC 5/6

No signal

I attach the logs, but I warn you : they're huge, considering my frantic attempts....

Phaedra

Portal Pro
    January 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Just to be clear: only the encrypted channels? I guess you know that the smartcard has to be inserted into the regular provider equipment occasionally to keep up with any encryption updates...

Yes, only the encrypted channels failed suddenly.
    I was showing off my installation to a friend of mine, we had a drink in the garden, and when I wanted to watch the news an hour or so later, nothing seemed to work anymore... The unencrypted channels still worked.

Do I understand corrctly that MP does not support this updating of encryption ?
    It did the job nicely to activate my smartcard, though. (you could not accuse me of not saying anything positive of MP :D )
    When I bought it, it did not decode the channels, as the provider explained. I had to request an activation signal from the provider, which would cause something to be written to the smartcard. It took a while (also as explained), but after an hour or so it worked and I got a nice and clear image.
    So that mechanism seems to be working under MP.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You weren't kidding about the logs length! :D

From what I can tell you've got Astra 28.2e on DiSEqC port BA and Astra 19.2e on port BB. You did at least 2 full scans this morning with lots of single scans.

- Pretty much all the single scans were using the wrong frequency (eg. 12722 instead of 12721), so they didn't work (well one did, but that must have been a random chance).
    - The full scans mostly worked on vertical polarity, but horizontal polarity only worked up to 11954 MHz (ZDF).
    - DVB-S2 scanning worked on lower transponders, but it didn't work on higher transponders when other DVB-S transponders did work.
    - The transponders that do not work consistently do not work. The transponder that do work consistently work.

You won't like this, but there is simply no explanation other than signal problems for the above conditions. If it were me, I would get a satellite installer in to check the dish and LNB alignment. It will cost some money, but at least you can be certain that things will be as good as possible at the dish.

Do I understand corrctly that MP does not support this updating of encryption ?
    It did the job nicely to activate my smartcard, though. (you could not accuse me of not saying anything positive of MP :D )
    When I bought it, it did not decode the channels, as the provider explained. I had to request an activation signal from the provider, which would cause something to be written to the smartcard. It took a while (also as explained), but after an hour or so it worked and I got a nice and clear image.
    So that mechanism seems to be working under MP.
    If your smartcard was able to be activated then it is likely I am wrong - ignore that comment. :oops:

Best regards,
    mm

PS: the frequency for TV Vlaanderen is 12722H - *way* above the working transponders. It would go so far as to say that it will not work in any software unless you fix the dish alignment. It might work if you remove the switches, but only because the signal level is increased when you don't have switches connected.

Phaedra

Portal Pro
    January 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    You weren't kidding about the logs length! :D.

Do I ever sound as if I'm kidding ? ;)

You won't believe this, but meanwhile I got something working...
    I decided that the weather was too good to be behind a PC, so I shut down everything and relaxed a bit in the sun.
    I just came back in to check up on things, read your reply and gave it another try.

I just scanned again, and whaddayouknow, there were my channels again !
    I don't understand what happened, but at least I have something to build on....

- Pretty much all the single scans were using the wrong frequency (eg. 12722 instead of 12721), so they didn't work (well one did, but that must have been a random chance).
    - The full scans mostly worked on vertical polarity, but horizontal polarity only worked up to 11954 MHz (ZDF).
    - DVB-S2 scanning worked on lower transponders, but it didn't work on higher transponders when other DVB-S transponders did work.
    - The transponders that do not work consistently do not work. The transponder that do work consistently work.

You're right, those were wrong frequencies, but I also tried others, also without success.

You won't like this, but there is simply no explanation other than signal problems for the above conditions. If it were me, I would get a satellite installer in to check the dish and LNB alignment. It will cost some money, but at least you can be certain that things will be as good as possible at the dish.

I will consider that very seriously, it is a solid advice, and it will allow me to eliminate that part of the installation of my suspects list.

If your smartcard was able to be activated then it is likely I am wrong - ignore that comment. :oops:

You are forgiven, you're still my hero :)

But anyhow I am considering buying a cheap DVB-S receiver for multiple reasons :
    - it would take the stress out of the troubleshooting in case something goes awry again
    - I have a permanent backup to watch TV
    - it will certainly allow me to perform CI or other updates that are provider related
    - it is an extra means of verifying if a problem is PC-related, MP-related or dish-related.

PS: the frequency for TV Vlaanderen is 12722H - *way* above the working transponders. It would go so far as to say that it will not work in any software unless you fix the dish alignment. It might work if you remove the switches, but only because the signal level is increased when you don't have switches connected.
    [/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure I understand what you're trying to say here.
    Do you mean that the higher the frequency, the more critical the alignment is ?

:D
    Thanks ever so much for all your help and advice.
    I will enjoy the good weather a bit more, and as soon as I have more news I will post it here.

The only open question I still have is the following :
    when Digital Devices states that my CAM has to support MTD, how can I check this ?
    The Aston dual CAM, reported on this forum by another TV Vlaanderen subscriber, apparently decrypts for two tuners and for this provider succesfully. Can I conclude then that it will work for 4 tuners in my DD setup ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom