Which DVD-RW is quiet? (1 Viewer)

sgryd

Portal Member
November 2, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I plan to build a quiet HTPC. I have some ideas on most of the components, but which DVD should I chose?

I've never had a quiet DVD nor CD-player in a computer.

Any sugestions?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    If you use Nero DriveSpeed, you can control the read speed of most CD/DVD drives to make them nice and quiet.

I use a LITEON DVD writer with this utility and it is silent... :)

However, do not get an LG DVD writer as they do not respond to the Nero DriveSpeed utilty, and thus will be noisy when playing a CD or DVD!

Jowda

Portal Member
    October 26, 2005
    Denmark
    Sony's DRU 800

Hi

Yous should try out Sony's DRU 800, it run's very silently and smooth,
    the same you can say about the Tray, when opening at closing the drive
    it's very smooth and silent, the funny thing about this is that it's built at the same factory as the Liteon is, but it seems to be a better quality. :)

Regards Jowda

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

Nero DriveSpeed did the trick for me too with my NEC ND-3540. It's not really that noisy, only for CD's it was always spinning at high speed. After installing & configuring DriveSpeed, I hardly ever hear it.

Regards,
    Michel

phpchris

Portal Pro
    June 18, 2005
    NEC 3520 here, and never heard it!

I can recommend this one, since it never has any problems with whatever CD / DVD format you put in there!

It can read everything, just as it can write everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Hi, First off: there are some issues with the latest Mediaportal (32bits vs 64bits), so that is one of the issues you're stumbling with. If you take the previous version (1.31) it should work as expected. For IPTV there is also a different option (with different pros and cons): Onlinevideos. I'm using that sometimes for my IPTV as...
    Hi, First off: there are some issues with the latest Mediaportal (32bits vs 64bits), so that is one of the issues you're stumbling...
    Hi I am trying to play a m3u file from my IPTV provider, but when I try to install the TV part of Media Portal v1.3.2 I get an...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 Odd Standby issue DE
    Since I played around with all the settings as per the previous posts and despite putting everything back to how it was, as far as I can tell, now when my HTPC wakes up to make a recording it no longer does so in away mode. I will probably do a restore from a backup in the hope that that will resolve the issue.:mad:
    Since I played around with all the settings as per the previous posts and despite putting everything back to how it was, as far as...
    Generally standby is working well on My Mp 1.32 x64 pre set up. I just have one issue, which was also present on earlier x86...
    Replies
    Views
    Nice you could resolve the issue!
    Nice you could resolve the issue!
    I have MediaPortal 2.5 Server installed on one computer and Mediaportal 2.5 client on another. The client is connected to the...
    Replies
    Views
    I removed all sign of MySQL, rebooted, did a clean reinstall. It reinstalled 5.6, But I've still got both the same problem - unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts. And Hostname is still in red. I don't understand - this is a dedicated TV computer. Unless an update did this I don't know why there's a problem in the...
    I removed all sign of MySQL, rebooted, did a clean reinstall. It reinstalled 5.6, But I've still got both the same problem -...
    I've been using MediaPortal for 20 or so years. Last night it recorded perfectly. This arvo it doesn't - will run videos but not...
    Replies
    Views
    I uninstalled MP, made sure no sub folders were left n any programmes folders, changed the computer name, rebooted, installed MP and set logs and rebooted and ran TVServer. Didn't do anything in regard to S Loopback adapter. I've been using NextPvr since the problem became insurmountable. Only reason it's not a good long term...
    I uninstalled MP, made sure no sub folders were left n any programmes folders, changed the computer name, rebooted, installed MP...
    I've been using MediaPortal for 20 or so years. Last night it recorded perfectly. This arvo it doesn't - will run videos but not...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom