Win10 falls creators update problems watching videos (2 Viewers)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Further to my last post where I had reinstalled 1709 with an AMD GPU (rather than the Nvidia I was using earlier) on my Desktop PC, I continued getting very intermittent (1 or 2 a day) total freezeup hangs with several different versions of drivers. Since the install of last Tuesdays MS update and the latest WHGL AMD driver (17.11.1) however I have had no further problems.:) Reading the MS update release notes I see nothing specific addressing my problem, but it seems to have fixed it for me, also there has been positive feedback on the AMD forum and no further complaints, is it now only an issue with Intel GPUs????
    I have still not tried out 1709 on my HTPC also with AMD GPU which I do put to sleep. Can anyone confirm if the MS update has fixed the black screen on resume from sleep problem when using an AMD or Nvidia GPU?????

Cowboy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 25, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    KB4048955 didn't work for me. I waited with the new creators update until yesterday and the KB is now integrated.

I have an AMD APU 7700K with integrated R7 grafics, an older 60" plasma tv connected via HDMI. The Update to a new gfx driver didn't do the job neither. The best has been that the downloaded driver package from AMD even didn't realize what grafics card i have! At next I tried the automatic installer from the AMD site what functioned but the issue still persists. It's a pain in the ass.

I don't know what i tried so far. Many single actions but nothing helped. I cannot say it in words but i have the feeling that the new windows version does something with the picture that cannot be disabled. Even if i switch to 24 Hz refresh rate to view a blu-ray film the picture seems to be unstable. It looks as it is horizontally not syncronized (whole pixel colums that are delayed or so). A similar effect with games without v-Sync but vertically. I do have the effect also with VLC.

I didn't read the hole thread so it might be said already but pressing the windows key brings the monitor/tv back to live... and the blank/black screen problem is also an issue with Kodi so it is not an MP problem. I am so pissed :mad:

I hope someone finds a solution. I have opened a thread at microsoft. I will post here what excellent tips i might get from there.

ADVICE: if you can postpone the update - DO IT

Last edited:

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Windows KB update didn't fix it for me either. The Intel driver update refused to install, says my system doesn't meet minimum spec (it's a Pentium G3258 with the basic "HD Graphics"). So still relying on the task scheduler bodge for now.

Cowboy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 25, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmm. Sounds that there's a new HAL in town, preventing access to hardware specs... wouldn't it contradicts the sense of it? Maybe the gfx driver software has to be adepted... weird.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hmm. Sounds that there's a new HAL in town, preventing access to hardware specs... wouldn't it contradicts the sense of it? Maybe the gfx driver software has to be adepted... weird.
    Actually I've just noticed that the newest driver only supports Generation 6 and up CPUs. Mine's a Haswell (Gen 4). The driver I was already using is the newest one available for my CPU. Hopefully it's something MS can sort out - they broke it after all...

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've been running the latest AMD driver (17.11.2) on my HTPC for several days without any problems so yesterday I finally decided to give the CFU a try on it, though I set up a restore point and did a image backup first, just in case. All installed OK and as far as I can tell MP is running without problems, FHDTV, various vids, including 3D and the Online Videos plugin are all working well (using Madvr) and no blackscreen or other problems on resume from sleep.
    The only problem I have seen is that it has broken Cyberlinks' PowerDVD 15 which will no longer play 3D disks in 3D (I use PowerDVD 15 as the external player in MP for BD disks). 3D playback in the "Cinema mode" was working prior to the CFU update but now only plays in 2D, I am able to get 3D sometimes in the Classic mode or with 720 x50hz (small screen setting) in Cinema.

Cowboy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 25, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've been running the latest AMD driver (17.11.2) on my HTPC for several days without any problems so yesterday I finally decided to give the CFU a try on it, though I set up a restore point and did a image backup first, just in case. All installed OK and as far as I can tell MP is running without problems, FHDTV, various vids, including 3D and the Online Videos plugin are all working well (using Madvr) and no blackscreen or other problems on resume from sleep.
    The only problem I have seen is that it has broken Cyberlinks' PowerDVD 15 which will no longer play 3D disks in 3D (I use PowerDVD 15 as the external player in MP for BD disks). 3D playback in the "Cinema mode" was working prior to the CFU update but now only plays in 2D, I am able to get 3D sometimes in the Classic mode or with 720 x50hz (small screen setting) in Cinema.
    @joecrow Do you have the generic MP option "dynamic refresh rate" turned on? I do have this option active so everytme i start playback the screen will set to the desired refresh rate (TV shows at 50 Hz, Movies at 24 Hz, after playback back to 60 Hz). This is the point. Everytime MP switches the refresh rate the screen will turn black and picture won't be restored. I've heard about other similar problems when logging off/on but this is not the problem on my HTPC.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Cowboy I have the DRR option idisabled in MP, because Madvr handles the switching of refresh rates per the media types. (and it does do it, 50,23,25 etc are all used regularly.)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well after the initial relatively positive testing with 1709 as the evening wore on it became increasingly unstable with crazy things on the display and intermittent OS crashes durring playback (not on start or finish), although still no blackscreen on resume from sleep;). This morning I rolled back to 1703 using the recovery option but even that left things in a stange state (e.g. could not open Radeon stiings and other apps were playing up.). Finished up recovering from the image backup I took just prior to the update, All is now OK including 3D in PowerDVD 15.
    Very poor fom MS, I have never known an update that appears to offer so little but which has caused so many problems.:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom