Operating System Windows 7 & half fullscreen (3 Viewers)

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Windows 7 & half fullscreen

1. Install RealVNC or TightVNC and establish a remote connection to your HTPC.
    2. Remove your HDMI cable from your display
    3. Your resolution should now change to 800x600
    4. Start your CCC (Catalyst Control Center)
    5. Go to Desktop and Displays and you should now see an old CRT Monitor
    6. Right click oin the monitor and select "Configure"
    7. Unselect "Use Extendec Display ....."
    8. Then set the resolution to something... 800x600 or something, doesnt really matter
    9. Click on apply.
    10. Then go to Desktop Properties and you can now select your resolution (1280x720 or 1920x1080)

Hope it will work :)

Do you also have the new Catalyst 2? I see the old CRT Monitor but the only option i get is Identify - no configure setting and then the highest resolution is 1600 x ... ;-(

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    New solution (to overcome "Old CRT monitor" not available)

I have also had this problem (only installed win 7 this week for first time). I get the half screen problem whenever the folling flow of events occurs:

1. PC in standby with Amp and TV OFF
    2. PC recovers from standby (with the Amp and TV still OFF)
    3. Amp turned on (the PC screen resolution transiently changes from 1080 to 800x600 then back to 1080 duing the Amp power-on cycle - seen via VNC)
    4. TV turns on and the MP half screen is problem is evident (sometimes with associated MP unhandled error).

Airshark's solution (below) worked for me, but with some tweaks because some of his steps aren't available to me (for some reason - same reason as disaster123).

Originally Posted by Airshark

2. Remove your HDMI cable from your display
    3. Your resolution should now change to 800x600
    4. Start your CCC (Catalyst Control Center)
    5. Go to Desktop and Displays and you should now see an old CRT Monitor
    6. Right click oin the monitor and select "Configure"
    7. Unselect "Use Extendec Display ....."
    8. Then set the resolution to something... 800x600 or something, doesnt really matter
    9. Click on apply.
    10. Then go to Desktop Properties and you can now select your resolution (1280x720 or 1920x1080)

Hope it will work

Originally Posted by disaster123

Do you also have the new Catalyst 2? I see the old CRT Monitor but the only option i get is Identify - no configure setting and then the highest resolution is 1600 x ... ;-(

This is where the above solution was a problem for me too (I am using the latest version of Catalyst). To get round it, I modified the procedure to the following:

2. Remove your HDMI cable from your display.
    3. Your resolution should now change to 800x600 (you might drop VNC connection, but if you do then it should re-connect).
    4. Using VNC, right click on the desktop and select the Screen Resolution option (not in CCC), then configure the screen to the maximum available (1600x...).
    5. Start your CCC (Catalyst Control Center).
    6. Go to the resolution settings in CCC and the option to set higher than 1600x... should now be available.
    7. Set the required resolution and then apply and close CCC (note, for some reason 1080i 30 hz was the max available refresh in this config, but since I don't care if it is 1080 interlaced or progressive, or what the refresh rate is (for this transient never-used case) I just select anything reasonable)
    8. Reinsert the HDMI cable and test the system.

Let me know if this works for you.

Robbo100

P.S. I have no idea how I found this solution (since there is no technical sense to it), but I don't like to give up!

Airshark

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2007
    Baden- Württemberg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Windows 7 & half fullscreen

Yeah nice procedure! :) Maybe we can write this tutorial into the wiki pages?
    And yes you are right, my tut is for Catalyst 1 :)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    disaster123 - did it work for you?

If it does, I might ask the thread starter to reference my post (as he did earlier to page 13 being possible fixes)

Robbo100

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    disaster123 - did it work for you?

If it does, I might ask the thread starter to reference my post (as he did earlier to page 13 being possible fixes)

Robbo100

Whatever you want! :)

I bought a HDMI detective, which fixed all my HDMI issues :)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Whatever you want!

I bought a HDMI detective, which fixed all my HDMI issues

:D

Well, if the solution works for others, then it is probably worth it (if you are happy).

Thanks

Robbo100

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    I am sorry to hear that.

What about setting up a profile setting your resolution to 1080i 24hz (while the HDMI is plugged in). Then unplug the HDMI, connect with VNC and then selecting that profile from CCC (selecting yes you can see the screen correctly if you are asked).

Robbo100

wrighta

Portal Member
    July 25, 2006
    West Lothian, Scotland
    Home Country
    I installed the Win7 SP1 update at the weekend and ever since haven't seen the problem. When I switch TV on, MP is full screen now.
    Had hassle with 1.1.3 MP update, but that's another story!!
    :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom