Operating System Windows 7 & half fullscreen (2 Viewers)

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    It is a Windows Bug no MP Bug ;)
    So we can't really present a solution...
    There may be a Windows bug involved, but that can't be the whole story. Other fullscreen applications do not suffer from this. Are you absolutely sure there is nothing you guys are missing and are you sure there is no workaround for it whatsoever?

Incidentally, someone posted a code change recently which provides a workaround, iirc.

Remote Possibility

Portal Member
    March 9, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've yet to build an HTPC but my PC is in the living room anyway. I've got an ATI HD4770 outputting 720x576 via S-video to a CRT at the other end of the room (HDTV will be bought soon I hope) and updating the Catalyst Suite to 12.2 was a disaster!

Not only did it cause the shrunken fullscreen problem, but they have changed the way the system tray menu works. Instead of having immediate access to the presets (and therefore the hotkeys) that I use to switch between the TV and the monitors on my desk, I had to right click it and select Catalyst Control Centre (the only item in the menu) then wait for it to load the proper icon with the usual menu before I could enable the TV.

Suffice it to say I have gone back to 12.1 and MP works properly again. I'll be reading the release notes of any future driver updates very carefully to see if there's any point installing them. I think I'll go Nvidia next time, but also look forward to running MP on a dedicated PC at some point, using a Core i5 with onboard graphics.

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    but they have changed the way the system tray menu works. Instead of having immediate access to the presets (and therefore the hotkeys) that I use to switch between the TV and the monitors on my desk,

What do you mean? The Presets are still there in the System Tray menu (under "Invoke Preset"). In total there are 4 ways to invoke a preset: via Desktop/Startmenu Shortcut, via CCC, via System Tray and via Hotkey.

Remote Possibility

Portal Member
    March 9, 2012
    Home Country
    After installing 12.2, right clicking the Catalyst system tray icon only gave me a menu containing "Catalyst Control Center". I clicked on this and the icon disappeared, then came back about about 30 seconds later and the usual menu was available. Unless I did this every time I started up the PC, the hotkeys didn't work. Maybe there was a setting somewhere that would force it to load fully on Windows startup but I couldn't find it! Either way, 12.2 broke MP so I went back to 12.1 and am sticking with it for now.

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Ah, that's a weird issue then. As it so often happens with the CCC unfortunately ;). Did you try 12.3 yet?

Remote Possibility

Portal Member
    March 9, 2012
    Home Country
    12.3 isn't out yet! :D Maybe I'll leave it a few months before trying again. To be honest, the only reason I have been keeping up with the updates is in the hope they will fix the problems with Control Center window corrupting and presets not working when in Advanced mode. Never mind performance improvements for the latest games, you'd think they would at least try to get their own software to work properly!

redmm

Portal Member
    March 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I have found a solution that seems to work for me.
    Disconnect Hot Plug Detect (HPD) in the HDMI cable (pin 19) and connect it to +5V (pin 18) in the computer end.​
    I just opened the cable and cut HPD and connect to the 5V wire. In my cable HPD was light blue and +5V was red.​
    In DVI Hot Plug Detect is pin 16 and +5V is pin 14.​
    dsc_2735.jpg

.polki

April 4, 2012
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Finally!
    I have been trying to solve this issue for a week or so. I seem to have everything working using the VNC method and the instruction listed in post #366 by rsbrux and with robbo100's instructions for Catalyst Control Center. Am running CCC 12.3 by the way.
    I can turn off the AVR and TV in any order and back on in any order without losing fullscreen in MP.

I am now anxious about breaking it again trying to implement suspend and WOL

Van

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    OK, I have not read all 26 pages of this thread, but I did spend some SERIOUS time on this today and found a solution that worked for me. It is a regedit!!!!

in the reg, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

Under there, I had three subtrees. this is where the control of what to do in certain instances are set. I found that I needed to change ALL entries under all subtrees to match what I wanted my hard coded resoultion to be set to.

under all the subtrees you will keep digging to find the following...
    PrimSurfSize.cx
    PrimSurfSize.cy
    ActiveSize.cx
    ActiveSize.cy

I set the .cx to 1920 and the .cy to 1080. Problem solved for me for now. The PrinSurfSize entries are under a "00" subtree, and the ActiveSize is under a "00" subtree UNDER the 00 subtree.

so you need to look in..
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\xxx\00\00
    ("xxx" gets replaced by what ever entries are under the Configuration tree)

I hope this helps and is not a repost of info someone else put up. like I said, I didn't read the entire 26 pages, but did read a lot of it and did not see this yet.

It has worked for me. going to go to my in-laws house and set his settings tomorrow. keeping my fingers crossed.

I've always been using an HDMI detective to avoid this problem, but it required also an extra HDMI cable. Decided to try the above and it worked just great!

Thanks, and I can remove my HDMI detective from the link now!

robomonkey

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    OK, I have not read all 26 pages of this thread, but I did spend some SERIOUS time on this today and found a solution that worked for me. It is a regedit!!!!

in the reg, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

Under there, I had three subtrees. this is where the control of what to do in certain instances are set. I found that I needed to change ALL entries under all subtrees to match what I wanted my hard coded resoultion to be set to.

under all the subtrees you will keep digging to find the following...
    PrimSurfSize.cx
    PrimSurfSize.cy
    ActiveSize.cx
    ActiveSize.cy

I set the .cx to 1920 and the .cy to 1080. Problem solved for me for now. The PrinSurfSize entries are under a "00" subtree, and the ActiveSize is under a "00" subtree UNDER the 00 subtree.

so you need to look in..
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\xxx\00\00
    ("xxx" gets replaced by what ever entries are under the Configuration tree)

I hope this helps and is not a repost of info someone else put up. like I said, I didn't read the entire 26 pages, but did read a lot of it and did not see this yet.

It has worked for me. going to go to my in-laws house and set his settings tomorrow. keeping my fingers crossed.

I've always been using an HDMI detective to avoid this problem, but it required also an extra HDMI cable. Decided to try the above and it worked just great!

Thanks, and I can remove my HDMI detective from the link now!

This also worked for me, although I had about 10-12 subfolders to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom