Operating System Windows 7 & half fullscreen (5 Viewers)

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    We're still awaiting a central solution - Either Microsoft, ATI/NVIDIA or Mediaportal development team.

I don't think the community in general care who fixes the "but" - Just it works correctly and "Out-of-the-box".

Newest teaser for MePo 1.2 do proclaim better Stability of the product - Unless you use HDMI and Standby.

It's really a hard topic as it seems a combination of Windows7 and Video drivers.
    For what can count, my setup is working fine (did 30 tests just for this thread as I don't use standby daily).
    Hardware involved on the left under "My system".

Simone

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ok, I understand the "workarounds" that have been posted before, and this is not one of them. This fix is completly independent of Win7 OS type, video card, video card drivers, or TV\monitor\projector\Repeater, etc. This is THE fix for this issue from an OS standpoint. The registry entries I posted and what to change in them are what tells Win 7 what to do in different circumstances (for example, when no EDID is present). Basically, MS in its infinite wisdom (HA!) decided to change setting based on different situations for what the hardware is detecting and doing. Basically, under the configuration branch, I saw 3 entries. On my brother in laws system, there was about 12 or so. If you change video cards, you get a new entry under here for that hardware (actually, more than one). Under these entries you will see a 00 entry, and maybe a 01, or 02 as well. This is all in an attempt to be able for the OS to react differently to differences in hardware detected. Why they did it this way, and why they don't have an option to "set globally" your screen resolution we may never know.

From my research on this, this is what is happening...
    You fire up the OS and you are using HDMI. you get it set to 1920x1080. that in turn changes the configuration in the registry for that videocard for the active setting to that resolution. But wait, there are other entries for your video card, one being NOEDID, and it is NOT changed when you changed the resolution. so then you switch to a different source and away from your HTPC running MP. windows detects that it lost the EDID coming from the TV and looks up in the registry what to do and how to handle that situation. Since the NOEDID entry was not changed, the OS then reverts the video setting to what ever is listed there (1024,768 seeems to be common from what I have seen on the 2 systems I have looked at). So since the OS has changed size, MP changes size. But when you switch back, the OS detects an EDID again, so it switches back. this is where MP is lagging becasue it does not always switch back to full screen. So some of us are seeing this because of our setup. If you are running MP in a windowed mode, I don't think this occurs, but I am not sure about that.

I hope this description helps others fully understand what is occurring and why. It would be nice to have a permanent fix either from MS or MP already built in, but I don't know if that will happen.

what would be nice is if when MP fires up, it could detect wether or not there was an active EDID and change those reg keys during startup to the correct settings. maybe a config within MP to set the display size you want to use and have MP enforce those on each startup. Bascially, just enumerate all the settings under configuration and force the settings to be what is in the MP config , or do it from the MP config and enforce them when the MP config is closed.

thanks
    Mike

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Mike,

Hopefully you are on to something here. Now if someone could take a closer look at this it would be great. MP is finally rockstable at my house but this issue just kills the WAF completely :(

Regards
    Jacob

Ok, I understand the "workarounds" that have been posted before, and this is not one of them. This fix is completly independent of Win7 OS type, video card, video card drivers, or TV\monitor\projector\Repeater, etc. This is THE fix for this issue from an OS standpoint. The registry entries I posted and what to change in them are what tells Win 7 what to do in different circumstances (for example, when no EDID is present). Basically, MS in its infinite wisdom (HA!) decided to change setting based on different situations for what the hardware is detecting and doing. Basically, under the configuration branch, I saw 3 entries. On my brother in laws system, there was about 12 or so. If you change video cards, you get a new entry under here for that hardware (actually, more than one). Under these entries you will see a 00 entry, and maybe a 01, or 02 as well. This is all in an attempt to be able for the OS to react differently to differences in hardware detected. Why they did it this way, and why they don't have an option to "set globally" your screen resolution we may never know.

From my research on this, this is what is happening...
    You fire up the OS and you are using HDMI. you get it set to 1920x1080. that in turn changes the configuration in the registry for that videocard for the active setting to that resolution. But wait, there are other entries for your video card, one being NOEDID, and it is NOT changed when you changed the resolution. so then you switch to a different source and away from your HTPC running MP. windows detects that it lost the EDID coming from the TV and looks up in the registry what to do and how to handle that situation. Since the NOEDID entry was not changed, the OS then reverts the video setting to what ever is listed there (1024,768 seeems to be common from what I have seen on the 2 systems I have looked at). So since the OS has changed size, MP changes size. But when you switch back, the OS detects an EDID again, so it switches back. this is where MP is lagging becasue it does not always switch back to full screen. So some of us are seeing this because of our setup. If you are running MP in a windowed mode, I don't think this occurs, but I am not sure about that.

I hope this description helps others fully understand what is occurring and why. It would be nice to have a permanent fix either from MS or MP already built in, but I don't know if that will happen.

what would be nice is if when MP fires up, it could detect wether or not there was an active EDID and change those reg keys during startup to the correct settings. maybe a config within MP to set the display size you want to use and have MP enforce those on each startup. Bascially, just enumerate all the settings under configuration and force the settings to be what is in the MP config , or do it from the MP config and enforce them when the MP config is closed.

thanks
    Mike

Arkard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I didn't want to get to excited, again, but disableing aero is not the worst thing to do...

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I'm with Tourettes side on this!

But what I do not get, is the fact, that the fix for this is NOT planned to be solved within the next couple of MP releases!

The "bug" is grouped into "Future releases".
    0003353: Windows 7 Half & Full Screen problem. - MediaPortal Bugtracker

Why? - The problem is well documented, and 246 posts + other threads(especialy German thread) confirms that this is quite a big issue in general usage of Mepo when you use HDMI!

Hopefully this will be re-priotized to a solution before Final 1.2.0!

/Morten

Hard to tell why they did so when so many people are having these insues including me. Anyways I can't see why MP shouldn't just come up with a dirty fix as ATI/nvidia/Microsoft mostlikely never will fix this.

Please speed up this dirty fix please:D

Improved HDMI audio device performance
    A small percentage of users have reported issues in which the connection between computers running Windows 7 and HDMI audio devices can be lost after system reboots. Updates have been incorporated into SP1 to ensure that connections between Windows 7 computers and HDMI audio devices are consistently maintained.

Yes this works. Now i don't loose the audio connection for that reason, but screen size is still lost. (like confirmed several times)

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Same here. Half size.

Weird thing is. I only bumped into the issue when the connection is as followed: PC > Reciever video/audio > TV
    When I turn off and on the receiver, Half size image is left.

BUT. when the connection are as followed: PC > TV, I have no issue at all. I can turn off TV and back on again. (same goes for receiver :D gheheh ) No effect by it.

Apparently there is a difference from the Win7 point of view.

So, I just got rid of the receiver in between now. It works.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    BUT. when the connection are as followed: PC > TV, I have no issue at all. I can turn off TV and back on again. (same goes for receiver :D gheheh ) No effect by it.

Apparently there is a difference from the Win7 point of view.

Received / amp works as EDID repeater. It will most likely switch to the lower resolution EDID parameters when it loses the HDMI output connected device (tv in this case).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom