Operating System Windows 7 & half fullscreen (3 Viewers)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edterbak
    BUT. when the connection are as followed: PC > TV, I have no issue at all. I can turn off TV and back on again. (same goes for receiver gheheh ) No effect by it.

Apparently there is a difference from the Win7 point of view.
    Received / amp works as EDID repeater. It will most likely switch to the lower resolution EDID parameters when it loses the HDMI output connected device (tv in this case).

Until I managed to find a workaround (that seems to only work for me for some reason :oops:) it was always coincident with the relay clicking noise inside the Amp when it is turned on/off. so I agree with tourettes conclusion.

Robbo100

ced007

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2008
    Haute-Savoie
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,
    I also have this problem since I have changed my video card and updated my PC->TV connection from DVI->HDMI to HDMI->HDMI.
    I fixed it using the "VNC workaround" described in this thread.
    I first tried with the Windows remote connection tool but it doesn't authorize to modify the screen resolution.

DiePlage

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK, I have not read all 26 pages of this thread, but I did spend some SERIOUS time on this today and found a solution that worked for me. It is a regedit!!!!

in the reg, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

Under there, I had three subtrees. this is where the control of what to do in certain instances are set. I found that I needed to change ALL entries under all subtrees to match what I wanted my hard coded resoultion to be set to.

under all the subtrees you will keep digging to find the following...
    PrimSurfSize.cx
    PrimSurfSize.cy
    ActiveSize.cx
    ActiveSize.cy

I set the .cx to 1920 and the .cy to 1080. Problem solved for me for now. The PrinSurfSize entries are under a "00" subtree, and the ActiveSize is under a "00" subtree UNDER the 00 subtree.

so you need to look in..
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\xxx\00\00
    ("xxx" gets replaced by what ever entries are under the Configuration tree)

I hope this helps and is not a repost of info someone else put up. like I said, I didn't read the entire 26 pages, but did read a lot of it and did not see this yet.

It has worked for me. going to go to my in-laws house and set his settings tomorrow. keeping my fingers crossed.

OK, this was a good point to start, thank you!
    Changing the resolution values at the registry keys you mentioned does have an effect. However, the best I can get MP to change to is to 1600(?)x1080.
    I deleted all configuration subtrees under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration and had windows recreate them. I can now tell that windows uses a configuration called SAMXXX whenever my Samsung TV is turned on, a configuration named YAMxxx when TV is turned off but my YAMAHA Receiver is still on and now it gets interesting:
    When both AV-Receiver and TV are turned OFF, Windows uses a configuration called SIMULATED_xxx. Whatever value I enter for horizontal and vertical dimension of this configuration, MP resizes to a "part-fullscreen" with no more than 1600px width.
    I wonder if this is a limitation of the SIMULATED Screen configuration.
    Did anyone find out, where those SIMULATED configurations come from?

BTW:
    While I switched off an on the av-receiver and tv, I was monitoring MP with Teamviewer. Actually I could never see the resolution change from 1920x1080 to something lower in teamviewer. I would have expected to.
    Happy hunting!

DiePlage

Chluz

Portal Member
    April 20, 2011
    I Didn't find the following clearly posted anywhere; sorry if its a repeat of something previously written !

I managed to get mine working using a HD 6450 graphics card connected by HDMI to yamaha RX-V667 and then to samsung C5100.

What I noticed after reading a couple of pages of this thread is that there are actually two problems that people are seeing. The type of problem you get depends on how the amplifier (in my case the yamaha) manages how the signal goes from the htpc to the TV (I think).

- First case : the HTPC does not detect any devices as soon as the TV or amplifier are turned off. The resolution is then changed to the default VGA resolution. This can be corrected through the VNC solution from page 13.

- Second case, and this is what was happening to me : the HTPC still detects the devices even when the TV and HDMI are turned off. Only when the TV is turned back on does the HTPC change its resolution first to low res, and then back up to the set TV resolution,; This is what was happening to me. When I tried do apply the VNC trick from case 1, the resolutions were not changing on my htpc. Then I read some more of this forum, and someone suggested disconnecting the cables. So I went to the back of the HTPC as it was still on with amp and tv off, and whilst connected remotly through VNC, disconnected the HDMI cable, and the resolution changed to low res ! . From there, I could finish the VNC trick by going to ati catalyst and forcing a full HD res. Since then, I have been able to turn my TV on and off, and my amp on and off and to different input as well with the timeshift on, and nothing crashed or resized.

I hope this helps those who are still having problems. Now I need to stop playing with my HTPC, and start revising Conformal transformation methods for solving Complex PDEs. Wish me good luck !

serverhack

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hello to all,

I have a problem similar to these you post. My HTPC is directly connected to my Samsung TV via HDMI cable; when I'm watching a movie the MP screen resizes to a lower resolution until I press a key or move the mouse. While the screen is reduced I can see my desktop in background. I don't have an ATI card but an Intel X4500 in the motherboard.

It seems that it occurs when a time has passed without touching anything, but the result is the same as you are posting, any idea?

Thanks

Shack

Chluz

Portal Member
    April 20, 2011
    Hello to all,

I have a problem similar to these you post. My HTPC is directly connected to my Samsung TV via HDMI cable; when I'm watching a movie the MP screen resizes to a lower resolution until I press a key or move the mouse. While the screen is reduced I can see my desktop in background. I don't have an ATI card but an Intel X4500 in the motherboard.

It seems that it occurs when a time has passed without touching anything, but the result is the same as you are posting, any idea?

Thanks

Shack

Hum... is tehre maybe a screensaver trying to activate after a set number of minutes which then reduces the mediaportal screen ? I can't think of anything else, and the fact that it starts after a set amount of time, and goes away when you move your mouse makes me think of that.

serverhack

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    No, there's no screensaver. I have changed some energy options in the high availability plan and testing...

serverhack

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    No, there's no screensaver. I have changed some energy options in the high availability plan and testing...

So no change, screen at half after some minutes. The time is not exactly the same always, but it's around 30 minutes. The only thing I found out is tha InfoService Plugin refreshes the feeds and Twitter every 20 and 30 minutes repectively, I have disabled it but I think that's not the problem.

Any help?

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom