erikture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    This should work! -> https://msmvps.com/blogs/chrisl/pages/12013.aspx

Registering A Filter
    1. Locate the .AX file in question. Most of the time these are stored in C:\Windows\System32 or in C:\Program Files\\.
    2. Goto Start>>Run>>Type regsvr32.exe "C:\Location\of the\ax file\filter.ax - Then Hit Enter
    3. It should say it succeeded, if not you likely name to change the path so it is correct.

No luck!
    Always the same error message and I am sure I am following the instruction fully.

Could it be something with doing it in Windows 8?
    I have registered dll:s many times in Windows 7 and previous versions of Windows without any problem, but never in Windows 8.

Is the file CLNavX.ax the only file that is needed?
    If so could I copy it to some other computer running Windows 7 and register it there, just for testing?
    I do not whant to install PowerDVD on other computors just for testing.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't know how Win 8 works.
    It should be the only file which is needed.

erikture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I don't know how Win 8 works.
    It should be the only file which is needed.

I copied the CLNavX.ax to a Windows 7 computer and did register with no problem at all.
    It did also show up as a DVD Navigator in the config panel.

Now I know that it is a Windows 8 problem and have to dig into that.

erikture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Now I have finaly succeded installing DVDNavigator on my Windows 8 computor.
    I am very pleased so far with MediaPortal running on a Windows 8.

I only have three things that does not work:
    1. Installing Daemontools succededs, but creating virtual drives fails partly. Daemon tools manage to create them but Daemontools can not recoginize them. They are visible in Explorer but not in Daemon Tools. Virtual Clone drive can create the virtual drive. I have the same problem on one other Windows 8 computor, but on one Daemon Tools works just fine.
    2. When trying to adjust the sound the computer sound is affected, not only the MediaPortal sound setting. The inbuilt sound "gadget" is visible and the sound is changed in the computer setting.
    3. Some DVD:s will not play. I do not know if it is because of the DVDNavigator installation or because that I am running Virtual Clonedrive. On another computor also running Windows 8 but with Daemontools the same DVD runs just fine.

The above problems is on a computor running the MediaPortal client. I have not tried installing the serverpart on Windows 8 jet.
    But mostly everything runs just fine.

/Erik

erikture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Now I have finaly succeded installing DVDNavigator on my Windows 8 computor.

Would be good to let us know if you had to do anything special to achieve this.

Thanks

I did the following:
    1. Registred CLNavX.ax from PowerDVD using regsvr32. As posted before in this thread I had problems doing it.
    I tried version 12, 11 and finally 10. I did succed register PowerDVD version 10.
    Installed preview versions of PowerDVD. Copied the CLNavX.ax to a location outside the installation.

2. I also copied the Video and Audio filter catalogs to a location outside the installation. Then I did register the audio and video codecs using regsvr32. As I am not at home now I do not remember the exact names of those .ax files.
    3. Then I did uninstall PowerDVD as I did not really whant that program.
    4. Restarted the Computer, (only needed on one of the two computers I tested on).

5. Configured the DVDCodec part in MediaPortal Configuration to use PowerDVD as DVD Navigator as well as video and audio codec.

/Erik

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Maybe one time have MP as a Metro App and have it start directly?

Sorry - nonsense ;-)

How is it nonsense?

http://www.srtsolutions.com/why-windows-isvs-should-take-windows-8-metro-very-seriously

MP is HTPC application where no other applications are used (main target is settop box like functionality where you see only one specific UI).

Also if we would be to build Metro (erm, Modern UI) based MP we would have to rewrite major parts of the UI probably. Same goes to many other parts of the MP since there wont be just the APIs available what we are using. Oh, and not a single MP directshow filter will work on the Modern UI based applications: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo.../thread/8f045f59-b03f-4328-a13c-bd90bf9545b1/ Just a minor bump in the road :p So in that sence it is quite non-sense.

Modern UI and HTPC should be combined in totally new software - maybe someone fancies starting a MediaPortal with the Modern UI, new APIs and MediaFoundation? :)

About that article itself - it is containing some false claims.

Modern Apps win
    You have a choice of environments in Windows 8: “Modern” (meaning Metro) and “Desktop”, meaning, well, not modern. If you’re competitors are more modern than you are, they will win.

It wont be the only thing people look in the applications. Writing a bad Modern UI based application is not going to win anything.

Touch First wins
    The Modern interface is a touch first experience. Chris Hoffman is not the first author to mention the phenomena of wanting to use touch on his windows 7 machine after using Metro. It really is compelling. Once your users have a touch-first experience, they will gravitate toward those applications that work for them in the touch environment. If your application is the competitor with a solid touch experience, you can successfully take marketshare from competitors that have not made a touch investment.

Nothing to do with MP running in the living room on TV or video projector as display device. Touch doesn't make sense from the sofa - a separate Modern UI based "remote control application" would benefit the touch.

Desktop applications are not first-class apps
    The Desktop is a Metro app. That means desktop apps do not show up as individual apps in the task bar, or in task switching. They have limited features for sharing, standard metro menus, and more.
    Metro apps will be more fully integrated into the Windows 8 experience than any legacy desktop applications.

This claim has nothing to do with MP. There is simply no need to access other software on HTPC.

Metro Apps have greater market reach
    Windows 8 runs on Intel x86 and i64 processors. It also runs on ARM processors, used on tablet devices where battery life is a key driver. Traditional desktop applications will not install on ARM devices running Windows 8 (exceptions may be made for Office, Windows Explorer, and a few other Microsoft applications. If you want to reach the greatest market, you must create Metro apps.

True, but it would require all directshow related code to be ported to media foundation to allow ARM builds of MP.

About Modern UI and dev PC (or anything other than a device that is used for content creation instead the consumption)... well, I am quite sure that the productivity just goes down hill with the Modern UI. It is great for tablet like touch devices (Windows Phones, tablets...) but it just wont cut on the desktop.

Will I be using Windows 8? Sure, at least I give it a try when I get a licence to test it. There are too many technical improvements under the hood to be ignored :)

Last edited:

Infidelus

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Will I be using Windows 8? Sure, at least I give it a try when I get a licence to test it. There are too many technical improvements under the hood to be ignored :)

There's a free 90 day trial of the Enterprise edition here. You don't need an MSDN subscription to try it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom