1.32 X64 does not detect HD Homerun channels, 1.31 32-bit does (2 Viewers)

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am in the process of moving my media portal installation to a new PC running Windows 11. I open TV-Server configuration go to TV Servers -> My PC and select any of the four ATSC Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Tuners I have on my network. I then press "Scan for Channels" and Media Portal looks like it is scanning the channels, however, it does not find any channels.

If I do the same steps on 1.31 media portal 32-bit, it works without problems and through Media Portal, I am able to watch any channel live, record any channel on a schedule, etc.

I collected the TV Server logs with Media Portal Watchdog, and I am attaching them to this post.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, I'm not finding the page to enter the system specs for this system

Windows 11 22H2
    Ryzen 9 7900X
    Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB
    32GB RAM

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I then press "Scan for Channels" and Media Portal looks like it is scanning the channels, however, it does not find any channels. If I do the same steps on 1.31 media portal 32-bit, it works without problems and through Media Portal
    You mention that MP 1.31 32-bit works correctly, but is this on your new system?

If MP 32-bit works on your old system, and MP 64-bit does not work on your new system, we are comparing apples with oranges, which makes it difficult to draw any conclusions as to the cause of the problem.

Some random thoughts:
    • If this is a new HDHomeRun unit, I believe that there is a setting in the SiliconDust application that needs to be set to "MediaPortal" (it controls the interface in some way; I don't know the details).
    • Have you mistakenly set the network type of your home network to "Public"? For public networks, Windows imposes much more restrictive network access, which may prevent MP using the tuners, even though MP can see the tuners. You should set your network type to private or work (this does not prevent internet access).
    • When you "scan for channels", did you remember to select the correct country and location before scanning? I ask this because I once scanned for channels without first setting those two fields to the settings appropriate for my location. :eek:
    -- from CyberSimian in the UK

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    You mention that MP 1.31 32-bit works correctly, but is this on your new system?

If MP 32-bit works on your old system, and MP 64-bit does not work on your new system, we are comparing apples with oranges, which makes it difficult to draw any conclusions as to the cause of the problem.

Some random thoughts:
    • If this is a new HDHomeRun unit, I believe that there is a setting in the SiliconDust application that needs to be set to "MediaPortal" (it controls the interface in some way; I don't know the details).
    • Have you mistakenly set the network type of your home network to "Public"? For public networks, Windows imposes much more restrictive network access, which may prevent MP using the tuners, even though MP can see the tuners. You should set your network type to private or work (this does not prevent internet access).
    • When you "scan for channels", did you remember to select the correct country and location before scanning? I ask this because I once scanned for channels without first setting those two fields to the settings appropriate for my location. :eek:
    Thanks for your reply and the suggestions.

I have had these HDHomeRun units ever since I started using MePo years ago, so they are not new. All I had to do to get them to show up in MePo was install the HDHomeRun software. There are no settings in the App or the setup program that need to be selected to get this to happen.

At some point, I might get the newer HDHomeRun tuners that have ATSC 3.0 tuners in them if the AC-4 stuff gets worked out, but for now, these are tuners that have worked with MePo for many years.

I'm not at home right now, and I meant to attach the system logs. I will do so later. :confused:

After I noted this issue with X64, I completely uninstalled (with that selection that says "remove everything") 1.32 X64, and installed 1.31 (32-bit version obviously) and the 32-bit version scanned and found the channels without problems. No Apples and oranges here. ;) I really would like to switch to the 64-bit version, but OTA TV is a major use of MePo for us, so if it is not working for some unsolvable reason in X64, I'll have to stick to MePo 32 for now.

There isn't really much of a selection when scanning - other than a selection that amounts to "OTA, cable, and something else" - in MePo. I selected the same things, OTA, of course, in the 32-bit version and that worked properly.

Thanks again for the reply.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    I've got 2 HDHomeruns on my system, running MP 1.32 pre-release 64bit and it's working just fine. Using settings from MP 1.31 32bit on upgrade to prerelease I didn't run a scan, though. Isn't TV Server still compatible with 1.31 32 bit? I haven't updated to 1.32 final 64 yet, and still on Win 10.

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As I understood it the TV Server is still 32 bit without any major changes from the 1.31 version, though there has been some changes including adding Win 11 support, so maybe something has been broken but if the TV Server is the same for both versions why does it not work for x64??? Logs will be helpful.;)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have just tried installing MP 1.32 64-bit on an empty Windows 7 drive image. Windows 7 had been installed from the DVD, and then Windows updates applied, up to 2020-02-20 (the last date on which I ran Windows Update). No other software had been installed.

Sadly, MP 64-bit failed to install:

(1) The first error occurred during the install of MP itself, producing this pop-up:

direct_x_error.jpg

Note that on the installer summary screen, the installer claimed that DirectX 9c redist (June 2010) was already installed.

(2) The next error occurred during the install of MySQL, producing these two pop-ups:

mysql_error_1.jpg mysql_error_2.jpg

After closing the second pop-up, the installation process terminated without installing the remaining items. In particular, TV Server, the TV Plugin, and the LAV filters were not installed.

(3) On reviewing what had been installed, I noticed that MySQL had been installed in the x86 directory. I don't know what this means, possibly:
    • 32-bit MySQL was installed, but it should have been the 64-bit version of MySQL.
    • 64-bit MySQL was installed, but it was installed in the 32-bit folder.

64-bit MP certainly does work for some, but this may depend on what you had already installed on your system. But a first-time install does not work (at least, on Windows 7).

MP uses many different components, and the difficulty of getting them to work together should not be underestimated. You may be able to get the 64-bit install to work by doing manual fiddling, but to be honest I would suggest that you continue to use 32-bit MP for now (MP 1.32), and try 64-bit again in MP 1.33. :(

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    there has been some changes including adding Win 11 support, so maybe something has been broken ;)
    This is not true.
    If you look deeper, you will see that changes (logs for win 11) are not only for server but also for client because, it impact common code.
    And this for both 32 and 64 bits. ;)

Dunnlor

Portal Member
    September 14, 2019
    Virginia
    Home Country
    I’m on a Windows 11 PC and have the same problem where the 64-bit TV server does not find any HDHomeRun stations. I uninstalled the 64-bit version and installed the 32-bit. Station scanning worked correctly using the 32-bit TV server.

My work around was to uninstall all MediaPortal components, install only the 32-bit Dedicated TV-server through the advanced install, and the 64-bit Media Portal client. Given limited testing, everything seems to be working fine.

Windows 11 Pro 23H2
    Ryzen 5 5600G
    32GB RAM

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is not true.
    If you look deeper, you will see that changes (logs for win 11) are not only for server but also for client because, it impact common code.
    And this for both 32 and 64 bits. ;)
    OK thanks for clarifying that, however given we now have 2 reports of the same problem with the x64 but not on the x86 version it does suggest something is amiss!
    @wiyosaya and @Dunnlor we need your debug logs please.

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    As I understood it the TV Server is still 32 bit without any major changes from the 1.31 version, though there has been some changes including adding Win 11 support, so maybe something has been broken but if the TV Server is the same for both versions why does it not work for x64??? Logs will be helpful.;)
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Attached, are the log files with fresh attempts to scan on all four of my tuners (not that scanning on the four tuners was absolutely necessary), finally. :oops:
    I've got 2 HDHomeruns on my system, running MP 1.32 pre-release 64bit and it's working just fine. Using settings from MP 1.31 32bit on upgrade to prerelease I didn't run a scan, though. Isn't TV Server still compatible with 1.31 32 bit? I haven't updated to 1.32 final 64 yet, and still on Win 10.
    What did you use to port the settings? Was it Huha's "Backup Settings" plugin? I was wondering if that would work. I've got several schedules and other configured stuff on the old system that would it would be nice to not have to port them all over manually.

EDIT: I should have stated that the 1.32 X64 was the pre-release version. I will update to the final release. I'm hoping to get everything up and running this weekend, and if the work-around, for now, is to backup the settings from the existing 32 bit version, then import them into the 64-bit version, that should be acceptable.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• MP_Logs_SKYVIEW2_23_11_02_19_27.zip
      149 KB
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom