1.32 X64 does not detect HD Homerun channels, 1.31 32-bit does (3 Viewers)

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've installed your latest x64 TvServer component and it works really well. Also, the installer, which was taking ages, now runs much more quickly - a fraction of the time. Well done! Thanks for that.

I have also applied my own code and that works as well although I can't be sure everything is right until I get the latest code to make sure that I have set up the projects in the same way as yours.

Pablik

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 19, 2010
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    I've installed your latest x64 TvServer component and it works really well. Also, the installer, which was taking ages, now runs much more quickly - a fraction of the time. Well done! Thanks for that.

I have also applied my own code and that works as well although I can't be sure everything is right until I get the latest code to make sure that I have set up the projects in the same way as yours.
    Thanks. You can check the current branch here.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks. You can check the current branch here.
    Thank you for that. I downloaded the code and was able to rebuild the server in x64 mode:).

I did this on my development machine which is now running MediaPortal, client and server, in x64 mode.

I tried installing the server side component on my production machine, but as soon as I pressed Install (for TvServer only) I got an error saying "Cannot write to the registry key". I pressed continue but the deployment tool did not progress. Can't think why the install worked on my development machine but not on the production machine. Both are running under Windows 10 Professional (x64). I couldn't find any MP1 log entries and there was nothing in the windows logs.

Pablik

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 19, 2010
    Home Country
    I tried installing the server side component on my production machine, but as soon as I pressed Install (for TvServer only) I got an error saying "Cannot write to the registry key". I pressed continue but the deployment tool did not progress. Can't think why the install worked on my development machine but not on the production machine. Both are running under Windows 10 Professional (x64). I couldn't find any MP1 log entries and there was nothing in the windows logs.
    Well, I have never encoutered such a error. I presume, the error is thrown by NSIS installation and not the DeployTool itself.
    NSIS creates logging report in the system temp folder during the installation procedure. It may help to find a some clue to your problem.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Well, I have never encoutered such a error. I presume, the error is thrown by NSIS installation and not the DeployTool itself.
    NSIS creates logging report in the system temp folder during the installation procedure. It may help to find a some clue to your problem.
    I'm sorry. I should have been more clear. I was using your deployment tool file

MediaPortalSetup_x64_1.32.000_2024-01-02-16-14.exe

Not the code for the pre-release of 1.33.

I've never seen this error before but it happens every time I try to run this version of the deployment tool on that machine. I assume that the deployment tool is looking for an entry in the Registry that doesn't exist. Sadly, the error message doesn't give any clue as to which registry key it is looking for.

The production release deployment tool for 1.32 didn't have this problem so I'll do a Beyond Compare check to find any differences, and I think there are quite a few, between the two deployment tools code and I'll get back to you if anything obvious stands out.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I've tried to identify what might be happening with the deployment tool without any luck.

My production machine is pretty standard and I've not had any similar issues with previous releases.

I expect it'll be difficult to identify the cause of this problem while there is virtually no useful feedback. The problem for me is that I don't really want to jeopardize the production machine because it services 4 clients.

I guess I should wait until the 1.33 full release comes along. Having said that, if you find a solution, do not hesitate to send me the fix and I'll try it out.

P.S. the error occurs immediately after pressing Install, so I expect this registry issue is fundamental.

Pablik

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 19, 2010
    Home Country
    P.S. the error occurs immediately after pressing Install, so I expect this registry issue is fundamental.
    If the error occurs after pressing the install button, then the error comes from the NSIS installator and not from DeployTool.
    Try to locate NSIS log in the temp folder during the installation. Problem is, that the log file is deleted when the installation is done.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    The Install button I was talking about is attached below.

I guess this is one of the difficulties of remote support;). I don't think NSIS has anything to do with it because I was using the deployment file only.

As it happens, I decided to install the x64 version of TVService on my production machine manually using a .bat file. Having done this, when I tried to use the the latest deployment tool supplied by you, the registry error went away and the installation was successful - although there were a few issues; like the database configuration failed to be updated properly and the client installation being corrupted (even though I chose to install the server component only). I get that this was only a install fix so I am sure that the next release will be fine.

So, I now have both the client and server components working in x64 mode on the production machine:).

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Install.png
      Install.png
      181.6 KB

Pablik

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 19, 2010
    Home Country
    The Install button I was talking about is attached below.

I guess this is one of the difficulties of remote support;). I don't think NSIS has anything to do with it because I was using the deployment file only.

As it happens, I decided to install the x64 version of TVService on my production machine manually using a .bat file. Having done this, when I tried to use the the latest deployment tool supplied by you, the registry error went away and the installation was successful - although there were a few issues; like the database configuration failed to be updated properly and the client installation being corrupted (even though I chose to install the server component only). I get that this was only a install fix so I am sure that the next release will be fine.

So, I now have both the client and server components working in x64 mode on the production machine:).

Thanks for the help.
    I think I found it. There is realy a bug in DeployTool. It actually happens upon uninstalling (before the installation itself ). The DeployTool is trying to delete Uninstall key, but without write request.

Last edited:

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I guess it's probably worth while me explaining why I think I had an issue with the deployment tool.

When 1.32 was released, I was able to install the client component and it was placed in C:\Programs Files\Team MediaPortal\. I found that the deployment tool created folders, MediaPortal and MediaPortal TV Server, in both Programs Files and Programs Files (x86). However, the server component did not install properly so I retained using the server component in C:\Program Files (x86)\.

I wonder whether the issues I had in tha last few days were caused by the two components being split across Programs Files and Programs Files (x86).

I expect that when both components are in Programs Files before running the install program that the deployment tool will have an easier job:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom