512 -> 1024 MB RAM - Any point? (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Got the idea from somwhere inside my head... not Vista.

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Weird, Vista has it and there is some fuss about it on the Net. Maybe you read about it and it was buried in your brain?

In any case, if the OS specificaly doesn't support it, I really really doubt it can work.
    We have the issues of: device being setup for quick removal, being slow and finally the finite number of reads and writes.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Weird, Vista has it and there is some fuss about it on the Net. Maybe you read about it and it was buried in your brain?

In any case, if the OS specificaly doesn't support it, I really really doubt it can work.
    We have the issues of: device being setup for quick removal, being slow and finally the finite number of reads and writes.

Well... I may got a a good head :).....

1. I know it's easy to cange the pagef. directory/drive
    2- I know that USB/SD-memory has low access time... but not great W/R-speed
    3. I thought pagef. was a lot of small files (?)
    4. Changing pagef. to a different drive than the OS disk increases performance
    5. USB/SD-memory is very cheap atm!
    6. no moving parts - no sound!

(7. Im drunk now, so please excuse that my english is even worse than you've seen before - sorry)

I am amazed that this is a Vista-thing if it doesn't increase performance.

(was also thingin about having the timeshifting on a USB - but as long as it is the same dir. as recording, this is not an option)

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    As I said before, most probably Vista uses a different method. Something like a Level 2 page file.

As I said before, these things have limited R/W times, so R/Wing ita few thousands times per day probably means they just have a few months to live.

As I said before USB sticks are terribly slow.

As I haven't said before (be I thought everybody knows), page file is ONE huge file, it just has different sized "internal" files for each process. That doesn't change the fact that physicaly it is one huge file.

And no, I wouldn't put timeshifting on such a stick too.

You can try all those yourself though.

Users who are viewing this thread