[Videos] a solution to codec mess ? (1 Viewer)

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    .. if we some day could switch to Linux, video playback playback would be as easy as in MythTV.
    and/or ..what about using VLC's code for video playback ?

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If you have troubles why not use SAF?
    It's allmost one-click and working perfectly for many users..
    If you want advanced features you can reconfigure it yourself as well..

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    :) - this is not for me, but for a friend whom I recently recommended to check out MP.
    He's first reply was "windows ? - I'm not going back to codec he**" - yet mine works fine I could not really say anything else, that I hope I'll once be compiled for Linux.
    BTW: He's using Mythbuntu - and is mostly happy with it, but MP seems to be better/easier regarding TV - at least it sounded that way to me.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    .. if we some day could switch to Linux, video playback playback would be as easy as in MythTV.
    and/or ..what about using VLC's code for video playback ?
    Yeah because rewriting all the Windows dependant code to run on Linux would be a really good use of time and energy.

:D

I think there is enough work for the developers at the moment without someone taking on the challenge of integrating native codecs (even if they are taken from another application) and then maintaining that portion of the system. It wouldn't just be a case of lifting the code from VLC and dropping it into MP, there would need to be hooks between MP and the codecs, and it's likely they wouldn't be the same as the hooks VLC uses. Perhaps it wouldn't be possible without effectively rewriting them as they may be too tightly integrated with VLC. I wouldn't know, do you? :)

MP already does a pretty good job of using the codecs installed on your system, granted Windows could be better at managing it's codecs, but that's a whole other argument. As 1stdead said, SAF is all you really need.

I'd rather have the cons of a Windows system over the cons of a Linux system personally. No matter what I did, I could never get a completely working system when I tried MythTV. Kernel modules, open source drivers, package installers and dependency hell are not to be sniffed at :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

I have looked at your log files, but as usual they are unintelligible gobbledegook. (I am sure that the original developers who wrote that code know what the log entries mean, but those developers have long since retired from the MP team.) I regret to say that I think that you will have to use the "brute force" method to track down...
    I have looked at your log files, but as usual they are unintelligible gobbledegook. (I am sure that the original developers who...
    Sometimes when displaying the OSD whilst playing a recorded TV show the video freezes and the sound continues for about 30 seconds...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 MP2 - V2.4.1 Resume playback from DE
    Ok, thanks for the User Management tip - I now get what I would expect. Now all I have to do is to figure out how to make Auto Login do what it says on the tin. The only way to make it work is to manually log in each time. Any hints as to what I'm missing with the login system?
    Ok, thanks for the User Management tip - I now get what I would expect. Now all I have to do is to figure out how to make Auto...
    So "Resume playback from" only works when MediaPortal 2 has NOT been turned off, meaning if I shut MediaPortal 2 down, restart it...
    Replies
    Views
    The OP was prior to the current release in Feburary this year of MP 1.33 which resolved a number of installation issues present in MP 1.32 particularly the x64 version and has been very thoroughly tested in a variety of scenarios, none the less it is important to bear in mind that since MP 1.33 x64 now includes an x64 version of the...
    The OP was prior to the current release in Feburary this year of MP 1.33 which resolved a number of installation issues present in...
    I'm surprised. MediaPortal has always been easy to move forward with. Each release building on the last, until x64 that is. Ran...
    Replies
    Views
    That fixed the problem. I just manually installed VC_redist.x64.exe and reinstalled 1.32 64-bit. Thanks for that. A couple of things; the deployment tool for 1.32 doesn't remove the previous version when you're updating from 1.31 to 1.32 and "MediaPortal TV Server" gets installed even when you choose to install the client only. I...
    That fixed the problem. I just manually installed VC_redist.x64.exe and reinstalled 1.32 64-bit. Thanks for that. A couple of...
    I have performed client installations of 1.32 64-Bit on four machines using the central configuration setup on Windows 10 Pro...
    Replies
    Views
    That was it! :) I had to set it to "Maintain display scaling". I think it was set to "Maintain Aspect Ratio", which added black bars to MediaPortal when playing videos that didn't conform to a strict 16:9 ratio, I suppose. Thanks to everyone for the patience and help, I can finally enjoy videos fully.
    That was it! :) I had to set it to "Maintain display scaling". I think it was set to "Maintain Aspect Ratio", which added black...
    I'm running MePo in 1080p to my 4K TV (because my Intel NUC HTPC ain't powerful enough to run in 4K) and for some videos, I see...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom