[Rejected] Add input dialog for shares (1 Viewer)

pünktchen

Portal Pro
October 26, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
As the automatic search can't find any of my network shares, MP2 is unusable for me right now. An input dialog for selfdefining the path should be a basic feature!
Or is it there and i can't find it :confused:

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Unless you physicially setup a network share (Right click folder, Properties, Share Tab, Share Button) there is nothing for it to find.
    You can try the Global shares and it will create the share with the name you assign it as and ask what it is to be used for.

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's the problem: The global shares can not find my physical SMB network shares.
    I know the reason is not a fault of MP2, but a missing possibility to just enter the path.

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry, why?
    As stated above I KNOW it is not a fault of MP that it can not find my shares.
    Windows itself even cannot see my server. ;) I also know the root cause of it but cannot change it,
    because it creates other problems.
    I only think it is a fundamental feature to enter the path yourself!

So thank your for your efforts, but no help is needed. Just a feature request :D

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I will try. My Router doesn't allow Wake On WAN so i forwarded a specific port and let my server wake up by any network request.
    That's why i disabled some windows services which are responsible for network search and identification.
    Otherwise the mediaserver would wake up everytime the main HTPC is online/alive.

Terra

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I also would like to request this feature.

My shares cannot be seen by Windows in the "Network" section but I can access all my shares by directly by inputing the path in explorer \\servername\m$\.
    Adding the shares as mapped network drives also does not work as they do not show up in the MP2 client.

I have the same problem with the MP2 server, it is up and running on the same computer which has the shares but as windows cannot see it in the "Network" the server does not show up and I cannot enter the adress manually.

Right now I cannot do anything with my MP2 test installation...

PS: My test installation is on a virtual machine

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hm, I can understand the point, but this seems to be in both cases something I would call a very particular use case...
    I think we should have a possibility to enter the path manually, but I'm not sure whether this should be done via the MP2 Client - but I don't want to keep any of the others from implementing it for the client as well :D
    Maybe this is a (hopefully) simple first actual use case for my MPAnywhere plugin - which is currently in pre-pre-alpha state and meant to become (inter alia) something like a MP2 configuration tool in the form of a web frontend. This would mean that you can open a webpage with a browser and use this web page as possibility to enter your share path manually. Is this something that would be a solution for you? (No promise as to when I find the time to try this out - I'm currently busy with getting the SQLiteDatabase plugin faster, but after next release of SQLiteDatabase I will be back to MPAnywhere - search for it in the forum and you may get a feeling what I mean. It "works" already, but doesn't have a useful function, yet...)
    Michael

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Any solution would be better than no solution. ;)
    I would also edit the database directly if you know a working tool.
    I've tried SQLiteStudio but most of the table content is shown like it is encrypted.

Edit: i mean the SQLite database not the MS SQLCE one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread