kroko

Portal Pro
February 4, 2007
Itzehoe
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: [Android] Android remote

Hi fnokke & jeng,

yes I need to some chechs to avoid problems. I will add this soon. Anyway I changed the layout a little bit but forgot to change the small layout. So for "small" devices you need to reiinstall (5.2.2011)

Using the router I did following

register a dynamic dns from dyndns.org
setup my router to access dyndns to set the ip
put a port forward to my server using port 8200
I used the standard port, so enable port 8200 TCP on the firewall of the pc
change the ip setting to myname.dyndns.org

You need to use the internet, not the wifi (loopback will not work). Of course you will get the warning "wifi is not available" but on my side it works. I could browse music, pictures and play mp3s.

kroko

jeng

Portal Member
September 30, 2010
Home Country
Luxembourg Luxembourg

Hi fnokke & jeng,

yes I need to some chechs to avoid problems. I will add this soon. Anyway I changed the layout a little bit but forgot to change the small layout. So for "small" devices you need to reiinstall (5.2.2011)

Using the router I did following

register a dynamic dns from dyndns.org
setup my router to access dyndns to set the ip
put a port forward to my server using port 8200
I used the standard port, so enable port 8200 TCP on the firewall of the pc
change the ip setting to myname.dyndns.org

You need to use the internet, not the wifi (loopback will not work). Of course you will get the warning "wifi is not available" but on my side it works. I could browse music, pictures and play mp3s.

kroko
Ok i installed 5.2.2011 and it works! :D
Great job!

kroko

Portal Pro
February 4, 2007
Itzehoe
Home Country
Germany Germany

Hi Thundercats,

in fact that article was my start to begin the remote. Basic feature are implemented. (Music/Pictures/Now Playing). Maybe someone will do a Blue3 skin one day.

But I can not see (may be later) live streaming TV on my Android. I will switch on my 40'' if I want look movies. The biggest advantage I can see is on looking at pictures or MP3s. Even transfer those to my SD to go is a nice option. On top I can access my playlist and add or remove items.

I know some people are looking for "my series, ..." and so on, but as I wrote above... and also my time is limited. Experimental streaming of video exist, quite bad working through the internet. Still I try to improve existing features and add stabilty. One upcoming point is "Weather Plugin" accessing the MP weather service.

See the screenshot..

BTW I started support for android tablet PC too....

So far
kroko

Attachments

• weather.jpg
    weather.jpg
    61.3 KB

el_gato

Portal Pro
October 15, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany

finally tested the option to wake the htpc via lan. nice, it works! :D little suggestions to make: if the htpc is off and i enter the remote software on the phone, i get the message of a "network error" (which seems kind a logical cause the machine sleeps and so on...) but it would be nice to show sth different like "htpc is currently in standby. wake it up? y/n" or sth similar... error sounds like sth is defect ;)

another thing that came into my mind since i hadn't configured my htpc to wake up and then automatically start mp at first to give the remoteapp the ability to start mp like the famous mce-"green button" does if the htpc is on but mp is not actually running...

streaming videos onto the phone works with the ones i tested, great feature! but one thing concerning this i'd like to mention, so if you finished watching the movie in landscapemode and get back to the menu, there aren't all items available... so is it planed to use the remote also in landscape mode later on?

getting better and better, really like the fast progress! thx

kroko

Portal Pro
February 4, 2007
Itzehoe
Home Country
Germany Germany

upcoming skins

we do have now two skins, not 100% yet, but on its way.

dark (inspirement) & blue3 (Thundercats).

see the actual screen shots.

kroko

Attachments

• dark.jpg
    dark.jpg
    50.3 KB
  • blue3.jpg
    blue3.jpg
    114.6 KB
  • blue3_remote.jpg
    blue3_remote.jpg
    128.7 KB

bhengeveld

Portal Pro
December 11, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hello kroko,

first of all. This app rocks. Big Time. I just installed the latest version (4 febr) and I have the impression it works quite a bit faster?

If I may be an arse though:
Would it be (or: is it?) possible to use a different kind of structure for browsing using the artist tab? Right now it goes from Artist -> Songs. You'd make me a an even happier man if 'Albums' could be between that. (Artist -> Album -> Songs) I know I can select an album from the album tab but with some 1700 albums that doesn't work out really well for me. Same goes for artists of which there are a lot of songs in the database. I have about 2200 Frank Zappa songs, which takes quite a while to load.

And being a total dickhead while I'm at it, I have some feature suggestions
* Click-and-play. Making the behaviour of short and long presses different. Something like (in artist or albumtab) Short press opens songs (or albums :D) long press displays options like 'add artist to playlist' or 'now play artist') For songs: short press plays song directly, long press displays options. (like in the actual MP musicbrowser)
* An option for 'tab browsing': when selecting an artist, 'auto go to' the album tab (displaying the relevant albums) -> select an album, 'auto go to' the songs tab (displaying songs in the album)
* left-right swiping to switch between (for instance) remote <-> browser <-> playlist (like switching in the android homescreen)
* A music only option (Music & Radio) So you can choose not to display any video-options whatsoever in the android remote. Personally I don't give a rat's ass about streaming video, or selecting them. I'm no programmer, but I guess that takes up lots of time.

But as I said: really, REALLY great app. I hope you don't mind me spilling my thoughts here :)

kroko

Portal Pro
February 4, 2007
Itzehoe
Home Country
Germany Germany

Hi bhengeveld,

thanks for the flowers. Some of your ideas seems to be quite good. Maybe u noticed I already limited the amount of entries to 1000 or something (artist, albums ) but not if you press a artist for example (you get all). But going to Album first sounds not bad for me. I will do a test with my HTPC in the living room today, how it works out for me.

I also will have a look at the click response like short and long.

Right now I do a lot of layouts. I was missing the part if you flip your device and also for the tab we need a landscape layout as well. I sorted some stabilty issues like not responding if connection is broken. It should be much better now.

Anyhow folks stay tuned for the next release.

kroko

blatho

February 8, 2011
Home Country
Germany Germany

Hi kroko,

I have just installed MediaPortal and noted enthusiastically that there is an Android remote available.
So I start to download and install the good part ... but now I stand, even before I made the first click, in front of a problem.

When I download the documentation, I always get a zip file with many. xml files in it and I have no idea what I should do now to open the document with word.:confused:

Can you maybe give me a hint, please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom