Animation slowing down in time (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I tried a directx benchmark before and after restarting the PC and the result were the same. So I assume it's not a directx thing. I will investigate a bit more the functions involved in animations and try to work out a small benchmark test software.

in SVN there is something that you might find useful for writing the test application:

trunk\Tools\TimerTest

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What I'd like to know is if that bug affects every single user, or only some with specific hardware and/or software configurations?
    Who can tell (with honesty!) that it has its MP running 24/7 for weeks with the animations not slowing down eventually?

Three machines for MP here:
    1. The HTPC (see left): running 24/7: doesn't really get very jerky although performance is getting worse after some days. However the minidisplay plugin gets much more unresponsive (to display the selected items) after I played a video / watched TV.
    2. A TV-Client based on AMD780G which is used daily, always standby-resume, restart only for windows updates: No problems at all.
    3. A powerful intel based (G45) dev-pc with Nvidia 8800/9800 GT. Animations look bad even directly after reboot.

@Chli: any results with my timer test app (e.g. .NET stopwatch becoming inaccurate, timer resolution changing)?

Attachments

• TimerTest.zip
      30.6 KB

tangmonster

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    cape town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Aperture size only selects the amount of normal ram that your screen card can use once it's own memory is all used.
    Since mine is 256mb I doubt that will do the trick. Closing MediaPortal and opening should resolve all memory issues.

Swede

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    West Coast Archipelago
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I had to raise mine, and I have a 256MB Nvidia. I got DX OUTOFMEMORY errors when it was set to 32MB. Now it´s set to 256MB and I have no DX OUTOFMEMORY errors. It's simple to try.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I had to raise mine, and I have a 256MB Nvidia. I got DX OUTOFMEMORY errors when it was set to 32MB. Now it´s set to 256MB and I have no DX OUTOFMEMORY errors. It's simple to try.

I guess even the satellite TV channel logos of many people will sum up to more than 32MB ;)

tangmonster

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    cape town
    Home Country

I guess even the satellite TV channel logos of many people will sum up to more than 32MB ;)

hehe, yes , i've always seen 64mb as a minimum.

Anything above 128mb in my opinion is like adding more HDD space because adding more swap space will make you able to have more programs open in windows. :p

Swede

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    West Coast Archipelago
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Yes, but first you have to run out of the 256 in the card, Or?

hehe, yes , i've always seen 64mb as a minimum.

Anything above 128mb in my opinion is like adding more HDD space because adding more swap space will make you able to have more programs open in windows. :p

That was my thought exactly, before. I've tested more now and I get DX errors when minimizing/restoring in Vista when using less than 128 in AGP Aperture.

Btw, some people are willing to try:
    Hmm, so I raised AGP Aperture size in bios from 32 to 256 and my problems were gone. No more DX errors in the Vista setup. The laptop has no such setting, but works well with the packet texture fix.

Spot on m8- MP is now launching everytime!
    This could possibly apply to ALL AGP cards, so have put a link to here on the usefull posts thread.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/useful-posts-50062/#post341857

Remember changing that setting when I first got my old pc, thought it was strange to be set so low, so changed it to its max, no wonder, i could not see the problem.

Thanks for finding Swede :)

tangmonster

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    cape town
    Home Country
    I will check what my aperture size is when i get home tonight and set it higher.
    It would be very weird if MediaPortal really uses that much ram.
    And why the amount would change over time depending on OS reboot and NOT MediaPortal reload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom