Animation slowing down in time (2 Viewers)

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
@Chli: any results with my timer test app (e.g. .NET stopwatch becoming inaccurate, timer resolution changing)?

Hi rtv,

I evaluated the possibility that a timer problem may be the cause of the animation getting slower and slower and AFAIK it wasn't the case.
A few weeks ago I replaced in DXUtil.cs the QueryPerformanceCounter() by a standard timeGetTime() and even if it's not as accurate (~15ms) it should produce more predictable results since it's less HW dependant. But this did not affect my animations.

I rebooted my PC tonight again for another reason so atm animations are fine, you'll have to wait a couple of days to get results with your test application but my first test let me believe that it's not timer related.

So I was concerned about the Matrix operations or the Render() that would get slower as time goes by.

Could someone confirm the impression I had the other day :

When playing a video and going to the main menu (not the "simple" one) the animations of moving through the list (up and down) seemed smoother than when I was not playing any video. But the resizing animations (when going from a menu to another) seemed still as bad.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When playing a video and going to the main menu (not the "simple" one) the animations of moving through the list (up and down) seemed smoother than when I was not playing any video. But the resizing animations (when going from a menu to another) seemed still as bad.

With "default" settings this is "normal".
    MP itself renders at 25 FPS (to save cpu cycles) while your movie most likely was rendered at 50 FPS. If you increase the GUI FPS to 50 in MP's GUISettings plugin you should not notice big differences.

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland

With "default" settings this is "normal".
    MP itself renders at 25 FPS (to save cpu cycles) while your movie most likely was rendered at 50 FPS. If you increase the GUI FPS to 50 in MP's GUISettings plugin you should not notice big differences.

My MP is set to render 50 FPS all the time ;)

But I think I was seeing a difference when my animations where very slow after two weeks.

tangmonster

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    cape town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I restarted my pc 2 days ago so I am useless for testing until next weekend. I too set my MP for 50FPS , it just looks SO much smoother than the standard 25fps.

mmmmm , did we possibly find something in common?

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Yeap maybe changing the FPS is going to affect the amount of time required for MP to get slower :)

(I still can't believe people don't have that problem at all on some machine...)

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I will check but AFAICR my CPU usage was low even with 50 FPS.

50 FPS MP is using 16 - 17% CPU
    25 FPS MP is using 8 - 9 % CPU

zeflash

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2005
    Home Country
    France France
    I was wondering about something - I use the StreamedMP skin, which has a RSS feed scroller. That means something is animated at all time - maybe this has some impact compared to others.

rtv, do you have the same setup (skin, plugins) on all your machines?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom