Anyone else having issues with MC2XML? (not a Mediaportal issue) (1 Viewer)

Gcarr

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 17, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Starting on Oct 1st, MC2XML quit running for me. It now starts and then instantly silently exits. This happens on all three of my WIN10 PCs. I know there are still at least a few people that use this program for downloading epg data from Schedules Direct and wanted to at least ask if anyone else is seeing this problem and, if so, have they found a workaround? I suspected a recent windows update but rolling back didn't help.

In the meantime, I guess I will see if I can get the Schedules Direct Plugin working, I've never used it so wish me luck lol.

EDIT: Looking around a bit more, I wonder if this situation from 2011 is a possible reason. ( MC2XML Expiry ) It's no longer supported so it's possible that it still had an expiry date that just showed up on Oct 1st. Anyway, I moved on to using EPG123. It's a little weird because it's all geared around Windows Media Center but it will do the job if you can work through the quirks. I did try to get the SchedulesDirect plugin working but I never did get to a point where it was working for me.

By the way, you can still find MC2XML on the Wayback Machine if anyone wants to mess with it. ( Wayback Machine )

Last edited:

blackss69

Portal Member
    October 21, 2017
    Home Country
    I had what appears to me to be the same problem. I corrected the problem by downloading a "update" of mc2xml.exe. I found this on mc2xml. Other good documentation here on parameters. Then I followed procedures to redo mc2xml. (delete mc2xml.dat) and that will rebuild when you run mc2xml.exe from Windows cmd. Make sure you redo your mapping in xmltv plugin. I hope this helps.

I don't know how to tell current version of mc2xml.exe except the length of file was larger on version I downloaded.

Gcarr

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 17, 2014
    Home Country
    I hope this helps.

I don't know how to tell current version of mc2xml.exe except the length of file was larger on version I downloaded.

Man, you saved my butt. It helped a LOT. It's funny cos just a few months ago I emailed the guy to ask him what happened to the website cos I needed a copy of the software again. He pointed me to the link you gave and I downloaded it then. It was version 1.6 dated back in 2016. I see now that he apparently updated the file on the wayback machine back in April. It's now version 1.7.2 and it's working perfectly now.
    I made a stupid mistake 3 or 4 days ago, I did go back to the archive and I could have sworn I downloaded the file that was there. But I was in such a hurry (panic really, lol) that I must have messed up and ended up not actually downloading the newer version. Thanks again for setting me straight!

WedgeCan

Portal Member
    July 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I had been running v.1.7.2 for the last year (+/-), but it stopped working a couple weeks ago. I deleted my mc2xml.dat file and now I get an error during the re-set-up...
    Provider error: 199.232.194.154 124356R 124859H

I'm not sure what's going on. I've been successful with Zap2XML, but I don't like the listings quite as much as with mx2xml.

Gcarr

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 17, 2014
    Home Country
    @WedgeCan I still use it daily with schedules direct, maybe a provider issue?

blackss69

Portal Member
    October 21, 2017
    Home Country
    It is working OK for me. I'm using the same mc2xml.exe to access schedulesdirect.com and get a successful download.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I did try to get the SchedulesDirect plugin working but I never did get to a point where it was working for me.
    I realise that this is a bit late, but I was not aware of the following point when you made your original post:
    • The "Schedules Direct" plugin for MP's "TV Server" works only with the XML form of the downloaded data. It does not understand the JSON form of the downloaded data.
    For the USA and Canada, Schedules Direct provide the EPG in either the XML form or the JSON form. I think that you specify which you want when you setup your account on the Schedules Direct web site.

For other countries in the world, Schedules Direct provide only the JSON form, which cannot be used with the TV Server plugin. So the plugin is in effect only usable by people in the USA or Canada. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Gcarr

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 17, 2014
    Home Country
    @CyberSimian I was the original poster, but my issue was resolved. (The software version I was using had expired, the version available at the link below has had the expiration code removed)

Wedgecan is the one having an issue now and seems to be having a different issue?

The last version is available on The Internet Archive. mc2xml

tarrow

Portal Member
    March 14, 2020
    Home Country
    After tvguide stopped working with epg-buddy, I have been using zap2it.com schedule data via mc2xml.exe and epg-buddy. mc2xml.exe is no longer getting any schedule data from zap2it. zap2it must have changed something. Looks like it may be time for schedules direct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom