ASIO and Crossfading (1 Viewer)

Koudijs

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi kenwonders,

Please try the second playback option in a separate run of the test tool, then the playback speed should be ok.

You can also try the Asio4All driver to check if this makes any difference.
    www.asio4all.com

Regards,
    Jan

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I ran the with-matrix test on it's own and you're right it works at the correct speed. I still got the clicks and pops, and after 5 seconds of playing track 2 it jumped to track 3 by itself. At that point the interface became unresponsive.

-------------------------------
    Starting Up
    Bass Init OK
    Info about ASIO channels found
    Driver=Revo ASIO, Version=1, Inputs=2, Outputs=8
    Starting Playback Type: Mixer with Matrix
    Playback of song: 01 - Into the Rainbow Vein.mp3
    Info about the stream created
    Type=BASS_CTYPE_STREAM_MP3, Frequency=44100, Channels=2, OrigResolution=0
    FadeoutStop of stream -1342177278
    Playback of song: 02 - Chromakey Dreamcoat.mp3
    FadeoutProc of stream -1342177278
    Playback of song: 03 - Satellite Anthem Icarus.mp3
    FadeoutStop of stream -1342177270
    Playback of song: 04 - Peacock Tail.mp3

I'm really not keen on using ASIO4ALL because my card works just fine outside of Mediaportal/BASS using the supplied ASIO drivers.

parody

Portal Member
    April 30, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Had the same problem with slow playback but opening for a seperate run was OK. I heard a couple of pops in No1, and a slight buzzing in No2 but no where near as bad as the release I installed. I had to strain to hear it, however I usually listen to flac so this could just be the inferior quality of MP3 in comparison (I had to encode the tracks again). Logs attached.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Gents,

could you please press the Settings button and try to increase the ASIO buffer size.
    the problems you have seem to be related to the buffer size.
    i've reviewed again my code and can't see problems there.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Gents,

could you please press the Settings button and try to increase the ASIO buffer size.
    the problems you have seem to be related to the buffer size.
    i've reviewed again my code and can't see problems there.

I'd already tried that sadly.

I tell you one thing I just noticed, the volume is noticably louder in Mediportal/BASS than with WinAMP + ASIO. Shoud this be? I would assume in both circumstances the volume should be identical, otherwise the bits have been messed with.

EDIT: I think mine is fixed, it's simply that the volume needs to be set at 75 or it will regularly clip. ASIO is supposed to be bit perfect so I'd like to ask if it's possible to switch off the volume control all together here.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    kenwonders,

great. thanks for digging and finding that out.
    SVN 14789 has Volume Control for ASIO removed.
    Please let me know, if that solves your issue.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Ok I have updated SVN.

Sadly it's not right. I set the volume to zero, ran Mediaportal and selected a track. The standard volume is just too loud, and I'm back with clipping and distortion. The WinAMP ASIO output is much quieter and behaves perfectly in comparison. It's funny because I had perfect ASIO in Mediaportal until recently, with my volume set to 100%.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Hey, any news on this? I'm back with WinAMP for now but am happy to help get this working.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    sorry, i missed your entry.

ok, then i need to set the Volume to 100 and ignore the settings in the config.
    SVN 14815 contains the changes.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Sorry I think I just made you do the wrong thing...

To clear up: It seems that just recently the 'flat/bitperfect' volume for ASIO became '50' on the dial, whereas it used to be '100'. I'm not sure why that changed but I believe it's why people are currently experiencing problems with ASIO sound quality.

To solve that, your first solution was to remove the volume control altogether, but that has left me with way too much volume, as if the volume was set to 100 but now I can't lower it to 50.

If you set the volume to 100, then you may well be continuing to overload the sound. Up to you, I'm willing to check 14815 later on to see if that does solve the issue, but I fear it's going to result in the same bad sound.

Users who are viewing this thread