ATI Radeon and tvout (1 Viewer)

teampirkko

Portal Member
January 10, 2005
Finland
Hi!

Are Ati Radeon 9550(se) or 9600(se) good choises to htpc (and MP)?
I like to connect my htpc to sony 32" tv via S-video.
Later I maybe will use VGA-to-SCART(RGB)!
Should I choose other videocard ? if yes,what?

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
If you've got the choice, you'd rather go for an nVidia card. Definately less problems with stability and drivers.

teampirkko

Portal Member
January 10, 2005
Finland
mPod said:
If you've got the choice, you'd rather go for an nVidia card. Definately less problems with stability and drivers.

What would be good choise? (it should be AGP, passive cooled and cheap)
Does those nvidias support right tv-out resolution(like 720 X 576) for my 32" wide sony?

Can I later use VGA-to-SCART(RGB) adapter?

Best Regards

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I disagree with mpod: Traditionally nVidia's TV-Out is worse than ATI's.

E.G. Germany's IT-magazine "C't" #6 2005 testet 18 GeForce 6600(GT). The best sample achieved only 41% of PAL-conformity _after_ tweaking.. Furthermore the Philips video decoder present on some cards does only accelerate movies with optimized software which isn't available yet. HDTV isn't accelerated at all! :twisted:
    Finally they all get hotter (louder) than compareable ATI cards.

For a freaky gamer in urgent need for shader model 3 support in one specific game there is no alternative to Nvidia but in a HTPC you'll have more fun choosing ATI..

Casper

Portal Member
    October 20, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    teampirkko said:
    Can I later use VGA-to-SCART(RGB) adapter?

Not as "easily" as with an ATI based card. The nvidia cards cannot produce a composite sync signal which a TV needs so you'll have to add some sync-combiner circuitry to get it to work.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Of course, I just meantioned the top-seller for multi-purpose-htpc with the best price performance tag ;)

The Non-Pro should even be a little smaller and therefore better fit into stylish cases..

AllenConquest

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2005
    London, UK
    Does anyone know of a site that compares the Radeon cards and their technical specs. What is the real difference between all the version (Pro,XT,SE) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

I had the same issue and found the executable under C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\Titan\BasicHome.Editor\TitanEditor.exe Only the shortcut was missing.
    I had the same issue and found the executable under C:\ProgramData\Team...
    Hi all, Not a rant, more a sharing of experience (maybe hoping to get some clarification on which wrong turn I took) It has been...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 1.31.0 MediaPortal 1 - 1.31 Released! DE
    If you are having problems with MPAR like MPAR 1.31 no configuration dialog? , re-download and reinstall Mediaportal 1.31 Final.
    If you are having problems with MPAR like MPAR 1.31 no configuration dialog? , re-download and reinstall Mediaportal 1.31 Final.
    We have just released MediaPortal 1.31 Phoenix Highlights of this release Bugfixes: [MP1-5115] - Fix for TMDB / TI_MDB grabbers...
    Replies
    Views
    Greetings, I’m encountering frequent audio dropouts when watching Netflix through OnlineVideos and while playing music. I’m not encountering any problems with over-the-air tv. Netflix video is not affected, just audio. Music plays fine when played outside of MP through Windows Media Player. Netflix plays fine when played outside of...
    Greetings, I’m encountering frequent audio dropouts when watching Netflix through OnlineVideos and while playing music. I’m not...
    Greetings, I’m encountering frequent audio dropouts when watching Netflix through OnlineVideos and while playing music. I’m not...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi catavolt, selling this HTPC does not mean that I will no longer be available to the community as a plugin developer. If there are severe problems with the plugins at the moment, I can try to analyze causes and find possible solutions. However, this will currently only have low priority, as I am responsible for employees and...
    Hi catavolt, selling this HTPC does not mean that I will no longer be available to the community as a plugin developer. If there...
    After many years as a MediaPortal supporter and plugin developer I will now have to say goodbye to my beloved HTPC for personal...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 MP2 - V2.4 Some ideas and questions? DE
    Hi, must be really a while, cuz I can not remember any post from you ;) But might be also that I joined the team too late. Yes, there will be many things. Main reason is simply, that MP2 is not developed based on MP1. I for example never used MP1. I tried it lately to test voice control and was shocked about many inconsistancies in...
    Hi, must be really a while, cuz I can not remember any post from you ;) But might be also that I joined the team too late. Yes...
    It´s been a while... :) Well, simply the reason is cause MP1 was working so well... :) Now I decided to upgrade my old servers and...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom