Available features in MP2? | Page 6

Discussion in 'General' started by ajs, February 9, 2015.

1. wizard123
    • Team MediaPortal

wizard123 Design Group

genius
    Ratings:
    +2,919 / 11
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It have been discussed over and over again internally A LOT trust me but ultimately most MP1 devs want to stay with MP1 and nobody can force them to do otherwise as everyone is free to work on whatever they like.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. aspik
    • Team MediaPortal

aspik Development Group

Ratings:
    +587 / 1
    Thanks for the Info, good to know that you after all discussed the topic internally! I already wrote, that I understand the idea of open source, but comparing to other projects it looks here like MP would split in two separate projects, which is sad...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Lehmden
    • Premium Supporter

Lehmden Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +3,618 / 28
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Hi.
    Instead of backing up a single file you need to backup lots of files, only to achieve the same. There already is a comfortable and pretty well working solution for backing up and restore the database. Meshed up your DB, no problem. It's fixed in one second... On MP1 you've got tons of DB's splattered all over the clients. And you need a full blown Database- Backend only to store a few tables for TV... That really is something I would call "bad design". The "point of no return" regarding MP1 software design is past a long time ago, so imho there is no sense in "riding the dead horse" any longer. And in some days there will be an option to do backups automatically during system startup so you even don't need to think about this any more... I know this will be ready in some days as right atm I'm developing this...;)

indeed this is sad.

5. 2BitSculptor
    • Team MediaPortal

2BitSculptor Super Moderator

Sculptor - Maquettes, Resin Figure Model Kits, Toy
    Ratings:
    +396 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    She is a "no-frills" gall .... doesn't care for the all graphical interfaces, she is straightforward and doesn't appreciate the "dazzle"., As I mentioned earlier, I'd like to see an aMPed type skin (preferably looking EXACTLY like aMPed) She has a "just get it started" mentality ... she needs to be able to read without having to associate, and all the icons and cover flow and film strip layouts don't get her there in as few steps as necessary. She doesn't care if it is MP1 or MP2. She is a production scheduler for a soft-drink bottling company, and understands getting from point A to point B to point C as effectively as possible.

Last edited: February 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  6. ajs
    • Team MediaPortal

ajs Development Group

IT
    Ratings:
    +4,652 / 30
    Home Country:
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Show System Specs
    In fact, no matter how many databases. MP1 and MP2 in two radically different approaches. MP1 is just a single application. MP2 is a client-server. And customers do not care how many databases on the server. I do not see much difference, 100 tables in the same database, or 100 databases. The speed and ease of use are the same here. It all depends on the database engine.[DOUBLEPOST=1423580512][/DOUBLEPOST]Just tried all skins in the delivery of MP, and all themes in the skins. A lot of body movements need to get somewhere. None of the simplicity for which I love MP1.

7. ajs
    • Team MediaPortal

ajs Development Group

IT
    Ratings:
    +4,652 / 30
    Home Country:
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Show System Specs
    I tried to make MP1 database server. Even worked. But not all plugins provide normal work in multiplayer mode. Or block the database for a long time, or if there is, the lock falling. If not for that, I would have already moved on to a single database on a server in MP1.[DOUBLEPOST=1423581704][/DOUBLEPOST]Skins, grabbers and pictures I had on the server and all computers carry them out.

8. Sh4nn0w
    • Premium Supporter

Sh4nn0w MP Donator

Telecommunications
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Certainly an interesting discussion... :)

From my perspective my needs as a user have changed over time, the geek in me is happy to try out new builds, tweak away and work around bugs, but since I now have 2 young children, more demanding job my free time is far more limited than it used to be.

I think that having both MP1 & MP2 is the best approach. Its great users have the choice, when I first started using MP, I had tried XMBC, MythTV & Media Center and none of them worked how I wanted them to, MP was the only product at the time that came close.

But for my wife, just changing skins is a major issue, let alone me changing to a new system, this is were MP1 comes in, she can use that with no involvement from me. I'm fine with fiddling away to get MP2 running the way I want, but to introduce a big change on our main HTPC, I have to be sure it will work similar to MP1, ie I use TVSeries and Moving Pictures mostly. From what I understand MP2 is nearly there, but not quite yet. So in my mind, MP1 meets my needs now, but I'll switch over to MP2 once I'm happy with it.

Anyway since its more than a year since I tried out MP2, this thread has inspired me to take it for another spin...when I get some free time :D

Keep up the great work!

Last edited: February 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!