Best DVB-S CI ? (1 Viewer)

djoole

Portal Member
October 29, 2005
Nice topic. Quite interesting because having a Skystar 1 CI (same as TwinhanDTV Sat-CI) not working with MP, i'm planning to buy a DVB-S CI full compatible with MP.

FireDTV would be the very last choice because i don't have firewire port on my HTPC (Asus P4GD1 mobo).

I've seen that both KNC One TV-Station DVB-S and Terratec Cinergy 1200 DVB-S are identical (like my SS1-CI and the DTV SAT-CI and the Nexus-S-CI are) and equiped with a seperated CI.
These 2 cards are in the "natively supported cards" list
Do they work with original drivers or BDA drivers? Asking this cause i read from dman_lfc that BDA doesn't support well DiSEqC.

What can you tell about these cards? Any testimony from MP users?
I won't buy any more DVB-S card without knowing fore sure it will work with MP.

rosco99

Portal Member
May 10, 2005
MossVale, NSW, Australia
djoole said:
Nice topic. Quite interesting because having a Skystar 1 CI (same as TwinhanDTV Sat-CI) not working with MP, i'm planning to buy a DVB-S CI full compatible with MP.
I have an Hauppage Win TV-S with a CI card. It is not expensive ($99Aust + $50 for CAM) It is compatible with Media portal. I can receive all available FTA shows. My problem is that it does not receive data from my subscription card so I can not decipher the scrambled shows that it has tuned.

rolfkunst

Portal Member
October 25, 2005
Netherlands
rosco99 said:
djoole said:
I have an Hauppage Win TV-S with a CI card. It is not expensive ($99Aust + $50 for CAM) It is compatible with Media portal. I can receive all available FTA shows. My problem is that it does not receive data from my subscription card so I can not decipher the scrambled shows that it has tuned.

I have the same problem with my Hauppauge WinTV Nova CI, card works fine, but only FTA channels, now as i live in the Netherlands, we only have one FTA channel, named BVN-TV. I still watch tv with the original Asscom Receiver (very crappy thing).

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Although Mediaportal supports many DVB-S cards
    only 2 DVB-S cards + CI are supported

These are:
    1. The firedtv dvb-s +ci
    2. The twinhan pci dvb-s + ci

Reason for this is that these are the only two cards for which we know how the CI interface works. All other manufacturers consider this a secret and only give away documentation under non-disclosure.
    Being an opensource project, there is no way we can sign a non-disclosure agreement :-(

So we add support for any card which has an CI interface, but only
    if we receive the documentation and/or sample code on how to do this.

Frodo

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    djoole said:
    Hi Frodo,
    Isthis twinhan card the one you're talking about?

I would like to be sure before buying it :)
    this is the card
    http://www.twinhan.com/product_satellite_5.asp

you need to use the BDA Drivers to get it working with media portal.

but you shouldnt expect a flawless working solution. its still under developement.
    i own this card and i still have too much problems with it to use it for watching or recording paytv.

many things were changed in MyTV and frodo has been working on the CI support.
    i will test it again when the new TS engine and filter is back in the CVS.

btw. you must also buy a CAM to use your smardcard. the alphacrypt cams are working with it.

Users who are viewing this thread