BlueTwo reskinned for 1280x720 (mp .2.0.4) (1 Viewer)

Boilermaker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2004
    it's been discussed a couple of times in this thread, but since the thread is getting long i'll summarize. Converting the existing xml to 1366x768 (or most any other widescreen format) wouldn't take very long, a few hours work. Somebody would have to redo the graphics to keep them from looking stretched, and that's time consuming. If anybody ever wanted to do the graphics and maintain the skin, i would help with the xml. But i don't really have the time to do and maintain another skin.

If you can send me a screenshot of your teletext screen, i'll see what i can do about making teletext better for you. I don't have a teletext available to me, but but with a screenshot i can probably take a few guesses. Hopefully it will help with the WAF.

Also yet another update will be made tonight on both the svn and normal versions. I've fixed some alignment issues with checkmarks. Nothing spectacular, just a minor annoyance.

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
    May 13, 2005
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

cPH

Portal Member
    February 11, 2006
    Linz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Teletext on wide screen just doesn't work verry well. The letters are to fare appart and the bottem from letters dissapears.
    I posted it on the testteam site:

[...]

It isn't a skinning issue.

wortelsoft,

Thanks for your information. Maybe you can update your broken links.
    I hope it won't take us too long waiting for this issue being finally fixed.

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    This may be the wrong thread.

But I cant help but thinking that there must be some "low level engine adjustements" that will let the skin designers focus on making.... Good skins, while not thinking too much about screen res?

It sounds like a waste of the valuable designer time to maintain both a 1280x720 and a 1366x768 skin? Artwork should be made in very high-resolution PSD files, then downsampled to the actual resolution just-in-time? What about shipping SVG vector files, then rendering them as PNG just before the rendering engine kicks in?

Then designers could focus on artwork, relative object placement (in percent in stead og pixels), font size etc.

I am sure that "handtweaking" is necessary to get optimal results (because small icons look better when hand painted at the right resolution rather than some downsize algo), and because sharpness vs objectsize changes as one goes from VG to 1080p resolution. But anyways....

Also, som kind of "fallback" could be beneficial. Since it seems that the current engine does not allow the different skins to be very different on a functional level, it would be practical to fallback to BlueTwo for newly implemented functions keeping functionality in every case, then when the selected skin is updated, the looks would be consistant?

regards
    Knut

cPH

Portal Member
    February 11, 2006
    Linz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    This may be the wrong thread.
    We are gradually becoming off topic. What about moving this discussion to a separate thread?

It sounds like a waste of the valuable designer time to maintain both a 1280x720 and a 1366x768 skin? Artwork should be made in very high-resolution PSD files, then downsampled to the actual resolution just-in-time? What about shipping SVG vector files, then rendering them as PNG just before the rendering engine kicks in?
    Sounds fine!

Also, som kind of "fallback" could be beneficial. Since it seems that the current engine does not allow the different skins to be very different on a functional level, it would be practical to fallback to BlueTwo for newly implemented functions keeping functionality in every case, then when the selected skin is updated, the looks would be consistant?

I'd disagree with you in that point. In my opinion each supported skin has to be part of the SVN repository. Consequentely, the up to date skins could be shipped with each nightly SVN build. This should make maintenance easier in test systems. Anyway, this applies to all skins.

Boilermaker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2004
    Both the regular and SVN versions of the skin updated. Changes:
    • Added Netflix Manager plugin
    • Added CD Slayer v.5 (however i had a problem of getting this to work in anything other than an svn version of MP)
    • fixed problem with my poker plugin/card images will now be displayed
    The main repository and svn should take about a day to catch up to the changes.

Ulan

Portal Member
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi Boilermaker,

Thanks for the nice wide-screen skin!
    Is there any chance to get a wide-screen version for the MyDVDs plugin?
    There are three xml files that might need to be changed. Please let me know, if you have the time....

Thanks in advance,

Ulan

Boilermaker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2004
    This variation of the skin is no longer being maintained. The last version released (for mp .2.0.4) is probably unusable with the current version of mp. So i'm assuming you mean the Blue Two wide skin that comes with the MP installer. Usually, plugin authors provide a skin files for the default skins, so you may want to contact him/her.

The Blue two wide skin is now being maintained by (other members of) the design team. Mods, please lock this thread; maybe that will help avoid any further confusion. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread