Call for tester for 1.4.0 features and fixes (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunoh

Portal Pro
August 8, 2004
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I also see the black screen for some seconds, but it takes only a few seconds all together to start with ssd, so the short black screen does not disturb too much.

I tested this version mainly because of asrock instantboot and it works fine here.
After a shutdown, the os is freshly started and autostart of mediaportal fully works before the system goes into hibernation.
MP is then ready to get used within a few seconds.

Thanks

Bruno

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are all the changes in a GIT branch, so I can test in conjunction with other stuff? The reason I ask is because the
    Yes, other stuff (like configuration options) are not yet part of this build and has not been pushed to GIT. All other differences come from master itself.

Last edited:

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When i start mp, everything seems normal, i get the splashscreen with all the loading messeges. After 13seconds however my screen goes black and i only see my cursor. After 10 more seconds im on mp homescreen and can use mp normaly. I attached a log.
    Thanks for the logs. I see what's happening in your system.

Can you give the attached MediaPortal.exe a try if it looks better on your system? Just copy it over the one from Build 12.

It basically "prevents" MP from overlapping the splashscreen. The splashscreen has alwaysOnTop set in its form. But somehow this is not working on all systems.

Do you have alwaysOnTop configured in MP itself? That could be an explanation.

We need to find the sweet spot here on systems with longer start-up times because of the work plugins are doing.

Root Cause is: the splashscreen is a separate form started in its own thread. There's already Mantis to move it to D3D and moving it to the MP thread.

EDIT: Remove Upload as Build 13 is uploaded.

Last edited:

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah that fixed it, now the black screen is there just a brief moment, dont know, a few frames or something like that. Startup time stays at ~23seconds.
    Yes i have always on top enabled.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks that clears things up.

Will get a six pack from the next liquor store and upload build 13 that includes this fix afterwards. Only change: include the above binary. Afterwards I work on the configuration options.

Regarding the startup time: cannot do much more here. If I go for more threading, we will have problems with a lot of plugins. But startup times of plugins are now logged (at the moment only for Debug).

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Uploaded Build 13, that fixes the startup sequence to avoid a black screen during plugin starting when always on top is used. I just moved it instead of temporarily disabling always on top. Startup feels a bit slower because of this with systems that have nearly no plugins installed. Went for quick and dirty here to avoid regressions.

Testing: same as before. Report anything that doesn't work properly compared to 1.3.0 final and of course anything HDMI/Standby/Hibernate/Resume related issues.

See known issues in 1st post, for what does not need to be reported.

PS: Change also pushed to GIT. GIT is always in line with the published build.

Last edited:

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah, just a little teasing showing that he was eagerly awaiting a new build for testing.

Now waiting for the feedback how the current build is working out for him! :p

Also remember I have mainly the weekend for coding. And still do not have a decent Internet connection. Everything is going over my Vodafone data plan (man, this will be horrible huge bill this month. 200+ EUR only for additional 5 GB data packages - so much for flat rates. They cap out at 15 GB)

Didn't know how hard it is to get a decent high speed internet connection is in Germany (Berlin in my case). Every provider tells you he can. But then after two weeks you get a letter that they cannot. Been through cable, then VDSL and now ADSL. They just have shitty databases not showing what the actual buildings can do at the street address. There is just some head-end on the street that's all they have in their databases. This sucks.

LTE? No option, signal not strong enough (could compensate with a 2m 15db antenna though). But a 15GB cap? That just means I max out faster than over HDSPA in my 3G plan. Offer me at least 100GB per month over LTE and though in a 64GB iPad for free and we make a deal, and friends sending me large stuff over USB sticks by snail mail. I could live with this for a the rest of the year before I move on to the next contract.

Guess I'll buy some wireless USB sticks and hacking the avialable WLANs. At home no one uses one time passwords, so I can jump on every session by packet injection as soon as their cell phone connects to their WLAN router at home.

Have no other choice. Bundle a couple of them and I have decent speed.

Last edited:

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Guess I'll buy some wireless USB sticks and hacking the avialable WLANs. At home no one uses one time passwords, so I can jump on every session by packet injection as soon as their cell phone connects to their WLAN router at home.

Have no other choice. Bundle a couple of them and I have decent speed.

Any chance of adding that to mediaportal aswell? ;D

l337

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    good morning
    quickly test :)
    I am just running the build, CPU utilization is the same as in original 1.3 final (5 - 7%)

all my plugins work
    tomorrow I just look for the mediaportal log files

Scythe42
    you have a lot of internet traffic, and much more cost-
    how long are you staying in berlin?
    you have WEP or Wlans Telekom hotspot near?, then I have a good idea :cautious: ;)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom