Calling all users: Do you use MyTV in MediaPortal? (1 Viewer)

Do you use MyTV in MediaPortal?

• No, I don't.

Votes: 158 12.4%
  • Yes, the one that comes along with 0.2.2.0.

Votes: 684 53.9%
  • Yes, TV-Server (Single Seat).

Votes: 191 15.0%
  • Yes, TV-Server (Multi Seat).

Votes: 211 16.6%
  • Yes, but I don't know which Engine I use.

Votes: 26 2.0%

• Total voters

ophois

Portal Member
January 4, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'd really like to use the TVServer engine but until the red-eye serial IRDA blaster is supported there's no way I can.

It's all telewest/virgin media UKs fault. They chose to use a box with an IRDA remote instead of IR so no normall blaster works.

The MYTV plugin in 2.2.0 has redeye support but theres none in TVServer :( and when I asked about it no one responded.

marshall

Portal Pro
February 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Voted 2.2.0, but I have used the single seat TV-server. It had a few small issues that were being worked on (and I believe have been fixed since) that made it a bit unstable on my system. When it crashed and we missed 2 minutes of The Office (hardly anything) my wife told me to quit playing with the TV and change it back to how it was working before. It did have some nice features though, and I look forward to trying it again soon.

Thanks devs for all your hard work!

fab70

Portal Member
February 11, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
I tried tv-server (single seat).. it works but there are still some bugs.
Look forward for a stable version.
Great job!

walsco

February 1, 2007
The last 4-6 SVN:s have been very stable and also the TVEngine3, before that I had all kind of problems and installed Vista Ultimate Edition, took me a day to realise that MP was a better choice, now back with XP and MP with a smile on my face. Using the multi CI features and looking at more than one channel with only one CI. Great job! The WAF is now 100%, I get the feeling that WAF is a digital number, it can only be 0 or 100%?

What would be nice:
- A plugin to Internet Explorer to view TV and edit the EPG oven port 80
- Make it easier to use comskip or eq.
- Make it easier to use scheduled compression (Divx/XVid)

Single server streaming to 3 computers
Sempron 1200MHz, 512MB, MS DBE, Wireless NIC, FireDTV-T with latest firmware and drivers, from 2 days ago.

Marco9000

Portal Member
August 1, 2005
I'm using the latest stable release just because I don't want to mess anything up.
I've wasted a large amount of WAF in my endeavours which is hard to repair.

To comment some of the posts I read earlier in the thread.

I only use mediaportal to record and watch recorded TV.
I would like to use it more but I've had a working solution before Mediaportal that my spouse understands how to use and until I get it all transparent enough I probably won't change stuff.
Another thing is the video quality, I've never gotten it on par with the TV (using my PVR-500 MCE from Hauppage).
This is probable due to the fact that I use a VGA-connection to the TV which disables all filters. Using DVI-HDMI could work better but I use my DVD with HDMI and there is a lot of overscan in the TV which in turn requires me to zoom out the picture (pixel perfect anyone?).

I currently have no use of the features the TVE3 supplies but I can see myself putting the server in the closet on a mini-itx board (if it has juice enough to run the stuff) and using the current HTPC as a client.
I'm going to purchase one or more Fire/DTV which will enable me to record several channels on the same MUX and watch/record channels digitally. For the recording I need the new TVE and I hope the image quality will increase when i move to digital TV.

KvB

Portal Member
March 10, 2007
I recently tried to switch from MCE to Media Portal and installed it on a seperate harddisk with a fresh xp install. After following the tv server tutorials it seemed to have set up perfectly, but now when I try to watch TV it doesn't work... see my post here:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tv_server_finding_channels_but_not_showing-t20453.htm

So basically I voted 2.2.0 engine, cause the tv server didn't work for me at all. Besides, I really need my tv engine to be able to wake up the machine out of S3 for a scheduled recording.

Tinkering around with 2.2.0 didn't really motivate me though to completely switch over from mce to MP, since its tv engine is slower. But since I'm a big fan of this project (been following it since the first set of releases that didn't even have tv support), I'll keep trying to make a reliable and stable system. Hope the TV server will work in the future, cause it sounds really promising.

Bottom line: please let the tv server work including S3 wakeup! :)

SmokeWatcher

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Home Country
    I'm not using the MyTV engine. I use BeyondTV for television viewing/recording and use MediaPortal as a front-end and for movie and DVD storage/playback.

pshdo

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2005
    Holbaek, Denmark
    We use MyTV for timeshifting only.....

We record programs from our 3 build in tv-tuners and wiew the recordings whenever we like.....
    - and for that the standard MyTV is really fine.....

I have tried the TV-server, and it is really fine, the only problem that i had, and why i´d decided to uninstall the tv-server again, was that i can´t use the same plugins for the tv-server as i can use on the build in MyTV.....

I use my hauppauge IB-blaster to control my sattelite reciver, and that didn´t work on the tv-server.....
    - it looked like the options for channel-shifting settopboxes was missing all together in the TV-Server....

But if i could use the exactly the same plugins in tv-server, or if the sameplugins was avalible, i would use tv-server instead of the build in MyTV i think, as TV-Server can run as a service in the background......

--
    Peter

bluedragon

Portal Member
    February 25, 2007
    Home Country
    I've tried it but there were several small problems which have been mentioned in this thread already and one that I didn't see, for whatever reason my USB-UIRT won't work correctly (not that this is specific to myTV), but it works perfectly with BeyondTV so for now I'm stuck with it. I am really looking forward to a more "complete" version of the Tv engine that is equal to or better than BeyondTV.

Still love MP though!

:D

_patrikSE

Portal Member
    September 2, 2006
    I use TV3 single-seat right now, update svn every other week. but right now use the MyTv much because of problem with my ATI Wonder card.
    Will use the multi-seat soon, when I have bougth a new htcp computer.

The idea of the TV-server architecture is wonderful and I see greate potential for it.

A few things I would like to press that is important for me:

* Web front (MPW) for the TV-Server (Because what I have understood it isn't supported right now? am I wrong?)
    * PiP support
    * Optimize channel shifting

Then for the future.. ah, here is why I love it and for some technical questions also.

* HDTV (h264 and more) streaming. Not only to be able to stream just TV but also video files. And here I would like someone to awnser if it is only me or if this would be possible: 1080p (blueray/hd-dvd) needs a bit more CPU to decode to be able to show, is it the process to show the 1080p over dvi/hdmi that needs the most CPU or is it the process of decoding the data files?

Because my tought is that I have a small computer (priced around $500) with no fans as my client HTPC computer. This has no chans to decode a 1080p movie because of the lack of a powerful CPU. But it has support for HDMI, will I be able to run the TV-Server as also "decoding-server" and stream the screen (as streaming TV hd) today? and then let the TV-Server have the powerful CPU and make alot of noice? Am I completely wrong about this future idea?

a bit tired so my toughts might have been a bit compfused, but I hope the full idea is a bit clear. :)

thank you for a extreemly goot HTPC application anyway. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom