Calling all users: Do you use MyTV in MediaPortal? (1 Viewer)

Do you use MyTV in MediaPortal?

• No, I don't.

Votes: 158 12.4%
  • Yes, the one that comes along with 0.2.2.0.

Votes: 684 53.9%
  • Yes, TV-Server (Single Seat).

Votes: 191 15.0%
  • Yes, TV-Server (Multi Seat).

Votes: 211 16.6%
  • Yes, but I don't know which Engine I use.

Votes: 26 2.0%

• Total voters

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    but the only downside, which i believe will change, is the complicated setup, involving mutiple exe installs.

This may be fine on a multi seat setup, but for a single seat needs to be refined so that everything is automated as one install. I know i am jumping the gun and trying to see the Future, but for the average potential user we need to go simple.
    indeed!

we know that and its being worked on :)

f0rmula

Portal Pro
    January 25, 2006
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    and a other one who thinks client/server architekture is required/the only pro :confused:

thats why i did a very quick (and not complete)
    TV-Engines comparison
    -->>here<<--

I don't really know what else tvengine3 provides either, other than multiseat, which is why I use it.
    Most of the documentation seems to emphasize the client/server feature. I've not really read anything that specifically expands on other features provided.
    Could you point me at some info please?
    if i can point you to it? :mad:

you did not had a look at the comparison i linked to in that post uh?

You can have a :mad: of your very own for that.. ;)

(Check the posts following my initial one)

(BTW, just for that you're excluded from the group hug)

:D

James

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I voted 0.2.2 but would use TVEngine3 if it supported use on secondary monitor.

I currently use dhannema's exe file to send MP to the projector but it's only available for 0.2.2.0.

Pando

Portal Member
    June 28, 2006
    I feel for the Media portal developers , after reading some of these replies. Media Portal is at the cutting edge of HTPC software not only with the TV engine , but with other strong attribute such as voice recognition & voice response . Yes it did take a few attempts to get the TV engine running but its worth it.(The vids are great !) We should all try new opportunities within Media Portal and report back problems, that way , just as with a good wine Media portal will just get better and better . Well done to all the developers out there no mater what you are working on…. Keep up the great work ! Pando

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    TVE3 rocks!...

pro:
    works perfectly with technotrend cards and CI
    no need heavy gui to works
    client server achitecture
    in single seat have fast change channel time

first needing:
    POWERSCHEDULER(all the thing about power managment...... without this is impossible to make a good PVR

and some other little things:
    better suppport to MHW EPG for all conuntries/providers
    support to different audio streams and subtitles
    better support for channel scanning/naming/managing

that is the right way, good work men !

:)

gamackey1337

March 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    TV Server Multi-Seat

I use a multi-seat setup with SQL Server 2005 Standard running on a dedicated server with Windows Server 2003, as well as the TV card (and future cards when I get them) in another PC running Windows XP and acting as the TV server. My HTPC connects as a client over a gigabit LAN.

After trying out SageTV, BeyondTV, GB-PVR, and XPortal, I couldn't be any happier than I am with MediaPortal. First of all, it just worked so well after some basic configuration, which was amazing after using GB-PVR and XPortal. It plays all my files natively (mkv, ogm, flac, H.264, etc.) and I love the fact that there's the client-server TV approach, even if just in beta. I *might* have used MythTV, but I have tried so many times to give Linux (Gentoo, Fedora, and others) a chance and keep on deciding that I can't use Linux for anything (buggy/slow/unsupported drivers being the main reason...I can't use whatever hardware I want and know it will work perfectly). Plus, all my other computers are Windows computers and the MythTV Windows client is absolutely terrible.

What you guys have put together with MediaPortal is incredibly awesome. I can't emphasize enough just how much I appreciate the work put into this product. It was infinitely easier to set up and get working compared to XPortal, the only other software I found that was flexible enough where it might have been able to do everything I wanted. Also, the GUI's of GB-PVR and SageTV were too slow in my opinion. Plus, the skins available for MediaPortal are top-notch, unlike most of the others. Anyway, MediaPortal has made configuring my HTPC a fun experience and I am very satisfied with what the product can do so far. I look forward to further optimizations, bug fixes, and additional features and will continue to install new SVN builds regularly.

Doron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2006
    Nahariya
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    If people will say they are not using it it might give the wrong impression that it is not need.
    I think it is important to add this option:

o Due to technical problems I cannot use it - But I am looking forward to use it.

gamackey1337

March 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Oh, I forgot to mention one of THE most important reasons why MediaPortal is SO good: the support! Your website is great, lots of really good information and guides, easy to use, and the forums are very helpful. Plus, you all use really good forum software that I can actually search through and find stuff, unlike most forums that are nearly impossible to search, taking hours to find just one thing after wading through hundreds of posts because of a terrible search implementation. No headaches here....great website, excellent forums, awesome software!

For a tech like me, you guys just make this too easy. I realize it does need to be easier to set up for *anyone* to be able to do it, but I'm sure it will get there eventually.

alpax

Portal Member
    September 1, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    At this moment using GBPVR for TV/PVR works better for me. More details - here.

ccason

Portal Member
    August 8, 2005
    Italy
    and a other one who thinks client/server architekture is required/the only pro

Chris, this was more of a emphasis on installation and my own personal experience, we all know the benefits of a running TV application, and it's ability to grab EPG\record\multistream (same transponder) as a service, but the only downside, which i believe will change, is the complicated setup, involving mutiple exe installs.

This may be fine on a multi seat setup, but for a single seat needs to be refined so that everything is automated as one install. I know i am jumping the gun and trying to see the Future, but for the average potential user we need to go simple.

Then the argument starts, this is BETA, correct and everyone appreciates that, except the person, who may have limited knowledge, (and i would say that most people if not all have a high degree of computer know how on this forum) want to install a BETA program (just because its there) and have major problems, again it needs to be made clear that there is a working understanding of installing\configuration that needs to be done on installation, and this at this moment in time, is not plug and play.

Apologies if you thought there was any intention of demeaning TVE3, as it's a great advancement over the old, but would be nice if all necessary single seat installs could be done from one exe file (which may need to run script automatically to install\download mysql etc).

Anyway keep up the good work, it is appreciated.

Quoted. The same for me.
    I'm looking to a server/service installation of the TV engine, since I wish to get MP fully operational when it runs for Win XP Home standard users.
    However, a single install will be more suitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom