Calling all users: Do you use MyTV in MediaPortal? (1 Viewer)

Do you use MyTV in MediaPortal?

• No, I don't.

Votes: 158 12.4%
  • Yes, the one that comes along with 0.2.2.0.

Votes: 684 53.9%
  • Yes, TV-Server (Single Seat).

Votes: 191 15.0%
  • Yes, TV-Server (Multi Seat).

Votes: 211 16.6%
  • Yes, but I don't know which Engine I use.

Votes: 26 2.0%

• Total voters

f0rmula

Portal Pro
January 25, 2006
Cambridge
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
and a other one who thinks client/server architekture is required/the only pro :confused:

thats why i did a very quick (and not complete)
TV-Engines comparison
-->>here<<--

I don't really know what else tvengine3 provides either, other than multiseat, which is why I use it.
Most of the documentation seems to emphasize the client/server feature. I've not really read anything that specifically expands on other features provided.
Could you point me at some info please?

Thanks!

James

Larionof

March 8, 2007
Home Country
Finland Finland
I don't really know what else tvengine3 provides either, other than multiseat, which is why I use it.

If you would bother to look at the link's list, you'd get the answer.

Why I use Server:

1) You can record multiple channels with one card
I have three cards since we have three separate channel groups( or w/e they are called)​
2) You can view the channels over local net with a client sw
3) It recognises the receivers automatically

And lots more.

Anyway, It's great with all its faults

f0rmula

Portal Pro
January 25, 2006
Cambridge
Home Country
If you would bother to look at the link's list, you'd get the answer.

That's a rather aggressive when I just asked a polite and simple question.

I've since found this, http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/TV-Engine_0.3/overview , which I assume is what you were referring to by "link's list".

I thought I'd read this whole document before, but either I missed this section, or it's been added since I read it.

In either case, starting a post like that just makes you sound rather obnoxious.

James

Larionof

March 8, 2007
Home Country
Finland Finland
That's a rather aggressive when I just asked a polite and simple question.

In either case, starting a post like that just makes you sound rather obnoxious.

James

:sorry: James. Did not mean to be aggressive nor obnoxious, not even at Friday. Just that the post you quoted included the answer. Thus I just pointed out the points. Infinityloop has posted the same argument already several times to equal questions that you presented.

I just wanted to point out that the chart he made gives a good overview of the advantages that the servers gives you.

I myself use a mixed mode setting where all of y computers use the server, the server itself as well. So there are more advantages than just the server-solution.

And, James, keep in mind that the forum is international so you have to have a filtered mind when reading the posts. I, a Fenno-Scandian person do not speak English as my native language, albeit I speak it quite fluently, and thus sometimes some sentences put out might sound harsh but not being that.

f0rmula

Portal Pro
January 25, 2006
Cambridge
Home Country
:sorry: James. Did not mean to be aggressive nor obnoxious, not even at Friday. Just that the post you quoted included the answer. Thus I just pointed out the points. Infinityloop has posted the same argument already several times to equal questions that you presented.

Aaahh.. I see what's happened here. I missed the last paragraph of InfinityLoop's post. It was center justified, so I just thought it was his signature, and not directly relevant to the post he was making. :)

I'm sorry too! *sob* Group hug! :)

James

itbrl

Portal Member
October 16, 2006
Potchefstroom
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
My vote is on the TVServer BUT; Mediaportal 0.2.2.0 is stable and I use it everyday. There are some problems to be sorted out on the TVServer before I will start using it.

The TVServer concept will be the way forward. I have already been testing the software and will also start to post my problems to the support pages. But please don’t stop the good work and thanks for everybody’s input and work on this super project.
:D

f0rmula

Portal Pro
January 25, 2006
Cambridge
Home Country
I use the normal engine as the new tv server uses to much memory on my system. I only have 512MB and with server it uses more than that.

Really? I user the tv server and it seems fine on a 512MB machnie. And that machine also runs a 64MB Linux virtual machine.

I really doubt the tv server should be using quite that much RAM. Anyone more informed care to comment?

James

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    and a other one who thinks client/server architekture is required/the only pro

Chris, this was more of a emphasis on installation and my own personal experience, we all know the benefits of a running TV application, and it's ability to grab EPG\record\multistream (same transponder) as a service, but the only downside, which i believe will change, is the complicated setup, involving mutiple exe installs.

This may be fine on a multi seat setup, but for a single seat needs to be refined so that everything is automated as one install. I know i am jumping the gun and trying to see the Future, but for the average potential user we need to go simple.

Then the argument starts, this is BETA, correct and everyone appreciates that, except the person, who may have limited knowledge, (and i would say that most people if not all have a high degree of computer know how on this forum) want to install a BETA program (just because its there) and have major problems, again it needs to be made clear that there is a working understanding of installing\configuration that needs to be done on installation, and this at this moment in time, is not plug and play.

Apologies if you thought there was any intention of demeaning TVE3, as it's a great advancement over the old, but would be nice if all necessary single seat installs could be done from one exe file (which may need to run script automatically to install\download mysql etc).

Anyway keep up the good work, it is appreciated.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    and a other one who thinks client/server architekture is required/the only pro :confused:

thats why i did a very quick (and not complete)
    TV-Engines comparison
    -->>here<<--

Most of the documentation seems to emphasize the client/server feature. I've not really read anything that specifically expands on other features provided.
    Could you point me at some info please?
    if i can point you to it? :mad:

you did not had a look at the comparison i linked to in that post uh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom