Calling all users: Do you use MyTV in MediaPortal? (1 Viewer)

Do you use MyTV in MediaPortal?

• No, I don't.

Votes: 158 12.4%
  • Yes, the one that comes along with 0.2.2.0.

Votes: 684 53.9%
  • Yes, TV-Server (Single Seat).

Votes: 191 15.0%
  • Yes, TV-Server (Multi Seat).

Votes: 211 16.6%
  • Yes, but I don't know which Engine I use.

Votes: 26 2.0%

• Total voters

sunsetdk

Portal Pro
October 18, 2005
Nordborg
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I use the one comming with 0.2.2 + svn because the tv server isn't stable enough. But i'm reinstalling at this moment. And i i'll try the tvserver again this time(single seat).

But i'm really missing the powersheduler too (I know that mediaportals PS will be used if MP is running)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Thanks for the comparison, however, I think it is somewhat pro-TV3. Only all the positive things from TV3 is mentioned, whereas, the areas where TV2 is superior is not mentioned.
    Like:
    Build-in support for the Hauppauge Blaster
    Powerscheduler support
    none of the PLUGINS you list is a feature of the TV-Engine!
    those are all additinal plugins with have nothing to do with the capabilities of the TV-Engine itselfe. ;)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I really want to use the new TV engine, I think in single seat mode it will make the downstairs PC a lot better (don't have enough tuner cards for all the overlapping shows on the same channel, faster surfing and that sort of thing).

Unfortunately for the downstairs PC, powerscheduler is a must and while the upstairs PC is always on, I use the web interface to record shows quite a lot.

That rules out both PC's from TV3 for the time being, but I can see some excellent work being done in the changelog so I am just hanging out for either of these two features to work then I will jump across.

On a side note, TV2 is working better than ever for me now. It's just the extra features that I need.

tigerente

Portal Member
    July 11, 2006
    To be honest - the only reason why I'm waiting for the TVEngine is it's capability to record true MPEG streams instead of MSDVR. I would also be happy if this functionality gets integrated into 0.2.3 without the new TVEngine - or I'd even prefer it in the short-term as the TVEngine will probably contain some unexpected bugs whereas the old MyTV might be more stable.

What I expect from a HTPC software is that it is a good replacement for alternatives (VCR, HDD-recorder). That is, it must be *stable*, must support a power scheduler and must record to files that might be easily transferred to friends (which is not the case with MSDVR). I like to choose single audio streams in multi-lingual broadcasts and like channels to be scanned and sorted easily, even in the case if there are many (as e.g. for DVB-S). All this is currently integrated into the Software that comes with Terratec DVB cards (TerratecDVB). Of course, it is not a replacement for MediaPortal, but at least that's why I still use it for recording TV: Currently, it supercedes MediaPortal in all mentioned aspects in this paragraph (too bad).

Nevertheless I appreciate all the effort that goes into MediaPortal and hope it will be a replacement when it is ready for release. Keep up the good work!

DarkWader

Portal Pro
    October 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I use the one that comes along with 0.2.2.0, untill tvserver is stable, then i will start using it.

joe531

Portal Member
    January 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Right now, I use it to watch, and not record. I leave that up to my stb dvr. However, I plan on buying a second pvr-150, then I'll give up the stb dvr, and let MP do all of the recording.

Oh, and I love MP. Greatest piece of software, ever. :D

nabicat

April 3, 2005
    Main issues right now in not installing the separate tv engine is the manual multi step installation and the high hardware requirements. Why not choose an open source database engine with lower requirements and simpler installation?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Main issues right now in not installing the separate tv engine is the manual multi step installation and the high hardware requirements. ?
    no clue what you are talking about :confused:
    where does the TV-Server require much resources?
    one of our team mebers is using it on a Pentium3 PC
    Why not choose an open source database engine with lower requirements and simpler installation?
    ermmm????? someone not read the manual uh?
    mysql is supported too :p

btw. where is the M$SQL-Server installation complex?
    downlowad -> run installer -> enter a passwort for sa user -> done :confused:

sometimes i get the feeling that ppl just write something, without even testing it PROPERLY first! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom