Can I turn on and off the live recording of television?

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1 Talk' started by DJA, April 28, 2012.

1. DJA

DJA New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    I am new to MediaPortal. Is it possible to turn on and off at will the live recording (DVR like functioning) of television channels – either individually or grouped?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hairlesshobo
    • Premium Supporter

hairlesshobo MP Donator

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    The only way that I am aware of would be to remove the schedules that you have setup, but I assume this is not what you are looking for.. is it?

4. DJA

DJA New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    No, my scheduled recordings are not the problem.

Live recording or "Timeshifting" (as I believe it is referred to as on MediaPortal) is the problem. By "live recording or timeshifting" I mean that feature which allows for pausing, and replay of live television. This is a wonderful feature for viewing live television; however, it is a nightmare for those of us that distribute video on a cable channel system. Modulators are used to place a video signal over an unoccupied cable channel – which can then be distributed throughout a facility or home. Low-resolution modulators cost a few hundred dollars. High-resolution modulators cost upwards of $1500, and thus are used primarily in commercial facilities. The purpose is to distribute video and audio to multiple locations within a facility or home simultaneously. Timeshifting defeats the purpose as it does not allow for simultaneous viewing.

MediaPortal is a great solution for receiving and allowing selection of multiple video sources. I'm told that Hauppauge's Win7 allows for toggling on and off timeshifting (live Recording); however that defeats the purpose of having a comprehensive media center.

Does anyone know how to accomplish turning on and off the "timeshifting" feature on MediaPortal?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!