Cant play .wav files with dts sound (only whitenoise) (1 Viewer)

Skar

Portal Pro
July 28, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi there,

when i try to play a .wav file with dts sound i only get whitenoise. I have installed PureAudo Player and asio4all.

Heres a log from trying to play the dts .wav and afterwards a normal .mp3.

Log

Any Video file with dts works fine using SAF5.0.

thx for any tips.

Skar

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is because DTS in WAV files only works if your audio is being untouched along the way. What is happening here is that the soundcard is adjusting the sound (probably resampling) which changes the 1s and 0s in the file so your amp does not see it as a DTS signal any more.

Have a read of Bitperfect - cmediadrivers - "Bitperfect" / "bit-exact" explained - Project Hosting on Google Code

This is a limitation of your hardware/drivers.

You can however use WMP Player and AC3File to play DTS files directly

Skar

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Cant play .wav files with dts sound (only whitenoise)

I dont understand this. Isnt it the same with DTS movies then? Those are correctly passed through to my Amp unchanged. Why isnt it the same with music files? The Hardware setup in Windows regarding my sound output is the same.
    I dont even use a Soundcard, i use the HDMI out of my Graphics Card directly to my SV-Receiver.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Cant play .wav files with dts sound (only whitenoise)

I dont understand this. Isnt it the same with DTS movies then? Those are correctly passed through to my Amp unchanged. Why isnt it the same with music files? The Hardware setup in Windows regarding my sound output is the same.
    No they are different. A movie will be a container (AVI, MKV etc) and when you play the file it will determine that the audio contains DTS and it will get passed through to your amp. With a WAV file it does not know what is in it (in fact WAV files only store uncompressed audio). Having DTS audio inside a WAV file is a bit of a trick and only works if the audio gets to your amp untouched. When you playback a WAV file the content is treated as uncompressed audio and passed to your amp as such, your amp then realises it is actually a DTS signal and plays it back.

If/When the audio gets messed with on the way out it destroys the information which tells your amp that that it is in fact a DTS stream so it just reads the 1s and 0s as normal audio and hence the white noise.
    I dont even use a Soundcard, i use the HDMI out of my Graphics Card directly to my SV-Receiver.
    You are still using a soundcard, just the one inbuitl into your graphics card

Skar

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

OK i installed wmplayer and ac3file. Does wmplayer automatically use ac3file? i cant find a installation manual only the "compiling" readme which i dont understand.

Plus i still dont understand why it doesnt work with pureaudio. I thought it was used to bypass the exact problem u described about my soundcard.
    Can you throw me a link or explain a bit deeper what to do with wmplayer/ac3file combo pls.
    I managed to have the wmplayer plugin handle my wav/dts files but its still whitenoise.

thx
    Skar

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country

Plus i still dont understand why it doesnt work with pureaudio. I thought it was used to bypass the exact problem u described about my soundcard.
    PureAudio bypasses many issues like this within Windows. The actual hardware / driver side is not changed by PureAudio. As LordMerlin says changing the output sampling rate may solve your issues for these files but as soon as you play a track at a different sample rate (AC3 files tend to be at 48Khz) you will get the same issue.

From the link I posted about is says
    a playback chain (player software => kmixer/audio service => driver) can be tested for whether or not audio processing takes place: if the chain is bitperfect, the receiver decodes the DTS, and if the chain isn't, the receiver plays white noise.
    PureAudio and ASIO can allow you to bypass the middle section of this chain but if the driver is messing around with the audio then DTS in WAV files will never work (changing the sample rate is often enough to change this but is driver/hardware dependant)

Can you throw me a link or explain a bit deeper what to do with wmplayer/ac3file combo pls.
    I managed to have the wmplayer plugin handle my wav/dts files but its still whitenoise.
    These need to be DTS files not WAV files. I think you can probably just change the extension to DTS, these will then no longer be treated as WAV files and you relying on an unchanged stream being sent to the amp but the files will be identified as DTS and sent to your amp as they are in films.

Skar

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I tried both of those possible Solutions already over the last days during all the Tries.
    Renaming to .dts or .dtswav changes nothing.
    Also setting the Sound to 44.1kHz changes nothing.
    Neither with PureAudio+ASIO4ALL nor with WMP+ac3file/filter (not even with WMP alone outside MP) do i get anything else but whitenoise

What works is renaming the Files to .dts and play them with Winamp+AC3Filter plugin, it even works bitperfect then with my Receiver showing DTS. Which i dont understand cause its the same Driver(AC3Filter) and the Hardware is unchanged.
    Problem is i cant use Winamp as an external player cause it opens, but only shows a Drive Letter and wont play the File(s).

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country

What works is renaming the Files to .dts and play them with Winamp+AC3Filter plugin, it even works bitperfect then with my Receiver showing DTS. Which i dont understand cause its the same Driver(AC3Filter) and the Hardware is unchanged.
    If it works with winamp and AC3Filter then it should work in MP using WMP player and AC3File. Open up the DTS file in WMP and see if that works. If it does then chances are you are missing DTS as an extension for WMP player or it is also used by PureAudio or main MP player.

Please post debug logs if it works in WMP but not inside of MP

Problem is i cant use Winamp as an external player cause it opens, but only shows a Drive Letter and wont play the File(s).
    WinAmp is fixed in 1.2 but that should be a last resort as this will work.... (just take a little persuasion)

Skar

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Neither with PureAudio+ASIO4ALL nor with WMP+ac3file/filter (not even with WMP alone outside MP) do i get anything else but whitenoise

Thats the thing... Even when i start WMP all on its one i cant play the files (getting whitenoise). Do i have to activate ac3filter in WMP somehow or should it use the filter on its own?

I dont even have an AC3filter icon in my tray so it doesnt seem like WMP uses it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom