Capture Card (1 Viewer)

3dgreek

Portal Member
October 11, 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
On TV Server it simply is not detecting my capture card- WMC7 picks it up no probs but mediaportal isn;t. IT's the AverTV HD PCIe card, also has a built in DVB-T tuner (MP detetcs this but not the capture).

Any help very much appreciated

3dgreek

Portal Member
October 11, 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne
Home Country
A generalised might or might not isn;t really the a good way to post things- good lisy of suggested manufacturers would do you better.

I can access ther various inputs on the analogue tuner, can also see the digital tuner now but now the main issue is being unable to add a software encoder. No matter what encoder I add it simply does not show up in TV Server- this includes a few of the ones you have listed as suggested and I also have a ton of codecs that can encode from various things- not 1 shows up as installed.

Is there a specific way of importing of encoders into Media Portal? Before I can even tell if I can tinker with this card to get it working I need to have a software encoder working. I have looked elswhere on this forum and in no place is there a simple concise explanation of adding encoders to the tv server- this is quite a crucial thing.

Can you please let me know how it's done.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    A generalised might or might not isn;t really the a good way to post things- good lisy of suggested manufacturers would do you better.
    With the number of tuners out there that is simply not possible.
    Besides that, in general we don't endorse specific manufacturers.
    Playing favourites doesn't always work out so well when it comes to requesting private information or technical support.

I can access ther various inputs on the analogue tuner, can also see the digital tuner now but now the main issue is being unable to add a software encoder. No matter what encoder I add it simply does not show up in TV Server- this includes a few of the ones you have listed as suggested and I also have a ton of codecs that can encode from various things- not 1 shows up as installed.
    Well I guess you need the right definition of "add" then.

Is there a specific way of importing of encoders into Media Portal? Before I can even tell if I can tinker with this card to get it working I need to have a software encoder working. I have looked elswhere on this forum and in no place is there a simple concise explanation of adding encoders to the tv server- this is quite a crucial thing.

Can you please let me know how it's done.
    As I said in the other thread, you don't add a software encoder to TV Server as such - you register it with the operating system.
    This is no different from any other similar Windows software. N-PVR, WMC... all the same.
    The difference is in which encoders are compatible with the various HTPC software products.
    The software packages that you install register their encoders for you, so in general nothing additional is required unless you are pulling the DLLs and AX files out and registering them manually.
    If you've installed a bunch of software and restarted the PC (important!) and no encoders show installed = "yes" -->here<-- that indicates that either the encoders that you've installed are not compatible or MP doesn't recognise them as compatible.
    The later is quite possible as MP recognises compatible encoders by name and the encoder vendors aren't always so consistent with their encoder filter naming schemes.

Does that assist your understanding?

Quite honestly this is a complex topic and that is precisely why we don't provide official support for tuners that require software encoders.

So what have you installed?

3dgreek

Portal Member
    October 11, 2012
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Home Country
    It's not complex- You list encoders media portal supports INSIDE Media Portal- when I try to install those encoders Media Portal does not accept them, in return you then blame the maufacturers instead of addressing the internal issue. I simply want the encoders I have installed registered within TV Server so it can use them- just how it is shown. Luckily I didn't go and pay for any software encoders since no doubt you blame them and not the shortcomings of tv server. Why is it so hard to simply add a software encoder- a software encoder that is already listed in Tv Server as wroking but not installed- the encoder IS installed, TV Server just won't pick it up! Perhaps you should just try and explain HOW to do it- which file needs adjusting etc etc

The same card and drivers work fine with WMC7.

PS The sole reason I am looking at moving to TV server is because of the android support and the fact XBMC can use it and XBMC is running on android quite happily now

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It's not complex...

Mate - I'm trying to help but it seems in your frustration that you're trying to provoke me (?).
    I have analog tuners that require software encoders. The advice I'm trying to offer is based on years of experience and frustration with them. Trust me - it is complex. I'm not going to explain all the issues to you because at the end of the day it sounds like you just want your hardware to work and you probably don't care how. At least please have the respect to take me at my word, or alternatively I'm happy to let you figure it out yourself.

You list encoders media portal supports INSIDE Media Portal- when I try to install those encoders Media Portal does not accept them, in return you then blame the maufacturers instead of addressing the internal issue.
    To what internal issue are you referring?
    I'm not trying to blame manufacturers. It is a fact that they change names and interfaces as mentioned.
    They do this because part of the way they earn money is to license their encoders to 3rd parties such as tuner vendors.
    For example, Hauppauge redistribute Mainconcept.
    TerraTec, TechnoTrend and Twinhan use Cyberlink.
    etc. etc. etc.
    When they do that, the encoder vendors change names and customise various things.

I simply want the encoders I have installed registered within TV Server so it can use them- just how it is shown.
    Okay. Let me ask you a question.
    Do you understand that those lists represent the encoders that have been found to be compatible with TV Server over years of testing?
    That being the case, the usual approach is to install an encoder [via installing software that contains said encoder] that is in that list rather than try to add items to those lists.
    I could explain how to add items but it is not exactly straightforward unless you're familiar with databases (SQL) and DirectShow. That is part of the complexity I was referring to.
    In order to try and avoid taking half an hour or more to do that, I asked you what software you have installed in an attempt to get a compatible encoder.
    In return you seem to have ignored my questions and taken your frustration out on me.

Luckily I didn't go and pay for any software encoders since no doubt you blame them and not the shortcomings of tv server.
    I'm trying very hard not to be offended.
    Not at your opinion of TV Server but rather that you assume I like to blame and make excuses, which to me implies that you think I don't know what I'm talking about.
    If you don't like TV Server you're free to use any other software that you like.

Why is it so hard to simply add a software encoder- a software encoder that is already listed in Tv Server as wroking but not installed- the encoder IS installed, TV Server just won't pick it up!
    Please answer my previous question: what software have you installed?
    Alternatively, what encoders do you have installed that you think TV Server should be recognising?

Perhaps you should just try and explain HOW to do it- which file needs adjusting etc etc
    As mentioned above, at this point I'm trying to avoid explaining that as (1) it is quite time consuming and (2) the chances of this being helpful are not clear to me at this point. I would like to clarify that it is absolutely necessary before doing that.

The same card and drivers work fine with WMC7.
    Yes, that doesn't surprise me.
    Microsoft distribute encoders with W7.
    Unfortunately they are not compatible with MP. We've tested and confirmed this.

mm

3dgreek

Portal Member
    October 11, 2012
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Home Country
    I am trying to add encoders that are in the list mate. Specifically cyberlink which I've used with this card before and know they work. Installed the latest set of cyberlink stuff- still shows as not installed in the list. I also have various others that are in the list already on my system from various things over the years but again, not one is displaying as installed when they are.

Frustrating is not the word when you've tried everything with 10's of restarts to test things.

Also, I don't use the MS encoders for the card in WMC7, they caused stutter and can't remember how I have it setup TBH, it'll be hidden in the shark007 settings somewhere.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am trying to add encoders that are in the list mate. Specifically cyberlink which I've used with this card before and know they work. Installed the latest set of cyberlink stuff- still shows as not installed in the list. I also have various others that are in the list already on my system from various things over the years but again, not one is displaying as installed when they are.
    Thanks. :)
    Is this system running a 64 bit operating system?

Frustrating is not the word when you've tried everything with 10's of restarts to test things.
    Understood.
    Given this and in lieu of having a lot of time tonight (it is 11pm here and I'll be going to bed in the next hour or so), would you be willing to allow me to log in to the machine real quick and see what I can do to help?
    Specifically:
    1. I will use GraphStudio to check exactly what encoders you have installed.
    2. I will check the TV Server log files to confirm that it is reporting accurate errors.
    3. If necessary I will attempt to register one or more of the encoders that you have in such a way that TV Server will think they are supported.

I'm offering to do this rather than explain right now as it would be faster for both of us, and as mentioned I'm time constrained tonight.
    If you agree to this please download and run TeamViewer (no install required). When you run it, after agreeing to the terms it will give you the option to run or install. Please choose the run option then start a private conversation with me to share the 9 digit peer number and 4 digit pin.

You'll be able to watch what I do over my shoulder. :)

Also, I don't use the MS encoders for the card in WMC7, they caused stutter and can't remember how I have it setup TBH, it'll be hidden in the shark007 settings somewhere.
    Okay.

Regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread