Capture Card (1 Viewer)

3dgreek

Portal Member
October 11, 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I can't let anyone log into this mate, it's used as a business server as well and has a hell of alot of sensitive info on- not that I don't trust you, just have to protect client info.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmm, okay - understood.
    Well then lets do what we can. :)
    Please do the following:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Zip up the files you find there and post the zip file here.

We'll do without GraphStudio and use DxDiag:
    1. On Vista or 7 (or modern Windows Server OS) click start button, type dxdiag and hit enter. On XP (or older OS) please click start->run, type dxdiag, click OK.
    2. Click "save all information...".
    3. Post the txt file that is generated here.

Please also confirm which version of TV Server you're running.

Thanks. :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks again. :)

The TV Server log files do indeed confirm that you need the software encoder, which is good.

The DxDiag info lists all the DirectShow filters (decoders, encoders, multiplexers... everything) registered with the OS on that PC.
    According to that info, I can see you have the following encoders installed:

AVerMedia MPEG Video Encoder
    Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Encoder
    Microsoft MPEG-2 Encoder
    TMI H264 Encoder
    SB MP3 Encoder
    Microsoft MPEG-2 Audio Encoder
    Microsoft AC3 Encoder
    TMI AAC Encoder
    WMVideo8 Encoder DMO
    WMVideo9 Encoder DMO
    MSScreen 9 encoder DMO
    DV Video Encoder
    ffdshow video encoder

Of these, most are not suitable, but the bolded ones might work in some software - unfortunately none of those are MP-compatible.
    So I'm not sure what software you have installed but this is why TV Server is not able to identify any suitable encoders. They just don't seem to be registered with the OS.
    I note that there are indeed some Cyberlink *decoders* in the list, but what we need for the tuners are encoders.

mm

3dgreek

Portal Member
    October 11, 2012
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Home Country
    Found an ancient old version of intervideo- TV tuner found it!!! Problem being it's only picking up the scart feed which is SD and can't seem to use the RGB or HDMI HD feeds.

IS there an HD encoder you know that works?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Problem being it's only picking up the scart feed which is SD and can't seem to use the RGB or HDMI HD feeds.
    Hmmm, okay.
    I've had a second look at the DxDiag and there appear to be three stream sources available from the tuner:
    1. The DVB-T tuner.
    2. The analog tuner/crossbar - according to your tv.log file this appears to be linked with the analog tuner and the composite and s-video sources (AKA SCART)
    3. The HDMI/component input.

MP is not going to be able to access the HDMI or component input due to limitations in our code. The code was designed for analog tuner support, and the capture input support was an afterthought.
    If the HDMI and component inputs were on the same "crossbar" as the analog tuner then they would be available, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Sorry I didn't notice this before as I was focused on looking for encoders.

IS there an HD encoder you know that works?
    In the context of an encoder, HD vs. SD depends on the settings of that encoder.
    According to the product page that you linked earlier in the thread, the AVerMedia encoder is capable of this. So when they advertise that they support HD encoding it means that their encoder has a 1080i setting.
    The question would be, does the Intervideo encoder have a similar setting. I don't know off the top of my head but I suspect not (especially if it is "ancient" as you describe).
    As I recall, the Intervideo encoder settings are available in MP configuration... but since you're using XBMC that makes it a bit trickier.
    You could attempt to access the settings via GraphStudio - checking the filter property pages - but that is a pain on W7. You need to register additional DLLs which MS decided to remove from the bog-standard OS after XP.
    I'm also not sure whether changes in the settings would stick and apply for MP when configured this way.

Given that support for the HD inputs is not going to be possible with MP as mentioned above, is all of that "moot"?

3dgreek

Portal Member
    October 11, 2012
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Home Country
    Right, so it can't access the HD side of the card on the HDMI and YBR feeds. Not to worry then.

Know of any HD capture cards everything is working fine with? It's for my Virgin HD set top box. SO to go with the capture I have to try and get my head around setting up an IR blaster mnaually to change the STB channels. Wish there was anice little list of channels I could could import for the IR blaster to work. Shame the WMC7 interface for setting it up is so easy but no streaming functionality. TV Server does it all albeit a bit of a nuisance to setup right.

3dgreek

Portal Member
    October 11, 2012
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Home Country
    the colossus- heard few good things on them. Know any shortcuts on importing all the virgon channels for the guide and IR blaster?

Oops- cancel that, there seems to be a wee guide on setting them up there[DOUBLEPOST=1350126528][/DOUBLEPOST]NUtS- schedule direct doesn't support the UK. Now where do I get that info from...bugger

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread