Ceton CableCard TV tuner with Mediaportal (1 Viewer)

thattexaskid19

Portal Pro
January 5, 2010
Yes, there is only one computer working with Mediaportal -it has the TVServer on it, the tuner in the PC -everything is self-contained.

Attaching logs..

View attachment 74382

just glancing at the tv.log, i noticed:
Code:
2010-12-28 02:12:19.245057 [TVService(5)]: debug: BDASource device count is 0

thanks for your help again man

EDIT: i'm thinking about doing a fresh install of the TVServer portion of Mediaportal... i dont have anything at all in there working so its no loss to me. good idea?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Exactly what I didn't want to see :(
    The meaning of that debug is simply that no BDA tuners were detected. The Ceton is a BDA tuner, so that is where it should have been picked up. Like I said before, I wanted to put more debug into the function that gets the list of devices (the debug that says "BDASource device count is 0" simply echoes what is returned by a more complex function), but logging is not available in there...

I notice there is also an error in the error log. I'm going to chase that up first and see where that leads me...

[Edit (in response to your edit question): sure, go for it if you have the time]

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Alright, here's another debug version to try. I've hacked the device detection function (that I couldn't get logging from earlier) into a place where debug output can be logged. Let's see what we get...

Attachments

• TVLibrary[Ceton_detection].zip
      150.9 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

I have really racked my brains about what could be causing this issue. To be honest I am completely at a loss to explain it. I don't *think* the error in the log is related, but even that is difficult to explain. Short of an installation or permissions error, the only thing that I can think of that would explain something like this is DRM (which is entirely plausible under the circumstances)...

Would it be too much to ask to get you to completely uninstall MediaPortal and TV Server (removing settings as well) and then reinstalling as administrator? I doubt it will help but it is all I can think of.

By the way, the error you saw in the log is [according to Microsoft] apparently not an error - it is what happens when you try to get the list of devices/filters from an empty category. Of course we have the screenshot to prove that the BDA Source category is *not* empty, but "empty category" is the result we're getting back from our query. I can't do any more debugging than what I'm already doing. The function that actually gets the list is a system (DirectShow) function. If it returns no devices then TV Server gets no devices. Simple as that.

From my perspective it would be interesting to know if there are any other categories within GraphStudio that contain any Ceton tuner entries. I'd also be interested to know if the tuners would show up if you did a fresh install of W7 and didn't install any Microsoft updates (especially PlayReady and DRM ones!), but I guess that is really beyond the scope of this investigation.

I apologise that I haven't been able to sort this out :sorry:

thattexaskid19

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2010
    yeaa ive already tried full reinstalls of MP... i appreciate your help tho. might need to wipe the hard drive clean and do a full windows reinstall :/ ill see what i can come up with...

its just frustrating because i know it works bc user trev123 got it working somehow and hes no longer active... :/

71891d1290302608-digital-cable-card-setup-info-needed-cards.jpg

^^^ his screenshot of TV-server
    not sure what to do now :/

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    yeaa ive already tried full reinstalls of MP...
    Do you intentionally run the installer as administrator though?

i appreciate your help tho. might need to wipe the hard drive clean and do a full windows reinstall :/ ill see what i can come up with...

its just frustrating because i know it works bc user trev123 got it working somehow and hes no longer active... :/
    I fully appreciate that. It doesn't make sense to me either, and I wish he would share what he knows or did too. Even if he had responded, I'd wager that he'd say that he just plugged it in and it appeared. I note that he said he couldn't get scrambled channels working anyway. Obviously that is probably because there is no explicit support for the tuner yet, however we would at least see what needs to be done if TV Server would just recognise the tuner...

not sure what to do now :/
    Neither am I - I'm completely out of ideas :(
    Obviously I don't have a Ceton tuner here otherwise I'd do a clean install of W7 on a spare partition myself. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm probably of no further use to you unless you go ahead and do a full W7 reinstall or take a look and see if there Ceton devices listed in other categories in GraphStudio.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I note that he said he couldn't get scrambled channels working anyway. Obviously that is probably because there is no explicit support for the tuner yet

Cable cards cannot be supported by open source applications when it comes to the encrypted content. We simply wont be able to comply with the DRM requirements.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I note that he said he couldn't get scrambled channels working anyway. Obviously that is probably because there is no explicit support for the tuner yet

Cable cards cannot be supported by open source applications when it comes to the encrypted content. We simply wont be able to comply with the DRM requirements.

Not even FTA channels?
    Any ideas as to why the tuners aren't even detected?
    You're probably right, however I'd rather not give up so easily.
    If we added support for the PBDA could tuners like this be [even partially] supported?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom